• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Had to turn aggression off (Spoilers)

User Info: Hozama

Hozama
1 year ago#1
Early on in my playthrough, I complained about the nonsensical encounters found on the first Titan. But somehow, I managed to plow my way through on BS encounter after another until I moved to the next area, where things settled down a bit. There were still BS fights, where I'd be fighting one lone enemy, when suddenly 3-4 more enemies or a random elite would appear and kill me without warning or a chance to escape.

Then came the final area, or at least what I'm assuming to be the final area. My good stars, this is so bad. The entire ruined city area is just one massive horde of monsters after another. And yet somehow they made it even worse in the tower itself. One random fight and enemies will literally come out of the wall to gang-bang you.

If it isn't those self-destructing freaks, it's those flying annoying buggers that constantly seal your Blades, or reset your affinity along with their stupidly long invulnerability duration.

I come across the first large robot, surrounded by 4 smaller guys. I manage to draw the 4 away one at a time to kill them, then go to fight the big one. Guess what? It just up and spawns 2 more enemies. I mean, seriously?

The whole area is just gang-bang central. But I manage to somehow get past it and reach the bridge. What is my first real fight there? 4 smaller guards and the large ass tank. Fine, I'll draw them away. Wait, they're all coming? Fine, 5v3 it is. Oh, wait. Here comes a dragon, and 3 Artificial blades. And a large flying fish thing. 10v3...... That seems fair. YEEEEEEEEEEP!

10 minutes later and I beat them. 20 steps later and there are 3 more Artificial Blades waiting for me. I'll just avoid them and...... That dragon just dropped another giant tank thing right in front of me, which is right in front of ANOTHER giant tank thing.

And that's when I broke. Enough is enough. Aggression is now off! So I walk past the artificial blades, past the dragon and large tank thing and start walking past the 2nd and guess what happened? 5 more dudes jumped out from behind a wall to ambush you while you fought the 2nd giant tank.

One cutscene later and I'm in a large room, filled with the giant robots that poop out other robots, flying debuff buggers, alarms that pull enemies from all around the area to you and self destruct bots.

What the actual hell? This isn't how you design proper encounters; just throwing tons of enemies at the player all at once. I do not remember the previous games, even in their final levels, doing this. This game's difficulty leans WAY too hard on sheer number of enemies to provide a challenge. Or random elites that you can't do anything about.
My gameplay channel. Random videos from a random gamer.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNB4v3BYqS6hIFDvG99cUg/playlists

User Info: End_King_Peach

End_King_Peach
1 year ago#2
Jfc. My 12 year old brother navigated the game fine. Did he have bad run ins with enemies? Yeah, but he took a minute to try things differently. It worked.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but of all the potential things the game can be criticized for, this is just nitpicky as hell.

But I'm glad that new features working out for you.
20: New User (2)
Our Greatest glory is fighting to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Confucius

User Info: Hozama

Hozama
1 year ago#3
Since when are poorly designed encounter nitpicky? Nitpicky would be harping on and on about how awful the lip synch is. Having enemies LITERALLY spawn from the walls is not good design. It's lazy.
My gameplay channel. Random videos from a random gamer.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNB4v3BYqS6hIFDvG99cUg/playlists

User Info: Silly_One

Silly_One
1 year ago#4
It's intended to be that way. The game expects you to find a way around it. It's a challenge...
You don't like it? Maybe the game isn't for you. If you want to play 1 vs. 1 you can always go play Tekken or something...

TL;DR: Git gud
I hate to be that guy, but in this case it's true.
This isn't a signature.

User Info: End_King_Peach

End_King_Peach
1 year ago#5
Ah yes, having monsters in Morytha jump out at you in an area literally infested with them makes no sense at all. Perhaps they should be lined up single file, back turned to you and facing a wall. Please tell me more about how something you struggle with is solely poor design.

Are you seriously asking for convenient enemy placement? Yes, let us move all enemies way over here, out of the way of any path the player is going to travel.

If you're having that big a problem with mobs:

-Give the lure feature a try
-Realize most of the mobs are possible to run past
-Get good

The only BS enemy placement I'd ever really noticed was that level 80 Aspar beside the Arachno in Mor Ardain. Which you can avoid by not being impulsive af and thinking for all of three seconds.
20: New User (2)
Our Greatest glory is fighting to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Confucius

User Info: Nextgrandcross

Nextgrandcross
1 year ago#6
This poor slob wouldn't last 5 seconds in X, or the first XC game for that matter.
FC: 3196-4054-9565
Ditto, loudred, lilipup

User Info: nonexistinghero

nonexistinghero
1 year ago#7
Silly_One posted...
It's intended to be that way. The game expects you to find a way around it. It's a challenge...
You don't like it? Maybe the game isn't for you. If you want to play 1 vs. 1 you can always go play Tekken or something...

I hate to be that guy, but in this case it's true.

Pretty much. It's annoying, but you're expected to endure or to find a way around it. I suggest not turning them off until you reach endgame or postgame.
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.

User Info: Gaia093

Gaia093
1 year ago#8
You basically just suck. A thread about this is pretty normal for people just starting out, but this is at least your second one.
Silly_One posted...

User Info: RainingMetal

RainingMetal
1 year ago#9
It's rather late in the game to be surprised by things like this. I would have expected someone to crack when exploring Gormott and being pecked at by those damn birds.

Remember, you can bypass these ambushes by running like hell. They won't deploy for a while. For that tank boss, you can take the underground passage to get past it.
Common sense, isn't.
Switch FC: 6419-5458-5297

User Info: ninplayer

ninplayer
1 year ago#10
I thought that area was great. It felt like an incredible dangerous situation to be in, which a lot of JRPGs fail to convey with their lategame areas because by then your party is usually so strong. I really loved feeling like any encounter was a serious risk
https://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. Had to turn aggression off (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived