• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#31
kuroishironeko posted...
Ma Chong? In game. He is kind of an early version of Li Dian, he just has a bad feeling as he says. But it still baffles me that no one in Cao Cao's army figured it out.
To be fair, the wind was predicted to aim southeast and only locals would have known otherwise. Although Cao Cao was still cautious, at least IRL, since while he outnumbered the Wu March (this was back when Sun Quan was a Marquis so it's "March", not "Kingdom" lol) 2:1 half his guys were recent enemies and the other half were inexperienced northerners who didn't even know how to swim.

Sadly 9 portrays most of the battle on land rather than at sea, and the sea battle is super easy compared to previous games. If Koei keeps the Open World for 10, they're going to have to figure out how to do sea battles with it (my suggestion? A big maze of interconnected ships like the old games) since as-is is all too easy and meme-worthy

Kinda difficult, dont'cha think? It's always one of the two things: Lu Bu storms of, ignoring everything else. Or Chen Gong makes a mistake somehow, like he tends to do.
Yeah, but that's what's gonna make it fun lol. Where's the fun in having a strategist who's right all the time and a group that's always cohesive? It'll be fun watching Lu Bu and Chen Gong talk past each other and somehow make it work lol. Although I'm personally holding off on buying DLC from this season until it's over since we still don't know how far these hypotheticals will actually go.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dynastywarriors/images/6/68/Xu_Shu_15th_Anniversary_Artwork_%28DWEKD%29.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160810205537

Tell me, doesn't it fit?
Yeah... it does. He does look cool in the old art as well as the digital cover of DW7 Empires (the best in the sub-series yet never released to America in physical form :-( ).

And yeah, he is a bit too wimpy in most of the games, but in hypothetical and in What If scenarios he's much better. Especially when Guo Jia is still alive and can prevent the fire attack in Chibi.
I never played Shu's hypothetical (yet--maybe one day I'll come back to DW8CE but for now I'm off with other games and the Koei games I am most interested in currently are Taishi, DW9, Romance 13, and maybe Warriors All-Stars since I never finished that game and want to).

Like I said, Xu Shu will have to earn his place as this game's Ezio. And maybe the DLC will be where he does it...
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#32
There wasn't much of a naval battle at ChiBi though. It was a load of bluster and posturing from Wei whilst prepping then boom a fire attach decimates the ships of Wei. Alot of people were unimpressed with it in DW9 but it was novel accurate.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#33
Skode24 posted...
There wasn't much of a naval battle at ChiBi though. It was a load of bluster and posturing from Wei whilst prepping then boom a fire attach decimates the ships of Wei. Alot of people were unimpressed with it in DW9 but it was novel accurate.

I'm talking about where you either swim to the enemy boats or take a self-propelled boat to your allies and then hop on over to the enemies.

The enemies don't attack from range as most of them are melee and they can't get to your boats since jumping is unknown to NPCs. Allies can't be useful for the same reason. Enemies can be easily swept off the boats and since they automatically reappear on the boats you can pretty much sweep them to unconsciousness. Theoretically the enemy could do the same to me but the worst I can conceive of is simply falling into the safety net known as the Yangtze before hopping back on.

Naval battles are terrible in 9, only a liar would disagree. I think they ought to have had invisible walls and connected ships in order to ensure a level/fair playing ground for the soldiers.

I don't mind all the prep work--in fact, I enjoyed it quite a bit since it was novel-correct and added tension to it. However the actual water battles are a joke. The real fights are on land, and for Wei on WU land--which is a bit strange since they'd have to theoretically win the Yangtze before being able to send thousands of troops onto the other side of it.

But like I said; Chi Bi's a land battle for the most part, as the water battles are more like set dressing for all the actual fighting that goes on.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
1 month ago#34
Chen Gong's greatest strength is that he can adapt VERY well, no other strategist is as good as him when it comes to that.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
1 month ago#35
redroses_4life posted...
Chen Gong's greatest strength is that he can adapt VERY well, no other strategist is as good as him when it comes to that.

Refusing to serve Cao Cao and getting executed sure showed that lol

User Info: Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao
1 month ago#36
Skode24 posted...

I'd hesitate to call it 'novel accurate', when from the Wei side your mission that you must fulfill is to actually charge all the way over onto the Wu shore to attack and capture their base there. The game paints that as misdirection and then has Sun Quan (who isn't in the Wu base) take out Cao Cao's fleet behind you, but if Wei forces were able to land in large enough numbers to capture Wu's base on the opposite shore, it would've been too late for any sort of plan.

Not that the previous games making it a huge brawl on ships was any more accurate, mind you. But a big problem overall in the DW9 battles is making them span more area than they should. Wei gets to hop across the river to beat Wu forces up several times. During Guan Yu's Escape, Cao Cao has forces defending in much of Jingzhou, which should be Liu Biao's land. They seem to really love making you fight through large swaths of land, but then in one scenario where doing so would have made story sense, the defeat of the Yuans and unification of Hebei, they completely leave that seven year campaign out and just write the Yuan family out at Guandu...
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
1 month ago#37
Yeah, the White Wolf Mountains battle would have been a great fit for the open world setting, but for some reason it's not here.

Then again, DW8 was the only game that adopted that battle in the series.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: Xiahou Mao

Xiahou Mao
1 month ago#38
Meanwhile, the Legend of Cao Cao mobile game (itself an adaptation of a twenty year old PC release) features two stages for Baima and Yanjin, a big Guandu stage, and then five post-Guandu stages focusing finishing off the Yuan family (including the battle where Yuan Shao actually died). With a small fight with Liu Bei at Runan tucked in the middle. There's almost twice as much anti-Yuan gameplay post-Guandu as there is at and before Guandu.

I don't know why they didn't find a way to work that in. What's the point of all that land in the northeast if not for an anti-Yuan campaign? I guess I could ask the same for Jiaozhi, as I'm not sure any story modes go down there either...
Xiahou Mao, True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
1 month ago#39
Skode24 posted...
redroses_4life posted...

Refusing to serve Cao Cao and getting executed sure showed that lol

He gave up at that point.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

User Info: kuroishironeko

kuroishironeko
1 month ago#40
redroses_4life posted...
He gave up at that point.

Because he screwed it all up and didn't see the water attack coming.
Souma Ria will forever be my favourite girl
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown
  • Topic Archived