You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. anyone here? I'm a fan of reading three kingdoms, which DW game is for me??

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#21
Nhatalya posted...
BlueRougeGlider posted...
I respect the time these developers put into the game but you kind of have to wonder what they we're thinking

KOEI in a nutshell. Sometimes they make such strange, awkward choices.

To be fair they took a risk, they usually just make the same game for years at a time. As most said at launch of they didn't tag it with the 9 most would have been far more receptive of it as a risky genre shift spin off over a sequel.

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#22
BUT.. i've only played a bit. Maybe I should be more forgiving.. I respect the time these developers put into the game but you kind of have to wonder what they we're thinking

9's strong suit is when people stop talking and you start playing. The new battle system feels a lot better but is hampered down by the devs pretentiously taking away your agency and forcing you to have to put enemies in "states" to get the moves out that you want. Not a bad concept but no good when it's applied to what should be surface level moves. Want to use your R1+square string on an airborne opponent? Shut up! You HAVE to do this launcher (even though he's already in the air) to air combo RIGHT NOW!

The combat sections could also be longer rather than stilted start and stops vs small camps 90% of the time.

But the first playthrough with a character is kind of magical once you get over all the initial stupidities. You start to feel like you're in China, that there's a live world heart beating. That not everything is focused directly at you. Soldiers are stationed, waiting for your attack and making moves on bases and towns that you can go defend or recapture. The travel time adds to the immersion and juxtaposes the combat, making combat feel more like an event rather than the norm.

The main issue is the game doesn't really pay any of these features off. The long stories are for the most part not unique, long travel times are not met with a commensurate amount of gameplay (same goes for all the talking), losing a city or letting the enemy capture a point makes little difference, the music starts and stops between fights by default not letting you really get into any particular mood, the sharing of all your materials, while good as a band aid for THIS game, kills a sense of individuality between characters/kingdoms to a degree....

Basically the game is a bunch of disparate ideas not woven into a cohesive game. It's every day one developer's pitfall; thinking that a game's value comes from the ideas it has on display rather than the execution.

User Info: Locklan

Locklan
1 month ago#23
I would play both DW8(complete edition) and DW9 personally, because the games are structured very differently. Just from a narrative stand point, DW9 has a more grounded approach and more information....however the flow of dialogue and the voice acting is better in DW8(again the va itself is subjective, it was clearly in need of polish) and the game itself has a better grasp on what it’s trying to accomplish.

Also not to continue ranting on koei’s inability to do horses right....but playing a game like red dead and going back to the horse controls in DW’s....ugh, makes you want to break a controller.
"None are so fallible as those who are sure they're right"

User Info: Perkolator

Perkolator
4 weeks ago#24
7 easily has the best narrative and is closest to the novel, but this comes at a price. You are locked into certain characters for specific parts of the story and there are a lot of clones. Also, 7 has the worst co-op play since story mode is single player only. Despite all this, I really enjoyed 7 and was impressed with it's story mode. The only issue was that after the story ended, the game fizzled out as I didn't care for the conquest mode.

8 is also really good as it improves on the things 7 did and adds hypothetical routes, but 7 still does a better job presenting the actual story because of its focus.

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
4 weeks ago#25
BUT.. i've only played a bit. Maybe I should be more forgiving.. I respect the time these developers put into the game but you kind of have to wonder what they we're thinking

They where thinking to make the most sophisticated and superior game in Koeis “Warriors” series history.

In fact it’s no longer just a Mushu game rehashing the same thing for over 20yrs but just changing the button mashing patterns, maybe unlocking new scenarios, and a few new weapons like a rake or paint brush.

People cry about the “story”, but if anyone doesn’t know it by now, they just read the book.

DW is now thankfully evolved into an RPG that replaces the traditional turn-based combat with an advanced version of Warriors style combat.that requires you understand programming and not just mash buttons like a game you put a quarter into.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
4 weeks ago#26
ComingEvil posted...

They where thinking to make the most sophisticated and superior game in Koeis “Warriors” series history.

In fact it’s no longer just a Mushu game rehashing the same thing for over 20yrs but just changing the button mashing patterns, maybe unlocking new scenarios, and a few new weapons like a rake or paint brush.

People cry about the “story”, but if anyone doesn’t know it by now, they just read the book.

DW is now thankfully evolved into an RPG that replaces the traditional turn-based combat with an advanced version of Warriors style combat.that requires you understand programming and not just mash buttons like a game you put a quarter into.

Also, keep in mind that this is NOT a game you can just jump right into.

Not only does it take a little getting used to, but to do it best you need to do a LOT of farming/girding/hording of materials and items.

As it’s been out for a year, it would be best to buy a Season Pass and make use of the extra items, gold, and mini games to catch up and not spend the time the rest of us had to spend to start with.

Also, this is a place where you can (generally) get advice to movie through and develop more efficiently
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. anyone here? I'm a fan of reading three kingdoms, which DW game is for me??