You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why are fans so stubborn to want every character in?

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
1 month ago#1
Fighting games get away with removing characters and adding them 3 or 2 games later all the time.

But not with Dynasty Warriors and even Samurai Warriors. Why?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#2
Because these aren't traditional fighting games with casts of fictional characters but historically-based games with many of its characters being literally gods in Chinese and Asian cultures.

Not to mention it's not like you could remove, say Yu Jin, and expect people not to wonder why a generic Yu Jin took his place when they could have at least reused his unique model or something.

Trying to remove characters from Dynasty or Samurai Warriors is not only bad for the player (because we all have our favorites, and some of them may be minor enough to be up first for the chopping block) but also for the story since literally everyone but Bao Sanniang and Zhu Rong is a real person and many of them are either legendary warriors, legendary rulers, or deified like Zhang Liao and Guan Yu.

Having said that, mentioning fighting games and Koei made me wish for Ayane to somehow pop in lol. Or for Da Ji to drop her balls a thousand years into her future (she was historically from around 1000 B.C. or so). Best thing about Warriors Orochi 3 was the massive cast, too bad there really isn't many battles and not much of a story.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure normal fighting games have their detractors who don't like seeing their favorites taken out. I was a minor fan of Soul Caliber as I enjoyed 3, but I was bothered to see how they "Yankee'd" (that's what Japanese call wannabe Americans or wannabe American-style thugs) up Setsuka, my favorite character from the cast and the only one of a few that I actually remember the name of all these years later. Not seeing her in 5 and 6 has kept me off, although what really got me in 3 was Chronicle of the Sword mode as advertised on the back of the box.
Ya iz russki bot
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Arethai

Arethai
1 month ago#3
Always viewed it more like Pokémon. They’d never dare remove a monster.
Friend Code: 1521-3102-6439

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#4
I've no idea for the life of me why people demand individual stories - no need for it, almost nobody finishes 90 stories and those that do are lying if they say it wasnt a tedious grind to do so and if anyone is expecting nearly a 100 completely unique stories anyway have clearly lost the plot.

Still issue is not character numbers, they can all be retained with no need for cuts but let most be free mode characters. Weird people praise DW8 like it was so superior when characters like Guan Ping were rendered pointless and nobody can recall the likes of Cai Wenji justifying ever being there - that tells me people are OK with not having individual stories so let's walk that path again.

I want a heavy focus on story much like DW9 delivers but without the weird fragmenting of important plotlines to certain characters and yet tossing in multiple sections of plot into single battles (people kept asking why they removed the Guan Yu 7 gates battle not realising it's IN the game and why isn't Zhao Yun the one saving Ah Dou in favour of this weird anyone can do those missions format... Help him do it, not replace him, every shoe doesnt have to fit every foot).

Easy solution is pick the chapter and pick the character for the battle, after battle give options to choose next character. Do NOT allow characters not supposed to be in said battle playable and retain the level and volume of script as in 9 (thus everyone can be relevant and spotlight is divided better than trying to script team Guan Yu at Hanzong when he doesn't need the exposure and most definitely wasn't there in the first place).

I do get the clones thing, here's hoping there's no clones in DW10 but it's zero issue at the moment with 9 as it's near a good year old now but feel it's only even such a big deal to many BECAUSE DW9 parades as a individual story driven game when it's not really and the story suffers it being a wannabe hybrid of individual story/kingdom story. Honestly I'd be satisfied with Wu approach alone where only unique non battle dialogue is inner monologue and thus EVERYONE gets to hear all conversations otherwise (but again stick to only those present).

User Info: sol_trigger

sol_trigger
1 month ago#5
i only play handsome characters and the girls lol

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
1 month ago#6
Honestly, even fighting games has been losing more guts in deleting characters compared to earlier game generations. Pretty sure Tekken didn't erase anyone ever from Tekken 5 until Tag 2. Then Tekken 7 delete some, and got dissed a lot.

Probably because internet is just far more prominent and easier to use today, so the whiny fanbase can be far more expressive and noisier than old days.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
1 month ago#7
Also, i never understand why this series seems to have tendency to make every single unique face in the game to be playable to player. Not sure why can't they just be NPC and boss battles?

Unlike fighting games where all characters are equal, this series provides enemies ranging from fodder soldier to officers, but they always feels so underdeveloped. Why can't the developer focus more on that aspect instead of just providing more useless fanservice playable faces?
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jerky_666

jerky_666
1 month ago#8
Arethai posted...
Always viewed it more like Pokémon. They’d never dare remove a monster.

To be fair, the latest Pokemon games have just under 80% of the Pokemon removed.

User Info: retypenewcode

retypenewcode
1 month ago#9
in fighting games balancing is a hhuge deal
not so much in Warriors games, they can simply balance out characters by equalizing the dps without much thought to animation, speed etc
Nothing to see here, move along.
*Points Down*

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#10
RPGNoZero posted...
Also, i never understand why this series seems to have tendency to make every single unique face in the game to be playable to player. Not sure why can't they just be NPC and boss battles?

Unlike fighting games where all characters are equal, this series provides enemies ranging from fodder soldier to officers, but they always feels so underdeveloped. Why can't the developer focus more on that aspect instead of just providing more useless fanservice playable faces?

Because they built the franchise off that gimmick.

Do you disagree?
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why are fans so stubborn to want every character in?