You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. The State Of DW9

User Info: Aretha_Cairn

Aretha_Cairn
2 months ago#1
I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to give me a synopsis of the difference between the current, patched version of the game, and the original release?

When the game first came out I watched a bunch of gameplay and reviews and I was terribly terribly disappointed. Now we're one day short of its first anniversary and I've been told that the game is in a much better state. and with a free demo to boot. I unfortunately have limited download bandwith so I can't just download the demo willy nilly, but if there's a good reason to I will dedicate some of my internet to it, or the game itself. I know its a lot of work to do this, as there's been a prospective year's worth of patches to sift through, so if anyone does go through with it (or know someone who already has) they have my thanks.

EDIT: The PS4 version if there happens to be any system differences.
"Thank you. I want my journey to be full of laughter."
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
2 months ago#2
I got the game before release and been playing and even defending the game since day one. The version at launch was unacceptable. It was f***ing garbage and left a very bad initial impression.

These are a lot of issues that I encountered on release. The stuff I list does not include DLC.

Original launch version
- frame rate was garbage, it was unplayable on a regular PS4. On a Pro it worked but barely.

- A lot of glitches like boats floating all over the place and some missions would not trigger, way points pointed no where.

- Officer encounter scenes could not be skipped

-You could not skip siege weapons being deployed

-Bows were broken you could just hide somewhere and one shot everyone.

-no officer resetting

-Some gameplay mechanics did not work properly, a lot of players had issues with attacks that involve the triangle prompt, where it just did not work at all, but you were suppose to flick the analog stick in the direction of the enemy.

-You know the finishing moves you do when the triangle prompts appear? that did not have splash damage so it only attacked a single officer, even if there was 50 people around.

- Elemental gems did not even work properly, I recall Fire worked, Ice didn't do s*** and wind didn't do anything.

-Enemy Ai weren't aggresive at launch, they were DW8 level stupid.

-A lot of crashes.

-Fishing was horrible since you could only get one item at a time.

-Some missions could not be completed.

Current Version

-Framerate has been improved drastically, of course but there are still drops.

-A lot of glitches are fixed.

-Enemy AI somewhat put up a fight.

-Much easier to unlock characters

-Wallpapers are added to loading screens.

-Combat has been tweaked so now it is easier to do counters and assault rushes aka the triangle prompts.

- Finishers actually attack enemies around you

-Added photo mode which is fun to mess around with.

-Elemental gems work properly now.

- All of the cut scenes mid battle can be skipped.

-Addition of Ultimate difficulty

-Bows have been nerfed, and they added more bows to equip.

-Fishing and animal traps now net you multiple items at once.

-You can now change characters during story chapters assuming the character is present during that time period.

-Fast travelling is made easier.

The current version is a lot better than the launch version. The frame rate has improved, the gameplay has been tweaked a lot. Balancing has been adjusted.

At launch the game was s***ty and dreadful. But now at current version it's an average DW game.
(edited 2 months ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
2 months ago#4
Well first and foremost they had to address bad frame rate and hilarious bugs (some real WTF day one bugs were there lol). They also somehow didn't include Chinese dubs on Steam day one so Asians bombed the reviews in numbers quite unlike anything I'd seen in a while haha. Yeah launch was a bloody mess and they know it.

Anyway what's been added in free patches since then? From top of my head...

Co-op (on and offline)
Free Trial version
Lord gems (randomised stats so replay value in farming those)
Book of musuo (item to add more stats even if lvl 100)
Ordeals (some are DLC but some free, unique rewards to get from)
Synthesising (to add stats to items)
Boss monsters (farm synth items and Book of Musuo from)
Many combat tweaks (s*** players cryed at enemies dodging too much and not being infi-comboed, now they've put armour you have to break on unique officers before you can one shot execute them. There's a block counter too).
Bows (offer different equipple ones which different properties)
Free tat (BGMs, Wallpapers etc).

There is prob loads more but that's just off my head and I'm not going to research through all the old patch notes either just to make a stranger's life easier lol but it's in a far better place than launch and is a far more rewarding experience. Honestly if they released game as is now back then the game would have gotten a fraction of the heat though people will b**** about the game regardless.

Alot of the juicier stuff is inevitably paid DLC though like weapons, new scenarios and esp a batch of new characters but none of even that is essential to enjoy the game. As you said though - the free trial is your call. I'd recommend giving it a go, it's less a demo and more a handful of the characters complete stories free to use from start to finish and free version includes full co-op with other free/full game players. Do note weapon switch is disabled on it for obvious reasons. Try free version, if you like buy full game, it's cheap enough now.

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
2 months ago#5
Skode24 posted...
Well first and foremost they had to address bad frame rate and hilarious bugs (some real WTF day one bugs were there lol). They also somehow didn't include Chinese dubs on Steam day one so Asians bombed the reviews in numbers quite unlike anything I'd seen in a while haha.

Just to clarify, Steam did include Chinese dubs by mistake, but it was a console exclusive so KOEI REMOVED the Chinese dubs, and this is what pissed them off.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
2 months ago#6
Oh hey there Aretha, this is applefudge1 on psn. I'd be happy to share what has changed between the inital release and current version.

So first, the initial release was very obviously rushed and was not in any way polished. The framerate was not good and had constant screen tears on movie mode to the point where this mode was unplayable(switching to action mode would help this issue to good extent, but there's a bit of a graphics downgrade) as well quests completley breaking and being impossible to start or finish(ie, enemy officers that are required to be defeated never spawning) as well as other weird glitches like spawning in the f***ing sky, thank god there's no fall damage....The rest of the major complaints was the absence of several things that have been a staple in most other titles, like officer reset, co op, and weapon types, resulting in an overall lack of content since the only modes are story and
Free mode

Since the initial release and now, there have been over 20 patches(originally they were almost on a weekly basis since Koei was basically doing damage control, now we get them about every month) which has fixed the glitches as well as adding completley new and returning content. I'll just make a list.

Photo Mode
New gems
Officer reset
The book of musou(an item that can either reset your upgrade points or be used to give you more upgrade points)
Ultimate difficulty
The ordeals
The guage break system
Guard counters
AI has seen some improvements
Co-op, both local and online
The demo/free version
The f***ing framerate got a lot better.

In my opinion, this game is not the same game it was last year, and is now definatley worth buying.
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

Aretha_Cairn
2 months ago#7
Skode24 posted...
if you like buy full game, it's cheap enough now.

I live in Australia so H A H.

Jokes aside thanks everyone for the answers, this was incredibly clarifying. I've been a massive fan of Dynasty Warriors for ages, and I was disappointed by 8, after not being able to play them for ages (I jumped from 5 to 8.) So when I heard they were making a new one, I got excited again.....and they s*** all over my dreams, lol.

Glad to see its reformed somewhat. Mostwhat, if the almost overwhelmingly positive reception here is to be gathered.

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
2 months ago#8
Aretha_Cairn posted...
Skode24 posted...

Jokes aside thanks everyone for the answers, this was incredibly clarifying. I've been a massive fan of Dynasty Warriors for ages, and I was disappointed by 8, after not being able to play them for ages (I jumped from 5 to 8.) So when I heard they were making a new one, I got excited again.....and they s*** all over my dreams, lol.

Glad to see its reformed somewhat. Mostwhat, if the almost overwhelmingly positive reception here is to be gathered.

What disappointed you about DW8? Because that one is considered to be the best one by many people.

DW9 is a drastic change compared to the typical DW games.

Aretha_Cairn
2 months ago#9
Raiden243 posted...
Aretha_Cairn posted...
Skode24 posted...

What disappointed you about DW8? Because that one is considered to be the best one by many people.

DW9 is a drastic change compared to the typical DW games.

That was just me being uptight about my original DW experience, things like changing character's that I liked, and doing away with bodyguards and the quintessential Xtreme Mode gameplay that I love. Though I tell you I still have a real gripe with the way DW8 forces you into certain character roles to preserve the reality of the original events, and I just didnt see DW's point of existance as to accurately represent the original events. Clearly, Koei think otherwise, which is another gripe I have with DW9.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#10
Aretha_Cairn posted...
Skode24 posted...

Compared to the PS2 games though, this game's pretty easy (especially on Normal) so I'd give you a big warning on that. I never liked DW8, but that's partly because Empires made the game obsolete to me and other partly because it seemed identical to DW7 which I had played mere months before when I first got DW8.

The game can also be repetitive, although at what point and to what extend is a varying mileage.

Personally, I got bored of Wei's story after plaything through it as Cao Cao because they have the easiest mid-game and the busiest late-game. Which makes it easy because the enemies levels aren't catching up to mine, which would be 20-30 levels over since Ultimate Mode quadruples experience gain (compared to Normal) and with so many battles as Wei in the Three Kingdoms period it's rather easy to over-level. Although I have some methods of keeping a Decent Challenge; namely using only low or mid tier weapons and not wearing any DEF or ATK boosting accessories.

However I still enjoy Shu and Wu's stories (and maybe it's because I'm more partial to them, as I'm not as big a Wei fan as a I used to be) and most enjoy the Others stories. Free Mode is actually fun to play with in DW9 as you can essentially extend the presence of officers (like one-off Diao Chan) this way and play from any perspective you like in Free Mode (like Zhang Liao serving Lu Bu). Thanks to an oversight, you can even advance a character's story (like Cai Wenji) by playing the chapter she'd normally be in in Free Mode but in another faction (like Cai Wenji first appears at Chi Bi for Wei, but if you play as her in Free Mode for Wu and complete it, it'll count as having done her chapter in Story Mode so her next chapter will be playable from that point onwards. I note this because it makes it possible to vary things up a bit should you be bored with your faction but want more of the character, or have some crazy ideas in mind lol).

And as for difficulty; my review basically said the bulk of it, but basically crank it up as you feel the desire to and maybe not equip any defense or attack boosting accessories and maybe don't equip high tier weapons and that way you won't become literally invincible on the hardest difficulty midway through a character's long story.

Ironically though, enemy A.I. is much more aggressive in DW9 than 8 and the foot soldiers are especially aggressive, much like the PS2 Era. This wasn't how it was pre-patches, and i'm glad they're actually threatening now. Of course, if your defense is too high (usually by a combination of being over-leveled--which is easy to do on Ultimate--and wearing defense-boosting items) then it doesn't matter because you won't suffer any damage. But still, it seems like the devs have heeded players like me by fixing combat A.I., especially for the footmen.
Ya iz russki bot
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. The State Of DW9