• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#21
Xiahou Mao posted...
Liu Bei should survive that battle in his own story, since he did in the novel as well. He didn't die until two years later. Just like Yuan Shao!

Yes, same idea applies! I think you'll be happy to see his conclusion then, as I'd say his ending was probably my favorite alongside Yuan Shao's and Lianshi's. And the way to getting there... Well, Koei really did a good job handling Liu Bei's last chapters. I won't say more since I'll spoil it lol!
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Khewy

Khewy
3 months ago#22
As for the story they should keep it like DW9 but make it more like WO have the recommended characters that will tell the full story EX battle of Chibi Cao Cao would be the recommended character where you get the story where as if you play as Cai Wenji you wont get the full story.

As for the lifeless talking scenes they need other people in the background doing something talking, running, selling something idk just doing somthing. As for the unique characters they need to actually show emotion like move their hands, faint, cry, etc.

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#23
Khewy posted...
As for the story they should keep it like DW9 but make it more like WO have the recommended characters that will tell the full story EX battle of Chibi Cao Cao would be the recommended character where you get the story where as if you play as Cai Wenji you wont get the full story.

As for the lifeless talking scenes they need other people in the background doing something talking, running, selling something idk just doing somthing. As for the unique characters they need to actually show emotion like move their hands, faint, cry, etc.

It'd be funny if all that actually happened in a kind of random way, like NPCs crying, cheering, declaring love, or doing whatever in the background similar to the Fable games while serious stuff is being discussed by the important characters.

I responded to the above in a new thread so I don't want to repeat that here or otherwise confuse the order of posts for spectators.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: kuroishironeko

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#24
Recently started playing as Wang Yi and she feels a bit more special compared to anyone else not named Cao Cao, Liu Bei or anyone of then Sun's.

Well, at least they did somewhat try a bit more in the DLC.

Dong Bai: I love her! She has some seriously wicked Musou's and I'm a total sucker for that sadism. Her story is mostly a big daydream, though and I'm also not a huge fan of her huge fixation on Zhang Liao.

Xiahou Ji: For someone not name Liu Bei and/or Zhuge Liang, her story certainly feels unique while also not straying too far from the main Shu plot. That and her surfboard attack is the best thing ever.

Yuan Shu: This guy is amazing! He's a total beast in battle, has amazing Musou's and is overall an amazing character. He is so over the top that it's almost hilarious. Kinda wish it would go a bit longer.

Hua Xiong: He's the weakest of the bunch by far. His weapon is boring and generic. At least his story is semi interesting. Well, in my mind he will also be an inferior Lu Bu that gets pummeled by the Coalition.

Hope there come some more DLC stories. Lu Lingqi deserves more then an exile ending >_>
Souma Ria will forever be my favourite girl

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#25
kuroishironeko posted...
Recently started playing as Wang Yi and she feels a bit more special compared to anyone else not named Cao Cao, Liu Bei or anyone of then Sun's.
Can't wait to get to Wang Yi lol... I was looking forward to her for the whole time I was playing! She's also quite hot this time. Love her new costume... (6).(9) ... and that she uses chakrams instead of weapons that easily miss in their musous.
Well, at least they did somewhat try a bit more in the DLC.

Dong Bai: I love her! She has some seriously wicked Musou's and I'm a total sucker for that sadism. Her story is mostly a big daydream, though and I'm also not a huge fan of her huge fixation on Zhang Liao.

Xiahou Ji: For someone not name Liu Bei and/or Zhuge Liang, her story certainly feels unique while also not straying too far from the main Shu plot. That and her surfboard attack is the best thing ever.

Lol and Xiahou Ji's special attack can be spammed too! I forget how, exactly, but I remember doing a lot of surfing and at one point getting it in a loop; before I took a break I was playing Xingcai who's rather similar, but I wonder if she'll have her mother's unspoken love of surfing... lol

Yuan Shu: This guy is amazing! He's a total beast in battle, has amazing Musou's and is overall an amazing character. He is so over the top that it's almost hilarious. Kinda wish it would go a bit longer.
Oh I'll be getting to him soon! I had a lot of fun with Yuan Shao who's basically a slightly stronger version of Cao Cao (in my memory) in exchange for having less range.
Hua Xiong: He's the weakest of the bunch by far. His weapon is boring and generic. At least his story is semi interesting. Well, in my mind he will also be an inferior Lu Bu that gets pummeled by the Coalition.

Hope there come some more DLC stories. Lu Lingqi deserves more then an exile ending >_>

We'll see, I wasn't expecting the strategists to be the focus of the DLCs. I'm hopeful they'll add up to real hypothetical stories for their factions, but maybe they won't. We'll see.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 months ago#26
Still irked at all 4 being strategists too but makes sense popularity wise as they've short stories so people are pining for more with them with Guo Jia and Chen Gong outright winning most wanted polls, Xu Shu polled highly too (it's why all 3 got added) and Zhou Yu has always been popular with the fanbase even if I'd much rather see more Lu Su (who is far from popular in popularity polls).

One thing I keep second guessing about is the scenarios. I've said elsewhere it's very likely we'll get...

Zhou Yu (what if he killed Lui Bei? it was a determination of his to topple him and Kongming before they got a land of their own prior to his death).
Xu Shu (what if he never left Shu? it's even featured in his ending).
Guo Jia (what if he was at ChiBi? Cao Cao specifically said he'd not have lost if only Guo Jia were still alive).
Chen Gong (What if Lu Bu listened at Xiapi? He airs his frustrations about this in game as he gets caught).

Plausible right? But the themed to the DLC costumes are a big... How do you create themed costumes to the above? Unless say Xu Shu becomes prime minister of Shu and gets a suited costume to represent that etc?

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#27
Skode24 posted...
Still irked at all 4 being strategists too but makes sense popularity wise as they've short stories so people are pining for more with them with Guo Jia and Chen Gong outright winning most wanted polls, Xu Shu polled highly too (it's why all 3 got added) and Zhou Yu has always been popular with the fanbase even if I'd much rather see more Lu Su (who is far from popular in popularity polls).

There are, eh? As a kid playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms, none of them have been particular favorites of mine but Chen Gong was interesting because of his short story with Cao Cao in Romance 10.

One thing I keep second guessing about is the scenarios. I've said elsewhere it's very likely we'll get...

Zhou Yu (what if he killed Lui Bei? it was a determination of his to topple him and Kongming before they got a land of their own prior to his death).
Guo Jia (what if he was at ChiBi? Cao Cao specifically said he'd not have lost if only Guo Jia were still alive).
Chen Gong (What if Lu Bu listened at Xiapi? He airs his frustrations about this in game as he gets caught).

Plausible right? But the themed to the DLC costumes are a big... How do you create themed costumes to the above? Unless say Xu Shu becomes prime minister of Shu and gets a suited costume to represent that etc?

Yes, at least those'd be the "beginning" of each of them. Here's my guesses as to what their stories will look like based on what you said, them being important enough to get special costumes, and my suspicion that these'll be hypotheticals for the kingdoms at large as well;

Zhou Yu: Like you, I'd rather see more Lu Su since I like him more (especially after having that bro be my Prime Minister in one of my older Romance 13 playthroughs!), but I doubt it'll start with him killing Liu Bei. More likely it'll be "what if he didn't die young" and involve an early Yiling, and afterwards Shu will probably be a junior partner with Wu.

His costume? I have no idea. Maybe a fancy "Supreme Allied Commander" costume since he'd theoretically be the Commander-in-Chief as Sun Quan would be depending on him a lot and he'd effectively have full command of Wu and Shu's armies. Alternatively, Shu loyalists could seek political asylum in Wei and work with Cao Cao to restore Shu and defeat the growing Wu menace... which would be--potentially--a very fun final chapter for Zhou Yu.

Xu Shu's the trickiest. Perhaps he'd take the torch for Zhuge Liang at the Wu Zhang Plains and successfully lead Shu in the conquest of Wei's western territories before a new war with Wu (that naturally results in conquest) and a final war against Wei + Wu loyalists. I base this on Romance 13's PuK's added hypothetical event where Xu Shu, old and regretful, decides to "stand up" and rejoin Shu just for the Wu Zhang Plains--so perhaps an old Xu Shu (that may be the theme of his costume--an older, wiser, more manly version of his currently emo self) will carry the young Liu Shan to total victory.

Guo Jia's the easiest; Wei will probably beat Wu at Chi Bi and then Wu will mount a harder defense which will be broken, while Shu "secretly" forms in Bashu and becomes the stage for the last two chapters that basically involve Wei conquering Shu and uniting China.

Lastly, Chen Gong, I suspect he'll get Lu Bu to pack his bags and forge a new kingdom in either Jing or Shu (and maybe call it Chu or Qin) and basically follow Shu's historical timeline before eventually conquering both of them. His costume might reflect his increased prestige and importance but really I could say that about all of them.

Xu Shu's new costume might just be a blue recoloring of his current one, and Chen Gong might just get a blue costume as a Wei strategist (or sleeper agent??). Who knows
Ya iz russki bot

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#28
Skode24 posted...

Please just call him Zhuge Liang, lol. And I'm highly against that. It would probably do more harm than good.

Skode24 posted...

I love Xu Shu, he's my favourite male around. But let's be serious, he has no point being there as soon as Zhuge Liang and Yue Ying join.

Skode24 posted...

Another good strategist would've probably opened Cao Cao's eyes a bit more. There was like no one that saw the fire attack coming, except maybe Ma Chong.

Skode24 posted...

Chen Gong is not really the best strategist around, seeing how many mistakes he made.

SiegvonWal posted...
Xu Shu's new costume might just be a blue recoloring of his current one, and Chen Gong might just get a blue costume as a Wei strategist (or sleeper agent??). Who knows

Ezio's outfit for Xu Shu would be boss. It would fit him to a T.

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#29
kuroishironeko posted...
Please just call him Zhuge Liang, lol. And I'm highly against that. It would probably do more harm than good.
Yeah, probably, maybe, but theoretically if Zhou Yu was smarter and more daring he might have gotten away with a swift blitzkrieg of Shu followed by a shoring up of defenses on the Yangtze for the inevitable "wtf?!?!?" and intervention of Wei (and it'd be awesome if Liu Bei or Liu Shan joined Cao Cao to fight Sun Quan).

Another good strategist would've probably opened Cao Cao's eyes a bit more. There was like no one that saw the fire attack coming, except maybe Ma Chong.
IRL or in-game? I forget about who in-game suggested to be careful about a fire attack but I do recall plenty of missions to prevent the disaster of Chi Bi (which is a shame because they amount to nothing as far as the plot is concerned)...

Chen Gong is not really the best strategist around, seeing how many mistakes he made.
Yeah but Chen Gong can PROVE HIMSELF in the DLC :-P
And it'll be like the tiger Lu Bu grew wings and flied... To try to use that analogy used in the 2010 version of Three Kingdoms.

Ezio's outfit for Xu Shu would be boss. It would fit him to a T.
Only if he earns it lol. I never played Xu Shu but he seemed a bit wimpy (personality-wise, NOT weapon-wise) in memory so I think him wearing Ezio's outfit would dishonor the integrity of the legendary Renaissance assassin...

...But considering the point of the DLC is for him to prove himself (potentially as a worthy successor to Zhuge Liang) then he might just earn those assassin's robes...
Ya iz russki bot

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#30
SiegvonWal posted...
IRL or in-game? I forget about who in-game suggested to be careful about a fire attack but I do recall plenty of missions to prevent the disaster of Chi Bi (which is a shame because they amount to nothing as far as the plot is concerned)...

Ma Chong? In game. He is kind of an early version of Li Dian, he just has a bad feeling as he says. But it still baffles me that no one in Cao Cao's army figured it out.

SiegvonWal posted...
Yeah but Chen Gong can PROVE HIMSELF in the DLC :-P

Kinda difficult, dont'cha think? It's always one of the two things: Lu Bu storms of, ignoring everything else. Or Chen Gong makes a mistake somehow, like he tends to do.

SiegvonWal posted...
Only if he earns it lol. I never played Xu Shu but he seemed a bit wimpy (personality-wise, NOT weapon-wise) in memory so I think him wearing Ezio's outfit would dishonor the integrity of the legendary Renaissance assassin...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dynastywarriors/images/6/68/Xu_Shu_15th_Anniversary_Artwork_%28DWEKD%29.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160810205537

Tell me, doesn't it fit?

And yeah, he is a bit too wimpy in most of the games, but in hypothetical and in What If scenarios he's much better. Especially when Guo Jia is still alive and can prevent the fire attack in Chibi.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown
  • Topic Archived