• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Classic Gaming
  3. Advice for using game saves on N64?

User Info: JACKBUTTMOMMY

JACKBUTTMOMMY
2 months ago#1
You may recall over the pandemic I got into modding, hacking, and cheating with as many systems and games as I could - at least for those I had as a kid or are very acclaimed, multiplayer, or filled with secrets.

Right now getting cheats and N64 game saves working is at the top of my list. Normally, I understand this could easily be done through an Everdrive. SWIM tried it on an Everdrive+ but couldn't get it to work. Sketchy websites, different save types, needing to make sure the file names match, and having instructions for a different version of the Everdrive proved futile. An attempt at running a different version of Everdrive on the cartridge with a different micro SD card also failed. As did forcing the correct save types. The fact that it is a cheap Chinese knockoff probably doesn't help, either.

I, however, do have a serial port, and am more of a purist when it comes to these endeavors. Thus, I am considering using a DexDrive again. Graciously, most of the saves here seem to support it. The fact that they are mass produced and decently priced helps. I suppose my question is if investing in one is worth it or if other methods are recommended. Tips on using saves for cartridge based saves may also prove to be useful. Perhaps I'll have to track down those completed cartridges if I really want to? Or maybe they can be a select few I play through entirely again. Physical may have the additional bonus of being able to use a GameShark, but batteries and investing make it more hunting and pecking. With a DexDrive, I could in theory also back up and upload my own saves as well.

Here is a thread I made when starting this journey.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/916387-nintendo-64/79336628

Ideally, I'd like a solution that is pretty straightforward. I guess the choices are investing in a real Everdrive or the other peripheral mentioned in the thread, or going physical with a DexDrive along with perhaps a GameShark and cartridges. Thanks to those of you who may have some experience and insights. Reddit seems to have old posts related to this but I can't seem to load them - not sure if they purge or were removed due to piracy relations or what.

User Info: JACKBUTTMOMMY

JACKBUTTMOMMY
2 months ago#2
For anyone who might be able to help out/is interested:

I got a DexDrive running on Windows 2000? Or XP. I’ll check. I used the most recent software. The least recent software had issues. At first I also got an error with the recent software, but it no longer seems to appear and just had to do with the internet connection as far as I can tell (which makes sense as my desktop doesn’t have one - I complicated things further with another system and USB stick).

Anyway, everything seems to work… until I try it with the Everdrive in terms of using the memory card with a game backup.

Seems the Everdrive won’t use saves from online saved on the device itself or save games from the memory card now. And I don’t know why. It’s an Everdrive+.

I’m also running a “later” version of Windows and had that error msg. As I understand it, 95 and 98 are recommended. I don’t see that being the issue, though.

I’m guessing I need to try the DexDrive with a physical game at this point. Getting my Everdrive to use saves would be nice though. The games I play and save on it work great. But new saves via memory card or transferring them to the device yield nothing.

I also understand a GameShark can help with transferring saves to cartridges or even the EverDrive. So I guess I might need that anyway regardless of the path I take if I want to save games that save to the cartridge itself. Unless I get saves on the Everdrive virtual memory from transferring them on the computer instead of the DexDrive and GameShark, I guess.

Suffice to say, this is getting to be a much bigger project than I anticipated.
  1. Boards
  2. Classic Gaming
  3. Advice for using game saves on N64?
  • Topic Archived