• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Most overexposed character in DW games?

User Info: Lord_plague

Lord_plague
1 month ago#31
Zhao yun and Guan yu though I am bias to Wu cause they are my favorites whule shu are boring to me
Nemo immortalis est

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
1 month ago#32
RPGNoZero posted...
I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Sima Zhao. He's literally one of the biggest story spotlight stealer lol. At least 80% of Jin's stories in DW were about his character arc. Even Jia Chong was added purely for him.

Then while his in-game character was pretty well done, he's clearly a misinterpretation from his tyrannical self in the history/novel. Because he ended up to be the "winner" of the story, they clearly whitewashed him to be heroic. Surprised with the lack of critics from the history/novel fans.

Sima Zhao, much like Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Quan, is a country ruler therefore it makes sense for him to get a lot of attention--even if it's historically incorrect or a stretch of the truth.

The question's not "whose portrayal do you dislike the most" but "who gets more screentime/attention than they ought based on whatever?" and for the latter Zhao Yun's an obvious choice because he's on the cover, intro, promos, and yet isn't particularly special outside Chang Ban in-game.

Not to mention Sima Zhao's a Jin character, therefore it's like many players won't even reach him within their first couple playthroughs of the game ("playthrough" meaning the time you dedicate to playing this game in terms of a week or two) because, unless they want to skip ahead, there's 13 chapters and at least one character from each kingdom to play as first.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: qwertyMrJINX

qwertyMrJINX
1 month ago#33
RPGNoZero posted...
I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Sima Zhao. He's literally one of the biggest story spotlight stealer lol. At least 80% of Jin's stories in DW were about his character arc. Even Jia Chong was added purely for him.

Then while his in-game character was pretty well done, he's clearly a misinterpretation from his tyrannical self in the history/novel. Because he ended up to be the "winner" of the story, they clearly whitewashed him to be heroic. Surprised with the lack of critics from the history/novel fans.

I wouldn't really call that white-washing. The series just tries to maintain a lighthearted attitude. Nobody does anything more villainous than "pillaging" in these games. Probably because the games are supposed to be kid-friendly, to a certain degree.
There ain't nothing to get, you just gotta have that shine

User Info: Izzyama

Izzyama
1 month ago#34
As much as I love him, Xiahou Dun does not deserve the spotlight he gets. The others I can understand since they're all major players in history and the book, except Yuanji. But she doesn't steal other people's roles either.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Most overexposed character in DW games?
  • Topic Archived