• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Do y'all like the new combat system?

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
1 month ago#1
Started playing again, and gotta say the combat is very fun, especially coming from WO4. It does feel like auto combos but the animations look so smooth, it reminds me of DW6.

People say the moves are less flashy but I think it's trying to go or the classic DW3-5 style where moves were more grounded and less emphasis on explosions and magic.

I think after they patched it and slightly tweaked a few features it's great.

User Info: CircusMonster

CircusMonster
1 month ago#2
I have always liked the combat.
PSN: Applefudge1
Switch Friend Code:SW-3508-4376-1116

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#3
Far more fluid, combo centric, faster and yes fun - i really enjoy new combat system with most of the weapons. Less flashy? Sure... on some weapons I guess but magic waves coming out of nowhere can sod off for all I care.

Best part is it can easily be expanded upon, I'm sure there's more buttons they can map new strings to if they choose to (once everyone is decloned first of course, priorities). Definately their best work yet combat wise as charge system got outdated real fast (yet they used it on six games regardless) and Renbu was an abomination.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#4
I like it but it's basically the old system in reverse, so I'm not praising it much either.

I DO like being able to choose a combo when I want it, but I could do the same thing before and with the added risk of getting interrupted. However, in recent DW games, the strings were far from equal nor were they proportionally powered relative to how high the square chain they were. Like C6 could be OP for one character or very lame for another, while that "another" could have had an OP C3 that made further triangle strings rather pointless.

At least with older DWs and SWs the chains were more balanced and purposed, I think DW9 has returned to that in many ways since each chain has an explicit purpose alongside useful side effects. Like the Stun Chain can be good for crowd-clearing for some characters or just a priming move for others, while the Launch Chain is typically best for dealing with officers and the Knockdown Chain varies greatly from character to character (in terms of how useful the act itself and following actions are).

Overall I like it better than the battle system of DW6-8 but not as much as SW1-4's or DW2-5's.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Raiden243

Raiden243
1 month ago#5
Yes it feels like there is room for improvement for the combat, some more polish and it can do the trick. Perhaps triangle strings? Less attacks but very heavy damage.

Or some how air dashing can be changed to shadow sprint. So when pressing X we can charge into enemies extend combo but lose out on dodging.

Renbu can f*** off but DW6 had smooth animations. Funny how the games with the most combo heavy and fluid animations are the games that get s*** pn the most

User Info: Nhatalya

Nhatalya
1 month ago#6
I like it way more than the old combat system. Moveset are very fluid and fun. We can jump cancel everything with the right accessory. I want them to expand more on it during the next game.
Bonjour mon ami(e).

User Info: Metroid82

Metroid82
1 month ago#7
Definitely prefer DW9 combat system to the old DW's.
In 1776 the King tried to stop Christmas b/c he had been put on the naughty list. Washington, Jefferson, Franklin went on an adventure to save Santa. -Nautdead

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
1 month ago#8
I like it. It's more grounded and balanced so i never feel too OP compared to the enemies, and you can create attack strings more freely. Whereas DW7-8 mostly ended with just pulling the most broken attacks repetitively, lots of movesets were annoyingly gimmicky, and the enemies were just so underpowered compared to the players. (Pirate Warriors was pretty much the best implementation of HD era Flashy Charge System. DW8 and SW4 went to meh direction)

Hopefully they expand it more in the future.

I feel so far the biggest flaw are that most characters still feels kinda similar, since the the Trigger Attacks mostly are the same in function, and the Reactive Attacks are just so..... automatic?

Since most Trigger Attacks were based on C2, C4, and C5, maybe they could add C1, C3, and C6 in the future and then let us choose which 3 attacks to use. That way we can create playstyles more freely. And i would prefer the Triangle button become its own combo string or something.

Now i feel the biggest thing outside the combat is that they need to add is better allies and morale system. I like that the battle went to have more freedom again like in PS2 games, but the allies are still useless and dumb and just can't catch up with the players.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: ChingTheMonkey

ChingTheMonkey
1 month ago#9
SiegvonWal posted...
I like it but it's basically the old system in reverse, so I'm not praising it much either.

I DO like being able to choose a combo when I want it, but I could do the same thing before and with the added risk of getting interrupted. However, in recent DW games, the strings were far from equal nor were they proportionally powered relative to how high the square chain they were. Like C6 could be OP for one character or very lame for another, while that "another" could have had an OP C3 that made further triangle strings rather pointless.

At least with older DWs and SWs the chains were more balanced and purposed, I think DW9 has returned to that in many ways since each chain has an explicit purpose alongside useful side effects. Like the Stun Chain can be good for crowd-clearing for some characters or just a priming move for others, while the Launch Chain is typically best for dealing with officers and the Knockdown Chain varies greatly from character to character (in terms of how useful the act itself and following actions are).

Overall I like it better than the battle system of DW6-8 but not as much as SW1-4's or DW2-5's.

This pretty much
"Any way the wind blows, that's the way I go!" - Bartz Klauser

User Info: s_dubs

s_dubs
1 month ago#10
Sure do.
psn: http://psnprofiles.com/smward87
FFXIV: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1820490/
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Do y'all like the new combat system?
  • Topic Archived