You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Who thought the cutscenes were a good idea?

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 weeks ago#11
Seraphil posted...
Eh, these "cutscenes" are just replacing all the dialogue scenes in previous games that just had the character art of the two characters on-screen over a text box.

This, I like this way better. It's fully voiced too - after playing Jump Force I actually appreciate the effort Koei did lol (and your not gonna get them all animated - c'mon now, there's thousands of lines of dialogue made in the game).

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
3 weeks ago#12
I don't like the dialogue cutscenes where characters just stand and talk with zoom in on their face. It's present in almost every RPG nowadays, and it looks very dull and boring.

It's just really bad in DW9 because the animations look terrible. DW9 dialogue animations look like those anime games where characters stand around and talk, and there faces never move.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 weeks ago#13
Raiden243 posted...
I don't like the dialogue cutscenes where characters just stand and talk with zoom in on their face. It's present in almost every RPG nowadays, and it looks very dull and boring.

It's just really bad in DW9 because the animations look terrible. DW9 dialogue animations look like those anime games where characters stand around and talk, and there faces never move.

It's a necessary evil to adapt such a massive book into the game properly. Like Lord of the Rings there is just so much dialogue and so many characters there's no way they can animate it all with the budget these games get (few would get that kinda budget to be fair). So few players have read the books I've found as they don't realise how much talking, planning etc takes place over actual combat - even Chibi was actually over before it even really begun.

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
3 weeks ago#14
Is it that jarring in a franchise that has always been filled with stuff like these?

https://i.imgtc.com/OAnZr6L.png
https://i.imgtc.ws/laWAAhh.jpg
https://i.imgtc.ws/8h4r0EP.jpg
https://imgtc.ws/i/w8378Cz.png
https://imgtc.ws/i/tt5T6ny.png
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
3 weeks ago#15
It's not a necessary evil; it's a horrid implementation that could have been designed better. It's a massive step down from the last two games.

Part of adapting a book (which isn't what they're doing - they're creating a game based off a book. Way different) is considering the destination medium which these buttscenes clearly did not. If the only way you can fit all the dialogue is to do it poorly that's your project telling you not to put in so much useless and intrusive dialogue.

User Info: daosiying

daosiying
3 weeks ago#16
RPGNoZero posted...
Is it that jarring in a franchise that has always been filled with stuff like these

This guy gets it. Does it look cheap in DW9? Yes. But it does look as cheap as previous games? No, but only slightly.

Either you get still portraits or you don't. And this franchise has never been a high budget game so expecting quality animations for what is now a throwaway plot isn't gonna happen.

Honestly I'd be more concerned with the creep of generic anime tropes in these games. Don't like how it's just named characters standing around talking with each other. Doesn't acknowledge that these people have standing and are supposed to be in command of armies.

Dark Symphony
3 weeks ago#17
daosiying posted...
This guy gets it. Does it look cheap in DW9? Yes. But it does look as cheap as previous games? No, but only slightly.

Either you get still portraits or you don't. And this franchise has never been a high budget game so expecting quality animations for what is now a throwaway plot isn't gonna happen.

What in the world is your point?

User Info: OrangePoet

OrangePoet
3 weeks ago#18
Just had another great encounter with the cutscenes. I’m playing as Guan Yu and Guan, Zhuge Liang, Zhang Fei, and Liu Bei are having a conversation about strategy in the middle of a road surrounded by a forest.

Budget is a poor excuse for this. The developers could atleast have them inside of a tent or a castle (full of NPC’s so the castle doesn’t look like a ghost town)... instead of on a freakin road.
PSN: BurningSun7 O death where is your sting? O grave where is your victory?

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
3 weeks ago#19
Imagine being this crazyDark Symphony posted...
daosiying posted...

The point: Chill
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

Dark Symphony
2 weeks ago#20
CircusMonster posted...
Imagine being this crazyDark Symphony posted...
daosiying posted...

The point: Chill

That's a stupid point and a stupid thing to say to some random person you don't know. You should also check out the term "non sequitur" alongside that other guy in that other topic. NO one here is "unchilled" because they don't like poorly executed cutscenes. It's dreadfully ironic for you to paint people with negative opinions about the game as irrational when your barometer for rationality is... you have to like the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Who thought the cutscenes were a good idea?