You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Retrospective Poll: Rate Dynasty Warriors 9!

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#1
Now the game's been out for nearly a year, what would you rate her now?

Since activity's been slow (only four or so users appear to be active), I decided to plant some seeds to see some new action.

I made a similar poll half a year ago, and I'm pretty much where I was then, now: "Very good, but certainly some areas to be expanded upon", 8.

The main areas I think Koei ought to expand in are pretty simple: hypothetical stories, Others, and straight swords.

Hypothetical Stories: By this, I mean something pretty simple: make actions done over the course of the story (like savingDian Wei) count for something in the long run (like Dian Wei appearing in later scenarios, maybe even being playable). I'd like to at least see MINOR hypotheticals; like if I save X, X will appear in later scenarios; if I win the Battle of Chi Bi (by completing lots of sidequests during that chapter), Wei will have more confidence in future battles and the Wu/Shu will be on edge, thus buffing them up considerably to grant me a special challenge.

It looks like the second season pass's DLC scenarios will create hypotheticals of the more dramatic kind; what if Wei didn't fall and united China? What if Wu bypassed Shu and conquered the Riverlands, and then united China? What if Lu Bu's Chen Gong did X to save Lu Bu and thus give him a chance to unite China, Dynasty Tactics 2 style?

Overall, I'd say this is the biggest area for improvement. By rewarding the player story-wise, in small ways at least, it'd make the player's (at least mine) actions feel more impactful (in the story especially).

Others: Now this I've spoken at length about, but basically I want playables from the rest of China's major factions. The reason is twofold: #1, it'd be fresh and interesting, with great Hypothetical potential should they be playable beyond their historical limits. #2, it'd expand the usage of the countryside since much of China's south and far north, as well as northwest, is heavily underutilized story/mission-wise.

Combined with hypothetical routes, imagine the Nanman defeating Shu and going on to conquer the other Kingdoms. Imagine Liu Zhang repelling Liu Bei after beating back Dong Zhuo (who Liu Zhang historically escaped from as a hostage) and getting motivated to take Liu Bei's place in semi-history. Imagine Gongsun Zan and/or Yuan Shao coming down from the north and basically taking the place of Wei. Imagine Gongsun Yuan's revolt from the Northeast being actually playable, and after defeating Sima Yi you could conquer Wei and have fun from there. Or how about Ma Teng actually rescuing Emperor Xian and then proceeding to restore the Han? Or even the Wu Losers Liu Yao or Yan Baihu successfully forming a state in place of Wu and then uniting China?

The possibilities are endless, it'd basically be Romance of the Three Kingdoms (video game) meeting Dynasty Warriors in terms of story/gameplay potential.

Lastly;

Straight swords/jians. Now this one is the simplest; I just want to see the old straight swords that guys like Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Cao Cao, Liu Bei, --insert ruler here-- used to carry and not the stupid dao (curved sword) or sword & shield. Of all the weapons from the past I want back, I'd love to see straight swords and Dong Zhuo's old scimitar. The rapier is a poor man's replacement for a jian...

Well, that's all I got for "where I'd like to see improved/expanded".

I already wrote a review and in that I praised what I liked about DW9 and put down where I thought the game came up short (especially in how you can lose story-wise battles you win gameplay-wise).

Feel free to comment! Koei, at least America's division, might be listening and typing down creative ideas here might make their way into later installments. It beats endless b****ing, doesn't it?
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#2
8. Was a 7 for me but I gotta give something for the years worth of updates to add mechanics, co-op and improvements. Its a far better game now than what it was on release.

User Info: qwertyMrJINX

qwertyMrJINX
1 month ago#3
My favorite of the baseline games (as in, without accounting spin-offs, expansions, or Empires)

Changed the formula in some really interesting ways, revamped the combat in a way that streamlined things while still feeling familiar, and goes into a lot more detail as to what's happening in the story.

My main issue with the game is the voice acting. I don't really understand why they bothered giving this game both an English and Chinese dub if both were going to be this bad. Maybe they were hoping the irony-bros would latch onto it like with DW3? Nobody really likes DW3's dub, though, let's be honest.
There ain't nothing to get, you just gotta have that shine

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
1 month ago#4
wow almost a year already. damn i'm getting old.
You just lost the game.

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#5
qwertyMrJINX posted...
My favorite of the baseline games (as in, without accounting spin-offs, expansions, or Empires)

Changed the formula in some really interesting ways, revamped the combat in a way that streamlined things while still feeling familiar, and goes into a lot more detail as to what's happening in the story.

My main issue with the game is the voice acting. I don't really understand why they bothered giving this game both an English and Chinese dub if both were going to be this bad. Maybe they were hoping the irony-bros would latch onto it like with DW3? Nobody really likes DW3's dub, though, let's be honest.

I didn't mind it back in the day either lol (perhaps largely due to voice acting in games still being a relatively new phenomenon to me as I'd been gaming since the Atari and Commodore days lol).

As for 9 Dub it was passable - some real meh performances but some good ones too. I'm definately in the no dub, no buy camp these days even if it's like this one. WO4 was an absolute nightmare to induce via subs only.

The dubs were logical though - since strike ending new terms means it's vastly more expensive to use old voice actors as they're amongst the best in the business under union. Every session however short but be fully insured (hence dlc had no voiced Xu Shu, Han Dang etc as too expensive for just a line or 2 work), no uncredited work is allowed by union members either and so on. Koei can't afford to use the old ones anymore (some maybe but certainly not all) so this was the compramise and it's better than no dub. I actually honestly believe next time with same team will be better - nature of the business they'll learn and improve, was same with even the old VAs.

As for Chinese dubs, obvious next step - it's biggest market out there, the Chinese gvt is finally opening doors a bit to console market and it's literally RoTK home turf. Look at the reaction to the delay with steam Chinese dubs - it means the world to them to have them so going forth I fully expect them to stay (definately more likely than English ones going forward).

User Info: Animestar5000

Animestar5000
1 month ago#6
It gets an 8 from me ~ now I don't play this a lot but from what I have, its nice to see the effort they've put in and I think it is a refreshing and new experience on the DW games however it most certainly has its flaws.

For me, every battle feels in the sense that there isn't much moveset diversity, crowds feel smaller and idk if its just me but every single castle feels the exact same with the same strategy and stuff. Every town also looks and feels the same.

We don't have any new 'good' costumes. They casual clothes look great but a bit boring. I wqs hoping they would put some previous game costumes in as unlockables for ranking up or something.

House features feel pointless ~ you put in some furniture and you can stare at it all. Not to mention every single house layout is the same. I'm only going to compare because its open world but like Skyrim houses all have different layouts to them so I feel like this game has no excuses to do the same

Other than that for me, I really enjoy DW9. Getting co-op mode implemented in was incredible but for me I like my DW in the original style. That being said, I think I'd love to see Samurai Warriors go open world for 5.SW4 had some gorgeous locations so I think SW5 would work really well if they basically added what DW9 failed in!
Tecmo Koei = Best Games :D
Add me on PSN -----> Animestar5000

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
1 month ago#7
At launch it was 4/10 for the god awful framerate but now it jumped to 7/10 after many additions, improvements and adjustments to the gameplay. Unfortunately the presentation and voice acting are still terrible.

Should've waited until this year to release this it would have probably be better.

I'm glad KT stuck around for the 12 people who actually enjoy the game, easily they could have abandoned it to make another low effort cash grab (aka WO4), without doing anything to the peeps who like DW9.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
1 month ago#8
Where the hell did all the 8s came from? I didn't even know that there was more than 12 people that liked this game lol. Everytime I try to claim (outside of this board.) that DW9 iz awright, I get dogpiled on by hordes of people who come off like NPCs reading a script.

I gave it a six, I would've went with 5 since that's been my stance ever since platinuming it back in Feb or March but I never played DW9 with its recent additions (which should've been in the original disc release to begin with.) so I'm taking into account that it's probably slightly better.

I'm currently dl'ing the Dead on Arrival 6 beta to see how much of a disaster that game will turn out to be. It could be decent, I mean I was hype for Soul Calibur 6 but I thought the beta was so trash that I skipped SC6 when it came out & bought King of Fighters 98 Ultimate & Kizuna Encounter collection instead. (they call it a collection but seriously people only ever buy it to play Kizuna Encounter.)
Damn I miss SNK fighters, real SNK fighters not that Mark of the Wolves Capcom-style crap.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#9
HopesPeak posted...
Where the hell did all the 8s came from? I didn't even know that there was more than 12 people that liked this game lol. Everytime I try to claim (outside of this board.) that DW9 iz awright, I get dogpiled on by hordes of people who come off like NPCs reading a script.

LOL you should have seen ~13 10's pop up overnight from making the post! 8 used to be the highest before a lot of folks voted 10... suspiciously all of a sudden (and now 8's highest again)... and while it kinda makes sense for their to be a positive bias in the polls (after all, people who don't like DW9 are much less likely to vote their opinion--much less in a poll that assumes you liked the game enough to play it for more than a few hours), I would be more than surprised if they actually think DW9's perfect "like, totally".

But unfortunately DW9 WAS a mess on release, as I remembered quite a few bugs thanks to seeing some old videos. The game's been patched beyond recognition, things actually load properly and NPC townies don't phase through walls now! Plus enemies are actually aggressive and a bunch of little things too, like regularly using musous and more actively supporting each other.

I gave it a six, I would've went with 5 since that's been my stance ever since platinuming it back in Feb or March but I never played DW9 with its recent additions (which should've been in the original disc release to begin with.) so I'm taking into account that it's probably slightly better.
More than slightly, but the game still lacks things like hypotheticals and has the awkward contrast between player-action and story-telling (like winning Chi Bi as Cao Cao and then conquering Jian Ye in another chapter but Wu still wins Chi Bi and remains a thing even after losing their capital).

At this point, I've calculated 72% of the ratings as "positive" (6 or higher is "positive", 72% as of 94 votes say this game is positive so that's decent though it shows room for improvement) and ~74% (according to a poll I took) of 34 want to continue the Open World. 85% want to continue the Open World in another poll taken by another user.

Overall, DW9's looking to be a game that started off with a lot of crap but fixed itself up and could probably walk away with some dignity and prospects for an "improved" DW10 Open World. Or Samurai Warriors 5 as an Open World, since SW tends to piggy-back on DW but change a few things based on reception after DW pioneers it.

Personally, as I've said, I rate it an 8 by the metric above but the amount of time I've spent playing it and plan on playing it pushes the game up to a 9. 9 because it's highly replayable and unique (it's open world DW), 8 because I enjoy the Super Saiyans in Ancient China thing, and 8 because I enjoy the core concept and new direction.

But there were some really aggravating bugs at release, that made playing as Cao Cao pretty tough (and not in a good way) around the time Dian Wei dies... I hope that bug in particular has been fixed, as that was pretty much game-breaking. Besides that though, my biggest complaint early-on was the enemy A.I. being passive and too easy after a while (thankfully both of these things have largely been fixed) so now all that's left (and preventing 9 from being the best main DW game ever, I guess) is a lack of story-response to player-actions (like winning Chi Bi as Wei, conquering Wu's Capital, etc.) and hypothetical routes. They didn't/don't have to do anything major, just make some nods at least that Cao Cao basically conquered Wu but decided to troll them by letting their kingdom live for a few more decades. Or Dian Wei got saved, but now he's retired because he's gotta look after his kids or somethin' (lol). Little things like that would go a long way to improving the story's... relationship?... to player decisions.
Ya iz russki bot
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
1 month ago#10
SiegvonWal posted...
But there were some really aggravating bugs at release, that made playing as Cao Cao pretty tough (and not in a good way) around the time Dian Wei dies..

that's not a bug, you're supposed to open the gates for him. just like any other commander in danger, if you go too far off screen he'll die in seconds. this is nothing new and always been how DW calculates officers dying offscreen.
You just lost the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Retrospective Poll: Rate Dynasty Warriors 9!