• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. DW9 haters would you still buy DW9 if it was DW8 reskinned?

User Info: Locklan

Locklan
2 months ago#31
Just use ignore like half the board already has.
"None are so fallible as those who are sure they're right"

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
2 months ago#32
Degalon posted...
I love how people try go "but change!"

Yeah but there's good changes and bad changes.

Dw9's bad changes far, far, far outweight it's good changes.

The biggest issue seems to be the move more toward an RPG/HS game from a Musho-Character based fighting gane.

User Info: Dark Symphony

Dark Symphony
2 months ago#33
Locklan posted...

A good indicator of the low quality of some of the posters here (I know you see this, by the way).

User Info: DsPsofLife

DsPsofLife
2 months ago#34
ComingEvil posted...
DsPsofLife posted...
ComingEvil posted...
DsPsofLife posted...
It would fix one of the three biggest problems. However, the battles would still take place in the same copy/paste bases and forts and it would still be missing the great weapon customization from DW8. The gem system in DW9 is horrible.

Sorry man, about the last thing i care about is cut ‘n paste bases or forts. They mapped all of freakin China with hundreds of them. Doing individual customization for each one is simply not practical.

Aside from the switch attacks, the weapon system in 9 is simply more sophisticated and superior. I mean collecting , hording, and crafting different gems to make specific types of weapons for each character or scenario instead of unlocking stock hidden weapons after looking up where they are?

I will break down what I typed for you.
I agree that if you go wandering around, the rest of China looks great. The problem is once you go wandering around to unlock the points on the map, there is no reason to ever go out and see most of the map again. The battles and the majority of the game take place in the middle and north middle of the map. Most of the battles take place within the tiny forts and bases and have the same basic layout. The only excpetion is, normally the final battle of a chapter will take place in a bigger base/castle. Even battles that normally have a different feel to them like Chibi(fire ships) and Yiling(Stone Sentinel Maze) don't feel that much different than other more plain battles.

Now the actual combat and movesets took a few huge steps back. Enemies are giant damage sponges(or you are just extremely weak) and you just have to keep poking them hoping that the triangle prompt to kill them comes up sooner than later. You hope that when it does come up that it actually activates, plus it targets the correct enemy.

The combat strings are like an Unlimited Renbu version 2.0. The majority of combat is spamming square until you get the finisher prompt and using the R1+O on cooldown. Musou attacks were severely gimped and you have no reliable source of heavy damage or AOE attacks. Damage makes no sense. The damage you can do with the bow is either 1-shot kill or does no damage at all to the same enemies. The weapons all feel the same now, you no longer have weapons that excel at using charge attacks, normal string or a mix of both. The only difference now is the attack range.

Now onto the thing that holds DW9 back the most, the weapon building and gem system. You can no longer freely put useful elements onto a weapon(most suck) or control what elements it has. Getting the best weapon takes no time. My Sun Jian already had all of the (fake)Nine Rings Blades in chapter 1, he was the first character I played with. So the accomplishment of getting the best weapon and anticipation of getting more loot is already gone. The only element or gem attribute that I found to be any good was the +4 attack speed. None of the other elements or attributes did anything worthy of being used. The Lord Gems are too random and I never found one that worked better than the purple fire gems that gave +4 attack speed. Since you are spamming square the whole time, you might as well spam faster so things die a little faster.

Do you have the scrolls for the Lord Gems yet?

While grinding for/buying the materials (Agate, Ruby, etc), is a process, this is where the weapon system truly shines and making the perfect weapon(s) for each character becomes one of the most addictive tasks in history.

Where do you get the scrolls for them?

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
1 month ago#35

Where do you get the scrolls for them?

The Lord Gem Scrolls are awards in The Arena

Just take a low level charecter. (it adjusts to the characters level), load up all you’re best attack and assult gems on your highest weapon and you’ll get trough the 10 rounds soon enough

User Info: Locklan

Locklan
1 month ago#36
Dark Symphony posted...
Locklan posted...

A good indicator of the low quality of some of the posters here (I know you see this, by the way).

Hmmm after years of using walls of text to inflict utter boredom onto anyone with the misfortune to encounter them, you have said said something of value. One should follow the same advice they give to others.
"None are so fallible as those who are sure they're right"

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#37
Locklan posted...
Dark Symphony posted...
Locklan posted...

Hmmm after years of using walls of text to inflict utter boredom onto anyone with the misfortune to encounter them, you have said said something of value. One should follow the same advice they give to others.

Can't inflict boredom unless people are reading and if they're rreadings they're doing it voluntarily. Quite the paradox for you to unravel.

And do people still think it's not embarrassing to derisively use the phrase "walls of text" in 2018? I thought we'd be past the whole "sustained reading over the internet is bad" gimmick by now considering the fact that the internet is the most widely used form of communication in the history of mankind.

User Info: Gundam_Rising

Gundam_Rising
1 month ago#38
Degalon posted...
If they'd just kept the 8 weapons and movesets, plus level design, on top of going open world, 9 would have been my game of the year.
i agree with this

Skode24 posted...
Most of the DW8 need to die. They got too far fetched and in particular too gimmicky. Why have to time presses to get best out of Ding Feng when older characters did same job far easier? Why force hits to access rest of moveset on Guan Suo when others don't have to? Why struggle to chain combos with Zhu Ran when others just need to push buttons?
the movesets is where they get the most criticism, so they likely were trying to get it more like DMC/Bayonetta. They do need to change it, but not to the point where it's like a fighting game.
ComingEvil posted...

In DW8, people complained the game never changes, so it changed, now they complain that it changed . . .

A lot of games are starting to have this problem and it's annoying af honestly
PSN: Legendary_Hi-Nu Semi-retired ACI pilot, Rising_Gundam(jpn alt)
Xbox 360: II Dark Z II Seriously thinking about quitting

Dark Symphony
1 month ago#39
Gundam_Rising posted...
In DW8, people complained the game never changes, so it changed, now they complain that it changed . . .

A lot of games are starting to have this problem and it's annoying af honestly

That's because your perspective is under-constructed.

See, rationality dictates that when people want something to change they want it to change but still be good.

Yet we still have people out there embarrassing themselves with thoughts like "u gaiz asked for change and got it and are mad that u got it becuz u gaiz are unreasonable because obviously you just wanted changr regardless of quality."

Gamers are some of the most self-destructive people in the world. Often woefully obtuse.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. DW9 haters would you still buy DW9 if it was DW8 reskinned?
  • Topic Archived