You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why are fans so stubborn to want every character in?

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#21
Dark Symphony posted...
Skode24 posted...
and the rest who made 109x more posts about the baloon boobed brunette who got added to Wu with him.

Who? Lu Su?

And the likes of Lianshi are hardly close to being the problem. More women like Lianshi would make the game a lot better but they insist on focusing on the likes of Cha Cha, Dong Bye and Trashia.

They can't write a female character to save themselves so yes the likes of Lianshi is just as bad - she's ok in 9 as there's far more development for all but she was Zhou Tai wannabe in 7, there to just stand about and pose in 8. Wanna know a great female? Xin Xianying... Look at how that turned out. Gracia was fantastic choice but utter waste in how that went about her. Doesn't matter who they focus on, they'll mess it up women wise so gimmicky ones seem to work better with the audience over maturer ones.

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
1 month ago#22
Skode24 posted...
People are hardly up in arms we still don't have Cao Zhen

That's because Cao Zhen's importance in history is supplanted by Sima Yi in the novel. Putting in Cao Zhen basically admits Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang rivalry didn't exist.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: HA0U

HA0U
1 month ago#23
raiden's opinion: we should remove cao cao, liu bei and sun quan

three days later,
Report: A suspicious man has been found banned in multiple forums and /roastme burned on his computer.
Gott ist tot

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#24
Skode24 posted...
Dark Symphony posted...
Skode24 posted...
and the rest who made 109x more posts about the baloon boobed brunette who got added to Wu with him.

Who? Lu Su?

And the likes of Lianshi are hardly close to being the problem. More women like Lianshi would make the game a lot better but they insist on focusing on the likes of Cha Cha, Dong Bye and Trashia.

They can't write a female character to save themselves so yes the likes of Lianshi is just as bad - she's ok in 9 as there's far more development for all but she was Zhou Tai wannabe in 7, there to just stand about and pose in 8. Wanna know a great female? Xin Xianying... Look at how that turned out. Gracia was fantastic choice but utter waste in how that went about her. Doesn't matter who they focus on, they'll mess it up women wise so gimmicky ones seem to work better with the audience over maturer ones.

I'll still take the maturer ones but you're not wrong here. I'll also take all of Liansi's characterization over booboo like Dong Bai or Grassyass.

Grassyass being an extremely depressing missed opportunity...

User Info: StevoTheOutlaw

StevoTheOutlaw
4 weeks ago#25
I would settle for less playable characters if the playable characters had unique move sets. Also if the most of the important Npcs had their own character models.

User Info: silvereyes47

silvereyes47
4 weeks ago#26
"Let's do it with a smile".
"In the Name of the Valkyrie."

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
3 weeks ago#27
SiegvonWal posted...
Because these aren't traditional fighting games with casts of fictional characters but historically-based games with many of its characters being literally gods in Chinese and Asian cultures.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure normal fighting games have their detractors who don't like seeing their favorites taken out. I was a minor fan of Soul Caliber as I enjoyed 3, but I was bothered to see how they "Yankee'd" (that's what Japanese call wannabe Americans or wannabe American-style thugs) up Setsuka, my favorite character from the cast

I thought Setsuka was Half-White, it's even in her background story. At least she actually has a reason for looking White, unlike most of the other Asian characters, lol. Taki looks more Latina or Italian rather than anything Japanese. Mitsurugi only passes as Japanese coz he resembles Toshiro Mifune who himself didn't look Japanese either, LMAO!

As for Yankee, that's how I would describe Asuka from Tekken, she even speaks like one. Setsuka just came off as a sexy foreigner in Japanese garb.

A lot of fighting games use historical characters like Samurai Showdown. Not that'd I'd classify modern Dynasty Warriors as anything close to a fighting game. The movesets practically all control the same unlike in a Japanese fighting game where nearly every character has a completely different methodology on how they process moves & initiate combos. (Input motion character, charge character, parry character, etc.)

I would settle for less playable characters if the playable characters had unique move sets. Also if the most of the important Npcs had their own character models.

That's basically what Samurai Warriors 1 & 2 were like. I also enjoyed the character design way more during those two entries. Everyone looked demonic to match the Demon King Nobunaga, even the women looked demonic like Nohime. Now the designs are just modern anime probably coz the SW1 & 2 style doesn't sell well in Japan due to how modern Japanese gaming audience is mostly composed of obsessive neets who only care about waifus.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
3 weeks ago#28
HopesPeak posted...
I thought Setsuka was Half-White, it's even in her background story. At least she actually has a reason for looking White, unlike most of the other Asian characters, lol. Taki looks more Latina or Italian rather than anything Japanese. Mitsurugi only passes as Japanese coz he resembles Toshiro Mifune who himself didn't look Japanese either, LMAO!
I remember her backstory somewhat: she's half-English and an abandoned child raised by some swordmaster who dies in a duel with Mitsurugi, so yeah she's half-white but as a kid I had no idea until I read the sentences. I mean, there typically isn't much to give away the race of a character (between Japanese or some kind of European) in a Japanese video game or anime unless they make it obvious somehow (and me as a teenager was more impressed by Setsuka's sexiness than trying to decipher her race lol).

Still, she's half the reason why I loved Soul Calibur 3 lol. That, and Chronicle of the Sword mode and the branching story paths. It's the only Soul Calibur game I played significantly, with the blurbs on the back (something about creating a character and forging my own path) selling the game for me. It's a shame she lost her Eurasian appeal in 3 to look like a gangster in 4 and to not exist at all in 5. Or 6, at this point.
As for Yankee, that's how I would describe Asuka from Tekken, she even speaks like one. Setsuka just came off as a sexy foreigner in Japanese garb.
In which Soul Calibur? Her aesthetic is very different between 3-4, with 3 being my greatly preferred version of her and her being something like a Japanese femme fatale and prostitute lol (I forget the tells for a high class versus a low class one, just that her sash being worn in the front coupled with her neckline and revealed legs implies she's a prostitute). In 4 she looks like a Yakuza mob wife (from an anime at least, I have no idea how actual mob wives in Japan look lol. Only played Yakuza 0, and kinda paused after spending a lot of time running the hostess club lol!)

That's basically what Samurai Warriors 1 & 2 were like. I also enjoyed the character design way more during those two entries. Everyone looked demonic to match the Demon King Nobunaga, even the women looked demonic like Nohime. Now the designs are just modern anime probably coz the SW1 & 2 style doesn't sell well in Japan due to how modern Japanese gaming audience is mostly composed of obsessive neets who only care about waifus.
Back when Warriors was Great, eh? I loved the design of Samurai Warriors 1, although I wasn't keen on Ieyasu's design in 2 (or 4) and he was the new character I was most excited to play as back when I was a kid since he stood out majorly as an NPC. I honestly preferred using a generic Spear over that gun-spear but Nagamasa's lance, if I remember how I used to taste things correctly, I think I enjoyed whacking people around with.

Still, I wouldn't say "demonic" so much as "realistic". Like, just about every design that I remember from SW1 looked realistic and plausible and maybe had a minimalist approach at times. They even had a drastically different alternate costume that altered their battle and idle portraits (not exactly common nowadays in Warriors gaming) and I remember Shingen's alternate face scaring me as a kid lol.

Maybe that's why SW1 costumes have been consistently sold as DLC since, be it nostalgia or popularity. Although SW3 was when Nohime was at her sexiest, really... So yeah, too bad they don't sell old costumes from SW2-3 'cause I loved Okuni's from 2 and Noh's from 3.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
3 weeks ago#29
1: Isn't Setsuka straight white? That's what I remember.

2: These games aren't getting more anime because waifus sell, they're getting more anime because the newgen devs are fans themselves of waifus and they seek adulation from a small subset of diehard waifuchansan lovers over actual sales. If they cared about sales Cha Cha would look like she does in Nioh.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why are fans so stubborn to want every character in?