• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Favorite Kingdom/Faction Poll! (Based on the games/RoTK novel)

User Info: SuperDWFan

SuperDWFan
3 months ago#21
SiegvonWal posted...
sol_trigger posted...

Cao Cao slayed 10000+ civilian and surrendered soldiers when he avenged his father death, the dead bodies was so many that the rivers can't flow, the water turns into blood

I said in game, which, to my memory, downplayed the massacres considerably.

I frigging abhorred that part. They’ve totally skimped over all of Cao Cao’s atrocities at Xu (especially in DW8 & 9) and instead made him look like a righteous son trying to avenge his father, while Tao Qiao is the helpless villain.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like.

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 months ago#22
SuperDWFan posted...
SiegvonWal posted...
sol_trigger posted...

Cao Cao slayed 10000+ civilian and surrendered soldiers when he avenged his father death, the dead bodies was so many that the rivers can't flow, the water turns into blood

I frigging abhorred that part. They’ve totally skimped over all of Cao Cao’s atrocities at Xu (especially in DW8 & 9) and instead made him look like a righteous son trying to avenge his father, while Tao Qiao is the helpless villain.

Meanwhile Lui Bei isn't tossing Lui Shan away as a baby in a fury as saving him almost cost Zhao Yun his life. The darker stuff in the novels are never featured because it's not an M rated game, besides the author was extremely biased against Cao Cao seeking to paint him and his Wei officers as villians at every single turn with only really the likes of Xun You and Xun Yu coming out positive (by no coincidence Han loyalists in nature like Lui Bei).

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#23
Skode24 posted...

Meanwhile Lui Bei isn't tossing Lui Shan away as a baby in a fury as saving him almost cost Zhao Yun his life. The darker stuff in the novels are never featured because it's not an M rated game, besides the author was extremely biased against Cao Cao seeking to paint him and his Wei officers as villians at every single turn with only really the likes of Xun You and Xun Yu coming out positive (by no coincidence Han loyalists in nature like Lui Bei).

Well, in DW's defense, they appear to be merging aspects of reality into it (perhaps for variation's sake) and it's very likely that Cao Cao's invasion of Xu was blown out of proportion (after all, every big army that passes through a countryside does bad things even if they're not supposed to, especially if it's a big army of mostly common volunteers/draftees) and I doubt Liu Bei really took the "bros before hos" line so extremely as he does in the books.

While taking out/minimizing the morally evil or ambiguous aspects that occurred in the novel is obviously a divergence from the source material, it may be closer to actual history since Cao Cao was essentially the Devil for most of Chinese history (from what I can tell), which is to say I suspect much of Cao Cao's "atrocities" were/are blown out of proportion--especially compared to his enemies.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao
3 months ago#24
Cao Cao's massacre of Xuzhou wasn't blown out of proportion. It was recorded by contemporary historians, long before the villainization of Cao Cao in favour of Liu Bei began. If anything, the Jin historians who compiled the Sanguozhi had an interest in making Cao Cao appear legitimate, as it was through Wei that Jin could trace its own legitimacy. And yet they recorded the massacre, as well as the similarly high cost of life from Cao Cao burying Yuan Shao's surrendered soldiers alive after Guandu.

The fact of the matter is that, back then, it wasn't seen as particularly atrocious. Cao Cao was seen as being properly filial by exacting vengeance on the people of Xuzhou for their lord's sins. It wasn't used to make him seem evil, it wasn't used to denounce him. It was recorded as a fact of life, something that happened, and then they moved on. Looking through a modern lens, it was clearly a horrific act, but 1800 years ago standards were different.
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#25
Xiahou Mao posted...
Cao Cao's massacre of Xuzhou wasn't blown out of proportion. It was recorded by contemporary historians, long before the villainization of Cao Cao in favour of Liu Bei began. If anything, the Jin historians who compiled the Sanguozhi had an interest in making Cao Cao appear legitimate, as it was through Wei that Jin could trace its own legitimacy. And yet they recorded the massacre, as well as the similarly high cost of life from Cao Cao burying Yuan Shao's surrendered soldiers alive after Guandu.
Now that story is awfully similar to the one where Xiang Yu buried 200,000 surrendered enemies after they (surrendered) to his smaller army...

The fact of the matter is that, back then, it wasn't seen as particularly atrocious. Cao Cao was seen as being properly filial by exacting vengeance on the people of Xuzhou for their lord's sins. It wasn't used to make him seem evil, it wasn't used to denounce him. It was recorded as a fact of life, something that happened, and then they moved on. Looking through a modern lens, it was clearly a horrific act, but 1800 years ago standards were different.

Yeah, it could be the case, but I'm still a little skeptical since I have a hard time imaging a large number of men just letting themselves get buried alive. In modern atrocities, they're usually lied to and misled like sheep off a cliff rather than directly told they're going to die a horrible death. Maybe such was the case in this ancient era as well, I don't know, but I suspect the numbers are generally bloated given how high the birth rates must have been to counteract the apparently high death rates.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: kuroishironeko

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#26
Dong Zhou and Dong Bai are where it's at. I have many problems with the other factions:

Wei: Basically, it's all about Cao Cao. Everyone else is so vastly inferior to him, even all of his doofus sons.

Wu: I hate the Suns and most of the rest, with the exception of Sonshouko and Lu Xun.

Shu: Overrated like hell. But it has Bao and Yinping so it gets a passing grade.

Jin: Zhong Hui. That is kinda all. Well, Yuanji looks really, really good in her new outfit.
Souma Ria will forever be my favourite girl

User Info: WeiJin

WeiJin
3 months ago#27
My favorite kingdom is Wei, undeniably. Most of my favorite characters are on Wei and in practice it's the one of most powerful kingdom during Three Kingdoms thanks to ambition of Cao Cao. I loved ambition of Cao Cao, his brillant and ambitious personnality, his capacity to rally officers quickly, rrelation between Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun... He's moved by a constructive spirit to rule the land and has pioneered foundation kingdom of Wei very soon (and i liked that contrary to Shu and Wu) and stabilized kingdom until his death.

I also loved period of transition and consolidation of Wei after Cao Cao's death with the reign of Cao Pi when Cao Pi was designed as emperor and officially founded Wei dynasty. But Sadly he' died too early, in 226... and that's really in 234 with the end battle of Wu Zhang plains ( also death of emperor Cao Rui in 239) I really felt the latent transition between Wei and Jin. Really i don't know if i liked Jin or not mainly due to manoeuvres of usurpers Sima Shi and Sima Zhao clan to take power against Cao Mao.

Itself i appreciated talented next generation officers of Wei/Jin in pursue of fighting against Shu and Wu : Man Chong, Deng Ai, Zhong Hui, Zhuge Dan, also Wen Yang, Guo Huai, Xiahou Ba, both originally officers of Wei isn't it ? It's incoherent lol. (but not his defection even if i'm a fervent partisan of Wei made by Cao Caco and Cao Pi, he cannot betray Wei/Jin for only reason : death of his father who killed by Shu forces, personnally i would have served later Jin in that case even if i'm partisan of Wei, i'm lucid, Cao Shuang was incompetent as dirigeant of Wei)

And i hate Xiahou Ji also :p Loyalty, all that matters.

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
3 months ago#28
SuperDWFan posted...
SiegvonWal posted...
sol_trigger posted...

what do you mean atrocities. It was a brilliant maneuver to take crucial territory from an incompetent old fool with inept generals and getting the public to support him, particularly with a small force and limited supplies

User Info: chakramstrike

chakramstrike
3 months ago#29
Since being given a faction...for me it would be Jin. I would do Nanman next as Zhurong is my all time favorite character.
"What we are never changes, but who we are never stops changing."
PSN: yunalesca26

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#30
I'm surprised Wu is so popular. Until recently, it was ahead in the polls by a fair margin. Now it's tied by Shu.

I'm curious, why do people like Wu and Shu so much? I mean, they're all kinda 33-33-33 but slightly in favor of Wu and Shu so I wonder what people see in them...

Well, I voted Wu because I love the location, color, and playable officers and Shu was a close second because they're underdogs and I'm growing to love Liu Bei. Wei's an old favorite of mine, but it's not that fun being the expected winner and I've prioritized Wei in the past few DW games so I guess I have a bit of "Wei fatigue" lol.
Ya iz russki bot
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Favorite Kingdom/Faction Poll! (Based on the games/RoTK novel)
  • Topic Archived