• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown

User Info: kuroishironeko

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#1
What's even the point in using all the different characters when all you get is a crappy character epilogue? I had hoped it would actually change something, but it doesn't. Zuo Ci and Zhong Hui are the most glaring examples.
Souma Ria will forever be my favourite girl

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 months ago#2
Yeah Wei get group specific dialogue depending on who you use as in some dialogue scenes are strictly for those there - there's multiple versions of the pre-Wan castle event for example (Man Chongs group is indoors, Yu Jins group outdoors), you have to be in Cao Pis group to see him annoying Sun Quan at a negotiation table and so on.

There's a few of these which at least offer some uniqueness but not everyone gets one - Xu Zhu gets personally praised post Tong Gate in a scene with Cao Cao and Xu Huang to mix it up but Cai Wenji gets no unique dialogue scenes outside intro/ending.

Shu offer similar group discussions to the Wei ones based on who your using like post Hanzong but Wu does not as far as I know (instead it's spoken monologues they get on every chapter which is nice none the less). Jin though I can't remember (maybe they don't as you mentioned Zhong Hui) and yeah Zuo Ci will never be much but a bonus character though he does have unique to his story dialogue with the likes of Lui Bei and Guan Yu.

User Info: kuroishironeko

kuroishironeko
3 months ago#3
It's especially pathetic since Xianying spend 95% of my playthrough just standing there, doing nothing or saying anything of importance.

What a waste. Maybe I'll just Youtube the specific endings and that's that.
Souma Ria will forever be my favourite girl

User Info: Nhatalya

Nhatalya
3 months ago#4
Xin Xianying was quite pointless in this game. She basically had the role of her father Xin Pi most of the time. I hope they do her justice in the next game, she has potential.
Bonjour mon ami(e).

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
3 months ago#5
Yuan Shao's story is the only decent one in the game and ends with a what-if ending.

His story feels like a story made for him, rather than a story made for an avatar.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
3 months ago#6
Now, after this game will people still ask for individual stories? Never understood why the fanbase kept asking for it during DW7-8 days when it's clearly just downright impossible to make 80+ unique writings. Especially in a setting where most characters share the same battles.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#7
RPGNoZero posted...
Now, after this game will people still ask for individual stories? Never understood why the fanbase kept asking for it during DW7-8 days when it's clearly just downright impossible to make 80+ unique writings. Especially in a setting where most characters share the same battles.

But they just gave everyone individual stories with their own intros and endings.

I don't really care about how unique most of the stories are because in most of the PS2 Koei games most characters shared the same battles depending on their kingdom, with the most variation being where your character started off and thus was responsible for. Like Zhang Liao in DW3 started in the center at Hei Fei and so had the very difficult job of blocking the way. Meanwhile Xiahou Dun had it much easier as he started in a corner and could leisurely help Zhang Liao after securing his corner.

Overall I much prefer how stories are told/played in DW9 over 7-8 because now I can play as whomever I want and, for the most part, play for a dozen (or several, depending on difficulty and whether I stray or whatever) hours rather than just a half hour in some obscure gaiden stage. Of course, sadly, guys like Xu Shu and Diaochan don't get much spotlight but Free Mode's an option and I plan on using it to "create a story" using my favored characters who don't get much of a story (like Diaochan. I'm not a fan of Xu Shu but he's an easy example of someone with a really short story. At least until the impending scenario DLC which could make his a long-ass hypothetical Shu story or a disappointingly short hypothetical Shu story depending on Koei).

kuroishironeko posted...
What's even the point in using all the different characters when all you get is a crappy character epilogue? I had hoped it would actually change something, but it doesn't. Zuo Ci and Zhong Hui are the most glaring examples.

The point is very simple: because you're curious about the character and get the opportunity to play as them for a significant amount of time. While they certainly could (at least in the future) expand their stories so to show them all doing more important stuff rather than simply following the group and only have an occasional moment of independence/glory, I much prefer this over what we had in DW7-8 as it's kinda like how it was in DW2-5 but open world instead of stage-based.

Like Lianshi's a favorite of mine but I figured she wouldn't have any unique battles or anything because she's Sun Quan's wife, not the badass who tricked Wei's fleet into turning back around or the badass who led Wu to victory against an angry Shu. And that's totally fine since I just wanted to play as her along the Wu chapters, and do whatever I felt like during the while. And I got what I wanted.

I'd rather everybody have an individual story, even if that means they're all pretty similar per kingdom, than only have a few unique stories. And I'm pretty sure it's an either/or sort of thing, at least until Super Koei 2030 comes out with the PS6 or something and makes all the fans wishes come true while they're all middle-aged parents lol.
Ya iz russki bot

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#8
redroses_4life posted...
Yuan Shao's story is the only decent one in the game and ends with a what-if ending.

His story feels like a story made for him, rather than a story made for an avatar.

Oh yeah. Yuan Shao's was my favorite playthrough of them all.

Hell, himgetting a swarm of arrows shot at him and just casually standing there like a golden badass while Zhao Yun charges at him was just the most awesome moment in the game. And then later when he's commenting on all the Wei playables was hilarious! And then eventually having to fight them all at Guan Du was an awesome climatic showdown! I was half-expecting them to cut Guan Du, which would have been disappointing as Hell, since it appears to be a trend to cut officers out of the battles they die in, but I really enjoyed Yuan Shao's Guan Du
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
3 months ago#9
Kingdom mode offers by far the better stories. It needs to stay butt they can add what ifs for specific characters - current format is messy. Great story but having to you various characters to see it all?

There's endings which are literally plot critical like Sun Jian which should not be locked away from the main plot. As such I think this "individual" stories stuff has to stop, another negative is its putting characters into battles they're not meant to be so there no unique dialogue etc for them there.

DW9 is best by a mile representative of RotK (which is mostly full of dialogue outside of combat too for the naysayers) and should retain the format (though ideally have more animated models during it) esp after having played the atrocious static visual novel style of narrative WO4 was using.

They should only make you feature in the battles they participated in - stories in this are far too long for no reason. I think the concern is perhaps struggling to keep up with the story this way but they just need to offer a "recommended" character for newer players to use on a first playthrough to see all the content and narrative meanwhile there's plenty of chances to have characters talk of what's happening elsewhere (DW9 does that a lot anyway).

SiegvonWal
3 months ago#10
Skode24 posted...
Kingdom mode offers by far the better stories. It needs to stay butt they can add what ifs for specific characters - current format is messy. Great story but having to you various characters to see it all?
You really only have to play as four, maybe five, characters to see the full story. If you stick with the dynastic founders and their heirs, you've pretty much gotten the full story.

And I agree; kingdom-based is better for overall storytelling. But who plays Dynasty Warriors for the story anymore? I had my fun in DW7 when they expanded the Three Kingdoms plot and even added Jin. But once I heard the story, I just wanted to play with the characters who, at best, got one minor battle and at worst weren't playable outside Free Mode or Ambition Mode.

There's endings which are literally plot critical like Sun Jian which should not be locked away from the main plot. As such I think this "individual" stories stuff has to stop, another negative is its putting characters into battles they're not meant to be so there no unique dialogue etc for them there.
Why is this a problem? My issue in 7-8 was that there was too little content or game to play if you were interested in anyone besides the dynastic founders or their chief strategists.

You can easily skip chapters if you're impatient by dropping the difficulty, and if you want a Decent Challenge you can restore the difficulty afterwards. I only skipped Guan Yu's story (because all I wanted was Red Hare) but it only took an hour to finish his story when I decided to just skip him versus the couple dozen I spent on Liu Bei or 30-something on Cao Cao (both of whom I played on the hardest difficulties and took my time accordingly) and I think this anecdote demonstrates how there's as much game to play as you want there to be.

DW9 is best by a mile representative of RotK (which is mostly full of dialogue outside of combat too for the naysayers) and should retain the format (though ideally have more animated models during it) esp after having played the atrocious static visual novel style of narrative WO4 was using.
How do you mean "should retain the format"? I'd argue 9 is the best marriage of kingdom and individual stories. Would you prefer more like how they did it in DW7-8 or something kinda like they're doing now?

They should only make you feature in the battles they participated in - stories in this are far too long for no reason. I think the concern is perhaps struggling to keep up with the story this way but they just need to offer a "recommended" character for newer players to use on a first playthrough to see all the content and narrative meanwhile there's plenty of chances to have characters talk of what's happening elsewhere (DW9 does that a lot anyway).

You can easily speed up stories by going straight for the boss. If you're too weak to do that (after all it's not easy to go straight for a boss backed up by several unique officers on Chaos or Ultimate) then you can drop the difficulty immensely. You can skip the chapters you don't want to invest your character in and focus on their major ones.

I know it's far from ideal, but I prefer this to having only a few battles per character. I'd rather everybody shares most of their battles because this lets me play as whoever I want for as long as I want and the fact I can radically change the difficulty makes it possible to skip arcs/chapters should I feel so inclined.

Having said all this, I'm not to sure what you're advocating in terms fo individual vs. kingdom; I think you prefer kingdom-based stories, but would you say 9 is a good compromise? I think it is, and that's what I'm arguing for. Are you saying you want something like 9 but with the option to skip chapters you already played as someone else in (or something)?
Ya iz russki bot
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Character stories are a major letdown
  • Topic Archived