• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Most overexposed character in DW games?

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
2 months ago#21
Hayato Nekketsu posted...
Complaining about Cao Cao not being a villain means you should also complain about how Liu Bei and Sima Zhao are always portrayed as near perfect good boys despite doing dastardly deeds themselves.

This, Lui Bei and the benevolants were anything but as wholesome as they're made out to be here. Zhuge Liang is made out to be flawless, Zhao Yun invincible and Lui Bei as though he were a saint (ignoring fact he's quite possibly the worst father in the entire novel lol - poor Lui Shan had no chance).

Besides Cao Cao is portrayed great here - as a pragmatic visionary who will do whatever it takes to bring peace to the land even if that means becoming the villian to do so, he even says as much.

User Info: SuperDWFan

SuperDWFan
2 months ago#22
It's because the producer admitted that Cao Cao is one of his favorite characters which is why he's always shown in good light while Liu Bei and 90% of Shu were downgraded to extremely bland characters, all because of Koei and their rampant fangirlism over Wei.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like.

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
2 months ago#23
SuperDWFan posted...
It's because the producer admitted that Cao Cao is one of his favorite characters which is why he's always shown in good light while Liu Bei and 90% of Shu were downgraded to extremely bland characters, all because of Koei and their rampant fangirlism over Wei.

Shu characters are so bland because they're Mary Sue's written to be mostly without flaws in the games. If they were so Wei biased at Koei they'd write down Shu as not being the heroes of the people.

Lui Bei gets a cutscene dedicated to his death, as did Zhuge Liang, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. Everyone mourned a good Shu death over at Koei as per normal. Love how yet again SSX just magically gives everything for Lui Bei over her own people again... Wei bias at work?

And no the producers fave character is Xiahou Dun. He's also said many times over the years the one character he's most wanted to add was Zhou Cang complete with the hat who is a Shu character (who has since not only been added but also even featured in Warriors All Stars).

Your issue is Cao Cao is hes just a far better character as they show him with warts and all. Shu? Almost every negative from the Shu biased novel is conveniently not shown in the games (now that's saying something) but sure it's WEI they're biased over there eh?

User Info: redroses_4life

redroses_4life
2 months ago#24
SuperDWFan posted...

We've already been through this. Xiahou Dun is the producer's favourite, not Cao Cao.
Anjar elium farakeeu agua.
Who could possibly fight us?

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
2 months ago#25
Zhao Yun by far. Screw that guy. I don't mind Sanada Yukimura because he actually contributes quite a bit to the lore & history of SW. Zhao Yun is just some poster boy who does practically nothing except rescue Liu Bei's heir. Said heir gets thrown to the ground by Liu Bei soon after. Heh.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
2 months ago#26
redroses_4life posted...
SuperDWFan posted...

We've already been through this. Xiahou Dun is the producer's favourite, not Cao Cao.

Who's his waifu? I'm guessing it's Wang Yi since I've seen him blushingly standing next to cardboard cutouts of Wang Yi teh Lightning cos-player.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#27
HopesPeak posted...

Who's his waifu? I'm guessing it's Wang Yi since I've seen him blushingly standing next to cardboard cutouts of Wang Yi teh Lightning cos-player.

Lol that's something I have to see. HopesPeak posted...
Zhao Yun by far. Screw that guy. I don't mind Sanada Yukimura because he actually contributes quite a bit to the lore & history of SW. Zhao Yun is just some poster boy who does practically nothing except rescue Liu Bei's heir. Said heir gets thrown to the ground by Liu Bei soon after. Heh.

In fictional history (lol), Zhao Yun DOES beat up a lot of fictional Wei generals up to almost Wu Zhang Plains...

However he's no Yukimura; at least Yukimura actually put up a good fight against the Tokugawa and had a chance of reigniting the Toyotomi Clan.Not to mention Yukimura was apparently a skilled engineer (or castle builder at least), on top of his historically accurate though exaggerated valor.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: SuperDWFan

SuperDWFan
2 months ago#28
You don't become a poster boy for a game for nothing.

If anything, Zhao Yun gets all the hate for nothing really. He is not overexposed - Yukimura is. His deeds aren't overly glorified - Zhuge Liang's are. I actually bet if Zhao Yun has served Wei instead of Shu, he wouldn't get half as much hate and would be just as popular among western fans as Zhang Liao and Dian Wei.
It's amazing how people hang around message boards of games they don't like.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
2 months ago#29
SuperDWFan posted...
You don't become a poster boy for a game for nothing.

If anything, Zhao Yun gets all the hate for nothing really. He is not overexposed - Yukimura is. His deeds aren't overly glorified - Zhuge Liang's are. I actually bet if Zhao Yun has served Wei instead of Shu, he wouldn't get half as much hate and would be just as popular among western fans as Zhang Liao and Dian Wei.

I wasn't hating on Zhao Yun, I just never really cared for him (partly because he was the "default character" to me as a kid, therefore I preferred other characters since I never liked "default" for some reason) because he's kinda just "the hero" or "white knight" and the "Little Dragon" in DW3.

I like Zhang Liao because he's cool and used to have an awesome weapon that was basically a guandao with a red lining over a part of it. Ever since he begun using axes, I stopped playing as him since I never got into them.

I do think Zhao Yun's "over-exposed" in the sense of getting more visual attention than is warranted. It makes sense for Zhuge Liang or Guan Yu to get a lot of attention because they were major figures in the founding of Shu (especially in the fictional additions to the story). Personally I think a cover like the one on DW4: Empires would be best as it showcases all Three Kingdoms with one notable badass from each of them. I generally like the older covers/trailers because it shows more than just a naked Zhao Yun getting dressed before reliving his Chang Ban glory days yet again.
Ya iz russki bot

User Info: RPGNoZero

RPGNoZero
2 months ago#30
I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Sima Zhao. He's literally one of the biggest story spotlight stealer lol. At least 80% of Jin's stories in DW were about his character arc. Even Jia Chong was added purely for him.

Then while his in-game character was pretty well done, he's clearly a misinterpretation from his tyrannical self in the history/novel. Because he ended up to be the "winner" of the story, they clearly whitewashed him to be heroic. Surprised with the lack of critics from the history/novel fans.
Xehanort's guardian is the will of Kairi's grandma. It will absorb Xehanort and become Kairi's grandma, the final villain!!!
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Most overexposed character in DW games?
  • Topic Archived