• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Let Me Axe You A Question...

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#1
Am I the only one whose had trouble playing as Xin Xianying? Her axe is powerful, but it's hard to actually hit anybody! Zhang Liao with a guandao and ice gems may be a patient build, but at least I wasn't dying so easily and missing half my shots at officers!

It's a wildly different style, the poleaxe and guandao, that's for sure. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm sticking with wind gems though since that appears to be her preferred element.

So far though, I'm remembering Lu Bu's crappy launcher which would be hard to hit someone with and take him all over the place. Maybe I'm just used to less mobile characters, but hot damn is it like stepping out of E Z P Z land and stepping into H E L L when switching from a generic guandao to Xin Xianying's pole axe!
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
2 months ago#2
You might be using her wrong on axe-ident.

Use the Pike of Judgement and do the held-triggers, she can do decent damage that way.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#3
redroses_4life posted...
You might be using her wrong on axe-ident.

Use the Pike of Judgement and do the held-triggers, she can do decent damage that way.

Lol damage isn't a problem, she's a master of DPS! Problem I'm having is hitting my individual targets and avoiding damage. Zhang Liao as an Icy Guandao user was pretty easy to tank with since his stats naturally favored defense and the build only boosted it further.

I don't have the Pike of Judgement, not sure what it'd do either.

I've been relying on charged knockdowns to strike individuals, but her leap at the beginning can make it easy for enemies to dodge. Charged stuns are a bit more effective because of it, but again compared to the Guandao that's pretty sad since Guandao's knockdown was perfect for... knocking people down... followed by beating the crap out of them. The stun charge chain moves too much but since she doesn't leap during it, it's easier to actually hit people.

She's awesome in crowds though; stun, launch, then knockdown in that order is extremely affective. However, dealing with small groups or playable officers is a massive challenge since two of her chains have very poor aiming at the beginning of them and the one that can actually hit a lone target isn't that good for beating them down. It's an interesting conundrum, and I can't say I'm bothered by the challenge (quite the opposite, I enjoy it since tanky Zhang Liao was getting very boring at the end since the generic guandao moveset with Ice is basically perfect in exchange for requiring patience).

I ought to note that I'm limiting myself on purpose with accessories. Nothing that boosts attack or defense since by the time I'm overleveled the accessories just make me OP. Health and health-regen is fine, but nothing that increases attack or defense without sacrificing the other. I still want to keep the Decent Challenge going for as long as possible.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
2 months ago#4
Pike of Judgement reduces charged up triggers by half, VERY useful. You get it from the Arena I think.

I know for sure I used rolling a lot as Xianying, but I don't think I struggled too much with her.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#5
redroses_4life posted...
Pike of Judgement reduces charged up triggers by half, VERY useful. You get it from the Arena I think.

I know for sure I used rolling a lot as Xianying, but I don't think I struggled too much with her.

Perhaps TOO useful, eh?

Well, so far my best approach to guys like Gan Ning is to open with a Stun Chain and maybe occasionally the easy-to-miss launcher. I always miss the knockdown as Xin Xianying, at least against officers.

It's ironic that for her it's much easier to fight crowds than individuals. Still, I'm wondering if there's a groove I've yet to get or something since it seems like her, as a new and fresh face with great hair, is actually inferior in technique to the old guard and generic movesets. I've noticed the DLC Curved Sword is considerably different in function than the Regular Curved Sword. Namely, the first is great at dealing damage against small groups but poor at area-of-effect while the regular Curved Sword has no discernable weaknesses because its normal chain covers a lot of ground in a 360* radius and has a great crowd-controlling stun, not to mention a reliable launcher. Knockdown involves leaping, so perhaps best used against crowds or after jumping/falling.

Cao Cao's General's Sword was a beast. He was my first character and I had an ice build for him, and much like the Icy Guandao it was perfect for both survivability and hitting whomever I wanted to hit.

Meanwhile, glass cannon Xin Xianying's like an acrobat that does more dancing than damaging. An interesting contrast, but one I've got to figure out nontheless lol.

You have any particularly hard movesets to figure out/work with?
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
2 months ago#6
I don't remembe having any issues with her(I did her story very early) and actually thought she wasnt that mobile in her attacks at all, except for maybe her stun follow up.

What I usually do for weapons that are very bad at hitting individual targets(the sword and shield is REALLY bad at this) is to just turn the target lock on. Surprisingly this is more broken than most have cared to notice. I never miss them at ALL and it even seems to automatically adjust your character to always face them, allowing you pull off certain combos or maneuvers that would be a lot harder unless you move your control stick and camera with ridiculous timing.

I dont care for how the camera is lower while it is active though.
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#7
CircusMonster posted...
I don't remembe having any issues with her(I did her story very early) and actually thought she wasnt that mobile in her attacks at all, except for maybe her stun follow up.

What I usually do for weapons that are very bad at hitting individual targets(the sword and shield is REALLY bad at this) is to just turn the target lock on. Surprisingly this is more broken than most have cared to notice. I never miss them at ALL and it even seems to automatically adjust your character to always face them, allowing you pull off certain combos or maneuvers that would be a lot harder unless you move your control stick and camera with ridiculous timing.

I dont care for how the camera is lower while it is active though.

Funny you talk about having a hard time with the Sword & Shield as I found Mama and Daughter to be very easy with it. Lu Lingqi's terrible though, she's very squishy and the way the camera jerks at the end of her musou makes my neck hurt lol.

I don't really use target-lock though partly because of the camera hanging low and dragging me around, but also because it can make aiming a bit difficult (because maybe I want to aim a little away from the officer because I can guess he'll try to dodge there or has easier to hit friends there or something).

I've found the stun chain followed by the knockdown chain most effective with Xin Xianying and her launcher at long range. I'd definitely rank her low in terms of user-friendliness compared to Liu Bei or Yuan Shao or Generic Guandao, but I still managed to find her grove and she's got an awesome musou that's perfectly for slaughtering masses and punishing officers who get sucked into its black hole.

Her launcher is very poor though because the range, while long, is very narrow. It's tough to follow it up with the typical hit-enemies-in-air thing since only a few enemies are ever actually hit by the downfalling axe.

And that's uniquely HER problem, because the generic axe has a more baseball bat swing approach and I actually prefer far more due to it being more user-friendly. However, I decided to just stick with her base weapon because I'm half-way through her story anyway and don't feel like switching out to a new weapon, especially when it's so similar.
Ya iz russki bot
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Let Me Axe You A Question...
  • Topic Archived