You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Loved DW 3-5 but didn't care for the rest (except 8). Will I enjoy this one?

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#1
I didn't care for the direction they took DW 6 and 7 but it felt like they brought the series back to its roots with DW 8, though I don't believe I ever got around to completing every single aspect of that game. I do love the DW series and since I recently got a PS4, I'm wondering if this one is similar to the older games or if they took it in an entirely new direction.

Also, I don't plan on playing online (if this even has an online feature). I really dislike watching videos simply to avoid spoilers, but if there is really no definitive comparison, I may have to check out a couple of LPs.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
1 month ago#2
Hard to say, this game is not really like any of the others. I’d maybe look up on a few RECENT letsplays

The reason I say recent is because 9 had a pretty barren launch at first, but was improved a lot through free updates, so id prioritize on reviews or videos that discuss the game over the past few months rather than a year ago
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#3
I see people talking about the season passes. Does the free content updates do enough to make it playable, or does it take hundreds of dollars of season passes to make it interesting?
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#4
STG Deathbot posted...
I see people talking about the season passes. Does the free content updates do enough to make it playable, or does it take hundreds of dollars of season passes to make it interesting?

Zero DLC is essential, patches covered what was needed.

User Info: daosiying

daosiying
1 month ago#5
I suggest just trying out the trial version. Lets you pick 3 characters of your choice and it supports MP if you have a friend who's willing to host a session.

That should be more than enough to see what you like since it lets you play a decent chunk of the game. Though I suggest avoiding anyone that uses throwing knives. The moveset just isn't good in this game.

User Info: SuperDWFan

SuperDWFan
1 month ago#6
Throwing knives never had a good moveset.
Life makes no sense when fish are gay.

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
1 month ago#7
SuperDWFan posted...

clearly a joke, it was easily one of the best weapon types in 8 and 8XL. easiest weapon to blast through ultimate with there. in 9, it sucks some major ass that's for sure.
You just lost the game.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#8
Taterzz posted...
SuperDWFan posted...

clearly a joke, it was easily one of the best weapon types in 8 and 8XL. easiest weapon to blast through ultimate with there. in 9, it sucks some major ass that's for sure.

Tried them in Empires (where I spend most of my time) and the lack of stagger makes/made them too risky to use in a life or death situation.

Enemies wielding them in 9, however, are actually dangerous since they can just spam them and the lack of stagger might make a player assume they're not getting hurt too seriously. I don't think I ever got K.O.'d by them, but I recall a certain Yellow Turban mission having a lot of them alongside magic and made for a deadly/awesome combination!

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#9
Taterzz posted...
SuperDWFan posted...

Nah they were even more s*** then, just because you could make something game breaking doesnt by default make them good.

User Info: KainFourteh

KainFourteh
1 month ago#10
Most didn't, so probably not.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Loved DW 3-5 but didn't care for the rest (except 8). Will I enjoy this one?