so is the game heavy on biblical symbolism and allegories?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. so is the game heavy on biblical symbolism and allegories?

User Info: ParagonCrossing

ParagonCrossing
7 months ago#1
Elysium sounds like it parallels "the garden of eden" especially with the fact that the people were banished from it or something like that?

obviously no spoilers,
but is that too farfetched to say? do xeno games typically walk in those waters?
Smash, Pokemon, Animal Crossing

User Info: Sentinel07

Sentinel07
7 months ago#2
ParagonCrossing posted...
Elysium sounds like it parallels "the garden of eden" especially with the fact that the people were banished from it or something like that?

obviously no spoilers,
but is that too farfetched to say? do xeno games typically walk in those waters?

To say they "typically walk" is an understatement.

Xenogears and Xenosaga will have your head spinning in their symbolism and religious allegory. Xenoblade is rather tame by comparison.

ParagonCrossing
7 months ago#3
Sentinel07 posted...

Xenogears and Xenosaga will have your head spinning in their symbolism and religious allegory. Xenoblade is rather tame by comparison.

i actually love games that do this, xenogears is definatly on my list as a game i need to play asap
but being that XC2 is a nintendo game i wonder if the parallels are just nothing, since nintendo is super delicate about not putting themes like this in their games. even though most jrpgs are filled to the brim with biblical symbolism

User Info: Sentinel07

Sentinel07
7 months ago#4
Sentinel07 posted...

i actually love games that do this, xenogears is definatly on my list as a game i need to play asap
but being that XC2 is a nintendo game i wonder if the parallels are just nothing, since nintendo is super delicate about not putting themes like this in their games. even though most jrpgs are filled to the brim with biblical symbolism

The Xenoblade games mostly operate like typical JRPG's, as they'll spin some religious symbolism mixed with typical RPG tropes to soften it a bit. Gears and Saga on the other hand pretty much crank it up to 11 in that department, hence why their stories are often the most talked about aspect of them.

As for Nintendo, they typically don't do anything if the game mostly has "fantasy religion" like Xenoblade does. However, Gears and Saga directly reference real-world religions and twist them. Not sure how they would feel about something like that.

ParagonCrossing
7 months ago#5
Sentinel07 posted...
The Xenoblade games mostly operate like typical JRPG's, as they'll spin some religious symbolism mixed with typical RPG tropes to soften it a bit. Gears and Saga on the other hand pretty much crank it up to 11 in that department, hence why their stories are often the most talked about aspect of them.

As for Nintendo, they typically don't do anything if the game mostly has "fantasy religion" like Xenoblade does. However, Gears and Saga directly reference real-world religions and twist them. Not sure how they would feel about something like that.

interesting, honestly you're really convincing me to go on the PlayStation store and snag up xenogears for $10 lol

anyways, i'm really excited to play XC2 now. stories with lots of symbolism to dissect are always a treat, if XC2 can deliver something like that then i'm sure we're in for a great game

User Info: DuranmanX4

DuranmanX4
7 months ago#6

obviously no spoilers,

the only series with more obvious Christian symbolism is Shin Megami Tensei
Retail Wii U and 3DS games: https://sta.sh/02egamz324w0
Retail PS4 and VITA games: https://sta.sh/09xbomh9bc4

User Info: katanaRahl

katanaRahl
7 months ago#7
DuranmanX4 posted...

obviously no spoilers,

the only series with more obvious Christian symbolism is Shin Megami Tensei

Litterally punch god in the face dont think you can get more symbolic than that haha... It is surprising in a way that SMT is so nintendo focused it really feels like ninty should have persona (since 3) and sony should have mainline SMT

User Info: Emerald_Melios

Emerald_Melios
7 months ago#8
Even XCX retained traces of symbolism; some of Luxaar's lines paint the Ganglion as a sort of fallen angels.

User Info: JustWatch

JustWatch
7 months ago#9

obviously no spoilers,

Also it occurs to me that Pyra is a blade... with the element of fire.

Flaming sword...that the archangel wielded to guard Eden after the people were banished? So Pyra may have a different driver awaiting her at Elysium and that's why she needs to return?

Plus all the different titan-countries names are references to the "deadly sins" in different languages?

World tree? Totally Ygdrassil from North mythology upfront, but possibly a red herring reference and really a low-key tree of life reference?
Spankworthy Jester.
IG= Seanmw1214. Switch= SW-6099-7422-0031

User Info: Payback85

Payback85
7 months ago#10
Yes, I'm sure maid Poppi is very symbolic of something in Gnosticism.
Something about a Plague of Stars...
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  3. so is the game heavy on biblical symbolism and allegories?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived