• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Potential game changing feature added in a recent update

User Info: QueenCia

QueenCia
4 weeks ago#1
Been reading some recent patch notes and saw something about being able to switch characters on the fly, wanted to try it out so booted up the game on my PC. Now if this feature works like I think it does then I may actually be able to get into this game...AT LAST!

Am I right in thinking that I can now switch to any character that's available in the particular chapter I'm playing, and whatever point I'm up to the character I've switched to will also be updated to that point? So If I wanted to complete a chapter with Xiahou Yuan but not actually use him (let's use yellow turban rebellion as an example) I can switch to him just before the fight with Zhang Jiao, complete the stage as the character I want, then click continue on Yuans story and he will be right at the fight with Zhang Jiao? (I hope I've explained that right). If that is the case then as I said this is a game changer as it basically turns the story mode into a massive kingdon mode rather than these half assed "individual" (term used loosely) stories we have been given!
"As you would pass judgement on her, I have come to pass judgement on you all."
- Darth Traya

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
4 weeks ago#2
Not quite(someone please say if I f***ed up in explaining this) No, you cannot just switch to whoever you want whenever you want, you need to beat the chapter, then have the choice to advance the game as someone else.

You beat a chapter with a character, then you can switch to the next as any character FROM THE SAME KINGDOM(so no, you cant jump from Xiahou Yuan to Zhang Jiao or Yuan Shao))to the next chapter. It does not give you the rest of the chapters you skipped, but at the very least it can make getting individual endings faster.
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

User Info: qwertyMrJINX

qwertyMrJINX
4 weeks ago#3
Right now it only works in Story mode, not Free mode. You can only switch to a character who is playable in that chapter, in that faction (So no switching to Zhang Liao during Lu Bu's story), and the character will not be levelled up to match that chapter, so if it's a level 1 character, and you switch during one of the late game chapters, you're probably going to have a difficult time.

But it is a pretty neat feature. Makes unlocking those horses a lot easier.
There ain't nothing to get, you just gotta have that shine

QueenCia
4 weeks ago#4
Hmm maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. I’ll figure it out for myself :) thank you guys tho!
- Darth Traya

User Info: Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao
4 weeks ago#5
QueenCia posted...
Hmm maybe I didn’t explain myself correctly. I’ll figure it out for myself :) thank you guys tho!

It doesn't work the way you explained it, no. Instead, it lets you skip past chapters with characters.

You say you don't want to play as Xiahou Yuan but you want to complete his chapter. You can play as Cao Cao in the Yellow Turban Rebellion, get up to the fight with Zhang Jiao, then switch to Xiahou Yuan and kill Zhang Jiao to complete the chapter for Xiahou Yuan. That works. But Cao Cao won't count as having completed the Yellow Turban Rebellion himself, then. If you go back to Cao Cao's story, you'd need to do that chapter again.

But what you can do is skip to endings. Say you want Xiahou Yuan's ending but don't want to play as him much. Play as another Wei character who goes far enough, and at the conquest of Hanzhong stage against Zhang Lu, the last stage Xiahou Yuan normally gets to play before his ending, switch to him there. Complete that battle with Xiahou Yuan, and you'll get his ending. You won't have any earlier chapters with him unlocked, but you'll get his ending. You can then return to the character you were just playing who you wanted to play, resume from the start of that chapter, and play through as normal. Maybe you stop at Fan Castle and switch to Xiahou Dun for his ending, or maybe you switch to Zhang He or Man Chong and go all the way to the end of the Wei story. It's up to you.

It does mean you no longer have to play all the way through each character to see their endings. As long as you know where their story ends, you can load another character you've played who goes that far, switch off once you're loaded, and then do one or two battles to get the ending you want.
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!

QueenCia
4 weeks ago#6
Xiahou Mao posted...
QueenCia posted...

You say you don't want to play as Xiahou Yuan but you want to complete his chapter. You can play as Cao Cao in the Yellow Turban Rebellion, get up to the fight with Zhang Jiao, then switch to Xiahou Yuan and kill Zhang Jiao to complete the chapter for Xiahou Yuan. That works.

Yeah this is what I was getting at, glad to see it confirmed as true! Gonna make the game way better now!!!
- Darth Traya

User Info: sol_trigger

sol_trigger
4 weeks ago#7
we need a gem preset function fast,everytime changing weapon it's a pain

QueenCia
4 weeks ago#8
sol_trigger posted...

This I 100% agree with! They could atleast let characters wield the same gems, it’s not like it matters if they do.
- Darth Traya

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
4 weeks ago#9
QueenCia posted...
sol_trigger posted...

This I 100% agree with! They could atleast let characters wield the same gems, it’s not like it matters if they do.

For riz.

User Info: Dragonexx

Dragonexx
4 weeks ago#10
Does this really work for unlocking horses? I tried this with red hare doing Dong Zhou, Lu Bu and guan yu to no avail...
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Potential game changing feature added in a recent update
  • Topic Archived