• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Favorite Kingdom/Faction Poll! (Based on the games/RoTK novel)

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
3 months ago#11
SiegvonWal posted...
SuperDWFan posted...
Shu, because I’m a man of culture.

Lol that meme!

Yeah, they're a close second because I love Liu Bei (even though I was indifferent as a kid) and Shu's the underdog of the era. Always more fun to fight for the underdog.

Would have been good if they're actually written like hardworkers, but nah, they're just Mary Sues with zero fault, which made their underdog status just irritating to watch. From the beginning Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhuge Liang were treated like Jesus who will save the world, and everytime they made flaws, they were treated as the right way. Heck, i'd say only Liu Shan and Jiang Wei actually fit as "underdogs"
Their writing in 9 has gotten better though.

Anyway, gonna go with Wu. I feel their faction are the most well-done. Feels like everyone actually interact with everyone in the faction.

Best story usually go to Wei, but Wu is just more lovely as a group.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#12
RPGNoZero posted...
Would have been good if they're actually written like hardworkers, but nah, they're just Mary Sues with zero fault, which made their underdog status just irritating to watch.
I don't know about that, Zhang Fei DID get drunk and lose Xia Pi. Liu Bei was overly trusting and invited a wolf into his household, but I don't recall Guan Yu having any notable faults until the end though (not sure if a Gary Stu though since he does rather little of note until the end where he basically fails his first assignment as governor of Jing). I haven't played for over a month so I can't recall early Shu story, just that I remember face-palming when Liu Bei had to conquer Jing from Cao Cao while Liu Biao was historically in charge of it. Koei definitely could have handled that better, like maybe making Xin Ye the city to conquer although that'd still break the fiction (as it was part of Liu Biao's territory, but Koei could bend the lines a bit and give the impression Cao Cao held it briefly or something and Liu Bei was assigned to it as a reward for reclaiming it for Liu Biao).

The real Liu Bei is a lot more interesting though, and it's a shame they don't implement some of his historically correct actions such as making friends with the local gentries of Xu and Jing (potentially seeking to usurp the local rulers) or actually winning battles against Cao Cao (Xiahou Dun specifically, at Xin Ye).

I post-poned after Liu Bei's death, but I assume that's when it gets good because the larger than life characters have pretty much gone with the wind. It was actually very sad seeing Zhang Fei go, as I actually got to like him in this game.

From the beginning Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhuge Liang were treated like Jesus who will save the world, and everytime they made flaws, they were treated as the right way. Heck, i'd say only Liu Shan and Jiang Wei actually fit as "underdogs"
Their writing in 9 has gotten better though.
Zhuge Liang is definitely overrated in the beginning, I don't know about the Northern or Southern Campaigns yet as I haven't got there. But, in traditional fashion, he's given far more credit for the Liu-Sun alliance and victory at Chi Bi than he historically deserves. I do like him from the conquest of South Jing onwards though, even if he's most likely being bloated out of proportion.
Best story usually go to Wei, but Wu is just more lovely as a group.
I'd argue Shu's story is the most interesting in history but Wei is the most interesting in fiction, as the Shu founders are blown up too much while Wei's founders aren't so exaggerated. I don't know why I like Wu so much, but it probably has to do with them being the most "normal" and also having some of my favorite characters from the old games as well as introducing new characters I actually like (Han Dang, Cheng Pu, and Xu Sheng) compared to Wei and Shu's news who don't really stick out in my memory much (and I haven't really liked most of the news in Wei and Shu since DW7, whereas I've generally liked Wu's new characters).
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Izzyama

Izzyama
3 months ago#13
Wei. Even though Cao Cao was portrayed as the most horrible human being from all possible angles, his kingdom always felt like the most powerful and most stable.

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#14
Izzyama posted...
Wei. Even though Cao Cao was portrayed as the most horrible human being from all possible angles, his kingdom always felt like the most powerful and most stable.

Whaaaattt? How's Cao Cao portrayed as the most "horrible human being"? Especially in Dynasty Warriors 9 where his fictional war crimes and fictional moral crimes (meaning the ones that occurred in the book) aren't even portrayed?!

From what I recall, he's basically a smarter version of Liu Bei who's more of a pragmatist while Liu Bei's more of a stubborn idealist (which is what I like about Liu Bei). I love Cao Cao, but in recent DW his portrayal has been FAR from villainous. I think you might have meant to say "Dong Zhuo" lol.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Izzyama

Izzyama
3 months ago#15
SiegvonWal posted...
Izzyama posted...

Whaaaattt? How's Cao Cao portrayed as the most "horrible human being"? Especially in Dynasty Warriors 9 where his fictional war crimes and fictional moral crimes (meaning the ones that occurred in the book) aren't even portrayed?!

From what I recall, he's basically a smarter version of Liu Bei who's more of a pragmatist while Liu Bei's more of a stubborn idealist (which is what I like about Liu Bei). I love Cao Cao, but in recent DW his portrayal has been FAR from villainous. I think you might have meant to say "Dong Zhuo" lol.

Oh my bad. I only meant the novel. In the game's he's increasingly becoming the voice of reason for the age.

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#16
Izzyama posted...

Oh my bad. I only meant the novel. In the game's he's increasingly becoming the voice of reason for the age.

Ah, that makes sense lol. I found an interesting audiobook of RotK and have been listening to it lately, it's called the "Three Kingdoms Podcast" and well... let's just say it's a pretty creative translation that makes it, at least theoretically, as engaging and fun to an English-speaking audience as it would be to a Chinese one. Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXT67XDPreE&list=PLyCSiQ2bdudslTQsgVgYyPV40ejr5tNmk&index=1

Basically an introduction, and while the speaker is rather humble about his abilities he's actually quite good and adds a lot of character as a storyteller compared to the more stiff and traditional audiobook recorders.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: AbsoluteDenial

AbsoluteDenial
3 months ago#17
I've only ever played DW8XLCE, and in that, I liked Jin the most. I got tired of talk of ambition, chaos, benevolence, honor, tigers, fire, nobility, paradise, and Diaochan. Those other kingdoms/factions were nothing more than imbeciles driven by their own misguided obsessions.
"Clarity of thought before rashness of action."
- Shockwave

User Info: sol_trigger

sol_trigger
3 months ago#18
SiegvonWal posted...
Izzyama posted...

Cao Cao slayed 10000+ civilian and surrendered soldiers when he avenged his father death, the dead bodies was so many that the rivers can't flow, the water turns into blood

User Info: Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao
3 months ago#19
Add a 0 to that...
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#20
sol_trigger posted...

Cao Cao slayed 10000+ civilian and surrendered soldiers when he avenged his father death, the dead bodies was so many that the rivers can't flow, the water turns into blood

I said in game, which, to my memory, downplayed the massacres considerably.
Ya iz russki bot
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Favorite Kingdom/Faction Poll! (Based on the games/RoTK novel)
  • Topic Archived