• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Classic Gaming
  3. Anyone like or hate The Video Game Critic?

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
2 years ago#1
The first time I visited that site was about 15 years ago. It was amazing how many games he has gone through. Other than being curious about certain games that are reviewed, I haven't visited it on a regular basis in about a decade.

For being mostly a one man army in reviewing (A few of his friends have put in certain reviews in, a few of which being RPGs), it's not the worst site in the world. Gets the point across most of the time in a paragraph. Unfortunately, I don't think the guy has any patience or puts a stronger effort compared to other sites. A number of the reviews, even though the reader votes may be small, really differ. I'll use his SNES section as an example.

F-Zero Critic: D Readers: B+

The Final Fight games are graded horribly by Critic (Dave Rzomek or whatever his last name is) but the readers voted them as better than what he thought they were. There is also the opposite for certain games he may love but readers hate.

It's love or hate for me regarding the site.
Professional athletes lack intelligence to understand real world issues.

User Info: Risperdali

Risperdali
2 years ago#2
I've never even heard of him
https://time2kill.home.blog/
It's time for games. It's Time To Kill.

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 years ago#3
Risperdali posted...
I've never even heard of him
---

User Info: Hamton

Hamton
2 years ago#4
Just visited their site and I like it! Looks old school. I will dig deeper later today.

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
2 years ago#5
sull56ivan2010 posted...
Gets the point across most of the time in a paragraph. Unfortunately, I don't think the guy has any patience or puts a stronger effort compared to other sites

This is on-point. I like his succinct approach to the reviews, but it is painfully apparent that he's going for quantity over quality: once you realize he's only spending just enough time with each game to make his little overview, it undermines the value of his assessment.
10/429

User Info: mbd42

mbd42
2 years ago#6
16-BITTER posted...
sull56ivan2010 posted...
Gets the point across most of the time in a paragraph. Unfortunately, I don't think the guy has any patience or puts a stronger effort compared to other sites

This is on-point. I like his succinct approach to the reviews, but it is painfully apparent that he's going for quantity over quality: once you realize he's only spending just enough time with each game to make his little overview, it undermines the value of his assessment.

Exactly. I enjoy VGC's reviews but you have to take them with a grain of salt for the reasons you mention.

Look at his review of NES Gyruss for example. His biggest complaint is that it's too easy but it's obvious from the posted high score that he didn't even come close to beating it, so his opinion of the overall difficulty is meaningless.

https://videogamecritic.com/nesfh.htm?e=88752#rev1710

And when he's not complaining about a game being too easy he'll complain that it's too hard. He got a lot of flack for his Contra Hardcorps review. I don't remember Hardcorps being any more brutal than Contra III which he gave a positive score.

https://videogamecritic.com/gencc.htm?e=79731#rev1196

User Info: uffbulle

uffbulle
2 years ago#7
I check in there occasionally since a few years back. Don't really trust his/their opinion on something I haven't played though, considering the low grades for RKA, Golvellius and a few others which don't make sense when similar games of similar quality have really high grades.

It seems his current mood is what matters most when grading a game, and he doesn't seem to look into things he may have gotten wrong before publishing nor adjust ratings in retrospect. So why do I keep going there? Because they post often and they play a lot of retro games.
http://minirevver.weebly.com - Mini-reviews, guides and more.
https://platformadventure.weebly.com/ - Platform adventure/Metroidvania history guide

User Info: ZoqFotPik

ZoqFotPik
2 years ago#8
It's really not worth it. I remember the last time I went to VGC, it was before they aggregated their readers opinions (and their forums were filled with readers with differing opinions).

VGC was another "hot take" opinion done for both quantity of opinions (so they could have an instant level of legitimacy by having a "padded" resume) and as an unexpected/planned benefit, created enough backlash that people signed up just to disagree.

This technique is even used by bloggers (we have one on this very board) who speak out for the sake of celebrity. (In an age where celebrity is a measure of power/monetization.)
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~

User Info: Polaris

Polaris
2 years ago#9
I spent a couple minutes comparing reader votes to TVGC votes.

There is a trend of games he rates better than his readers: sports games. However his overatings are not that numerous, with only 1-2 games per most systems where he rates it more than 1.5 letter difference above his readers.

Games he rates lower than his readers are where the major discrepencies lie. There wasn't any obvious trend of what type of games he was underrating, but there were quite a lot with 2.5 letter difference or greater.

I want a reviewer who has their own tastes and isn't a slave to the majority. A reviewer who conforms too closely to reader opinion is probably repackaging content from sites like Metacritic. Conformity isn't the best way to judge an opinion piece. So many in the reviews industry are afraid to rate anything low and inflate their scores (perhaps to avoid offending publishers), so I find it refreshing to see a game critic that isn't afraid to leave bad scores.

As for FZero, the D rating is closer to how I would rate it than the B+

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
2 years ago#10
As I said in the OP, I don't think the guy has any patience or he does not put in an effort. A lot can change between 1999 and now. I'm going to assume he is in his 50s (if not late 40s) because he is one of those arcade freaks that wants short bursts gameplay all the time. Most of the stuff that isn't arcade like or pick up and play instantly, he won't have a stellar response, even if a review is positive.

I don't think he's creating controversy on purpose, but he can be rather stubborn.
Professional athletes lack intelligence to understand real world issues.
  1. Boards
  2. Classic Gaming
  3. Anyone like or hate The Video Game Critic?
  • Topic Archived