• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Characters You Would Like To See In Future Installments?

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#31
Skode24 posted...

Late Shu has far better picks though from Zhang Yi to Fei Yi. I think he's became this "everyone else is asking for him so I'll ask for him too". He is pretty underwhelming but I keep hearing his longevity as his biggest draw and not what he would actually add besides another dude who stands in the back as people are talking oblivious to the prescence lol.

Han Deng was surprisingly good at that lol. When he was first added, I was more than a little skeptical. I got to like him quickly though, as his trying to stand out in spite of being relatively plain and unknown made him stand out in a funny kind of way.

I'm not particularly big on Liao Hua, I just think he might be interesting just because he lived so long (supposedly, at least) and he doesn't really need to be a badass to be fun or interesting. He could just be some dude who doesn't really get much sunlight until the last moments of Shu and that could work for him.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
2 months ago#32
SiegvonWal posted...
Skode24 posted...

Late Shu has far better picks though from Zhang Yi to Fei Yi. I think he's became this "everyone else is asking for him so I'll ask for him too". He is pretty underwhelming but I keep hearing his longevity as his biggest draw and not what he would actually add besides another dude who stands in the back as people are talking oblivious to the prescence lol.

Han Deng was surprisingly good at that lol. When he was first added, I was more than a little skeptical. I got to like him quickly though, as his trying to stand out in spite of being relatively plain and unknown made him stand out in a funny kind of way.

I'm not particularly big on Liao Hua, I just think he might be interesting just because he lived so long (supposedly, at least) and he doesn't really need to be a badass to be fun or interesting. He could just be some dude who doesn't really get much sunlight until the last moments of Shu and that could work for him.

Yeah but he was prominent from start to finish appearing in most of the battles of his life time from Sun Jian era through Ce and finally Quan. Liao Hua was a bandit, YTR finished and after Guan Yu rejects his offer of service he vanished till after Jing was occupied and the story shifts to Hanzong campaign (which he wasn't at, he remained behind in Jing).

He's essentially gonna be a chapter 9 debut as a playable so very different scenario compared to Han Dang. As such as he's such a late Shu era officer I'd rather likes of Zhang Yi or Fei Yi as they add far more to the story. I do accept he's a popular demand though, id not rage if he was added (unless he's another Guan obsessive...) But I really don't get his popularity as a demand, like yourself I'm not particularly big on him lol.

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#33
Skode24 posted...
Yeah but he was prominent from start to finish appearing in most of the battles of his life time from Sun Jian era through Ce and finally Quan. Liao Hua was a bandit, YTR finished and after Guan Yu rejects his offer of service he vanished till after Jing was occupied and the story shifts to Hanzong campaign (which he wasn't at, he remained behind in Jing).
Interesting. If they were to give him an individual story, he'd actually be quite interesting to play as... Of course, I doubt they would in a vanilla game but if they continue to combine "kingdom story" with "individual story" they could certainly do it. I respect DW9 for making stories individual again as kingdom story was never good at giving time in the sun for the lesser folks, which was a shame in DW7-8 (although they could just do it 4-style and throw out the history book in favor of a loosely historical immortal war where Sun Jian is the first Wu Emperor lol).

He's essentially gonna be a chapter 9 debut as a playable so very different scenario compared to Han Dang. As such as he's such a late Shu era officer I'd rather likes of Zhang Yi or Fei Yi as they add far more to the story. I do accept he's a popular demand though, id not rage if he was added (unless he's another Guan obsessive...) But I really don't get his popularity as a demand, like yourself I'm not particularly big on him lol.

Agreed, although I know too little of Zhang Yi or Fe Yi to comment about their merits. I just vaguely know they worked with Zhuge Liang and did some big things but nothing specific. I might have worked with them in Romance 13 and remember their faces but not their names though...

I'd hate another fanboy. I mean, for people who like Zhou Cang sure good for you and all that but... Yeah, I don't like him. He's just some guy who has a big thing for Guan Yu! I mean, Guan Yu's a big dude (at least in fiction) and all but still... He doesn't need no fanboy to show off how big he is, does he?! Let his sons laud their dad and after he's dead the Shu people in general! No need to make a whole new guy just to hold Guan Yu's spear for him...

However, depending on how Koei does Liao Hua, he does have story-potential since his life was rather interesting. The problem with focusing on badasses is that if they pick one they've got to forget another (like when they made Yue Jin I immediately asked myself "why not Yu Jin then?!" and I could easily have gone without those two being playable. I mean, I like Yu Jin and think he's a pretty cool guy and all that, but I wouldn't have been disappointed if I never saw him in the first place. Just if we lost him after he's been made). At least by focusing on the lesser characters with interesting pasts you've got new gameplay and story potential.

Personally though, I think Shu's a full house and Koei ought to add a couple folks for Late Wu and call the Three Kingdoms done. Sima Yan, Yang Hu, some waifus (especially Wu Guotai and Bianshi) and that's it for the major factions. I really want to see the countryside opened up (especially in an Open World Dynasty Warriors) with playable Others such as Liu Zhang and Liu Biao! And of course, the many potential waifus like Zou Shi and Cai Shi (to be clear, Liu Biao's wife), as well as the potential badasses like Ji Ling, Yan Liang, and Wen Chou. Or maybe even some goofs like Liu Yao or Yan Baihu--I'd love to see the Others get some love. I remember back when all four factions (Wei, Wu, Shu, Other) were about the same size... now Other is but a handful of mostly Dong/Lu Clan members.

Oh, and of course Ma Teng. I don't know if he'd be counted as Other or Shu (I can easily call him Shu because his sons wear green so why not their pops? Their troops have worn green in most DW games so they might as well) but being Ma Chao's important dad... He gotta be playable eventually!
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Asdeq

Asdeq
2 months ago#34
The idea of a loyalist man who watched and build the foundation of the kingdom and it's immediate ends was captivating.

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#35
ADDED: Oh, and I was quite happy to see Yuan Shu actually. He may be silly, but he's the right kind of silly and added quite a bit to the early game as an adversary to many of the Three Kingdoms as well as Yuan Shao. I hope Koei continues to expand the Others since there's a lot of potential there.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
2 months ago#36
SiegvonWal posted...
ADDED: Oh, and I was quite happy to see Yuan Shu actually. He may be silly, but he's the right kind of silly and added quite a bit to the early game as an adversary to many of the Three Kingdoms as well as Yuan Shao. I hope Koei continues to expand the Others since there's a lot of potential there.

I'd say I respectfully disagree on that but you've swayed me somewhat when you mentioned opening up the country side. Obviously were heavily focused on the central plains for the most part and having more Others warlords would allow us to dawdle more in the more pretty or unique locales they have in the game.

Gongsun Zan is pretty much the most obvious option story wise (don't think you mentioned him) he has close ties with Lui Bei and Zhao Yun as well as having a sizable role early game against likes of Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao. Speaking of which there is also Yuan Tan who can represent the expansion of the Yuan story with the war of the Yuan siblings as well as have amusing interactions with Wei as frenemies as he allied with them Vs his family in the north (they ran further north to the desert and security of the bandits there - a great excuse to use that part of china for a change).

Ma Teng and Liu Biao didn't add much - Teng the more interesting of the two and has a few officers to bounce off straight away but I'm not sure they can do much with him as they did a decent job of showing his massacre by Cao Cao (though it was a one sided massacre as he was duped). Liu Biao did fight Sun Jian's force when the latter tried to flee with the Seal but that's not using a lesser featured part of the map or adding much plot wise (only Huang Zhong comes to mind as having served him of the cast).

We shall just wait and see - Others don't make for great expansion adds but they DO kinda fit the bill for ideal bite size season pass DLC ones on the other hand.

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#37
Skode24 posted...

Gongsun Zan is pretty much the most obvious option story wise (don't think you mentioned him) he has close ties with Lui Bei and Zhao Yun as well as having a sizable role early game against likes of Dong Zhuo and Yuan Shao. Speaking of which there is also Yuan Tan who can represent the expansion of the Yuan story with the war of the Yuan siblings as well as have amusing interactions with Wei as frenemies as he allied with them Vs his family in the north (they ran further north to the desert and security of the bandits there - a great excuse to use that part of china for a change).
You're right, I forgot to mention Gongsun Zan lol. I've brought this topic enough on here and the big Koei forum so I'm bound to forget a few things lol. But yes, Zan and Tan would make good adds partly for the reasons you've described. I think Shang ought to come too though, since it'd be awkward seeing a cool but brash bull go up against a generic clone (one beef I got with 9 is that generics don't look as good as they used to, especially the rulers).
Ma Teng and Liu Biao didn't add much - Teng the more interesting of the two and has a few officers to bounce off straight away but I'm not sure they can do much with him as they did a decent job of showing his massacre by Cao Cao (though it was a one sided massacre as he was duped). Liu Biao did fight Sun Jian's force when the latter tried to flee with the Seal but that's not using a lesser featured part of the map or adding much plot wise (only Huang Zhong comes to mind as having served him of the cast).
Ma Teng could add fighting the western barbarians to the early game, and if Han Sui were added with him then Han Sui could be alongside the westies and well... You know, potential for a brotherhood story ending with Ma Teng being effectively succeeded by Ma Chao at the end. At the very least I think he should be a UNPC because he's Ma Chao's friggen dad!

Liu Biao could offer an adversarial perspective to Sun Jian, Ce, and Quan which sadly hasn't been a thing since DW3 (and that was one of my favorite battles--I still remember playing from Liu Biao's side trying not to get shot to death by Wu crossbowmen lol). His wife could add yet another perspective against Liu Bei, which could be both fun and interesting even if it's the only part where Cai Shi diverges from her husband.

Liu Zhang would obviously be fun against Liu Bei and before that could go against Dong Zhuo (especially since Liu Zhang had to escape Dong Zhuo), although it'd be semi-fictional in the long run. The intervening peace chapters could be dedicated to either silly off-the-wall stuff or skipped over, though I'd rather Koei just got creative and made stuff up since they're quite good at that (SW1 being my favorite example of where they do it right).

And of course, besides the big guys, you could add their chief vassals (especially Zhang Ren and Cai Mao) and while it'd cover commonly crossed parts of the map, I'd love to play as Zhang Xiu and struggle to rebuild their clan against Cao Cao. Not to mention a fine femme fatale in the form of Zou Shi...

I want to see Shi Xie, though admittedly his story would have to be fictional. Could be good.

We shall just wait and see - Others don't make for great expansion adds but they DO kinda fit the bill for ideal bite size season pass DLC ones on the other hand.
I gotta disagree with you on this one; DW3XL was essentially an expansion of the Others as it gave them proper storylines rather than being Free Mode only characters. I don't know how well it'd sell to the fanbase initially, but I think it could pay for itself if they do it well enough to warrant positive reviews from the early buyers. I'd totally buy a season pass rivaling the cost of the main game if it meant getting the Others expanded, especially into the country, as that's where I want to play the most.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: Locklan

Locklan
2 months ago#38
I would prefer the inclusion of Han Sui over Ma Teng though I suspect the latter is more likely.

I don’t particularly care for the others category. Gongson Zan is a peripheral character that doesn’t really do anything of note. Liu Biao is interesting but it’s just for one thing. I’d be more inclined to add generals for Yuan Shao and keep expanding Lu Bu which is why I prefer the addition of Zang Ba, a character with personality that both expands Lu Bu and adds another Wei general at the same time.

Also still irritated that Gao Shun got passed over for that tool, Hua Xiong. Gao Shun was a legitimate top tier general whereas the other is notable only for being made up so he could be decapitated.
"None are so fallible as those who are sure they're right"

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
2 months ago#39
Sun Hao: This would extend Wu to the final chapters, and provide a “villain” for that time period. They may have to be creative with scenarios, but the Wu tyrant that surrendered to Jin would be an interesting change

Cao Zhang: while in a few traditional battles, he was primarily in charge of the north putting down rebellions/bandits etc. He would be great for bandit hunting.

He Jin: An extremely important character, that would expand on the Yellow Turban/Dong Zhao period

Cao Rui: Other than “too many rulers”, I don’t know why they haven’t included him yet.

User Info: ComingEvil

ComingEvil
2 months ago#40
Locklan posted...
I would prefer the inclusion of Han Sui over Ma Teng though I suspect the latter is more likely.

I don’t particularly care for the others category. Gongson Zan is a peripheral character that doesn’t really do anything of note. Liu Biao is interesting but it’s just for one thing. I’d be more inclined to add generals for Yuan Shao and keep expanding Lu Bu which is why I prefer the addition of Zang Ba, a character with personality that both expands Lu Bu and adds another Wei general at the same time.

Also still irritated that Gao Shun got passed over for that tool, Hua Xiong. Gao Shun was a legitimate top tier general whereas the other is notable only for being made up so he could be decapitated.

heh that’s be pretty cool if Han Sui was sans a hand for his “second custome”
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Characters You Would Like To See In Future Installments?
  • Topic Archived