Why is the franchise so niche now?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why is the franchise so niche now?

User Info: Fountain

Fountain
5 months ago#1
Remember when DW3-4 were the s***? What happened?

User Info: Fried

Fried
5 months ago#2
DW9 happened.

User Info: Locklan

Locklan
5 months ago#3
It was sort of always niche in the West and Japan has pivoted away from console games which hurts it. If you aren’t super into the style and period of the game you’re probably not coming back for the eighth rendition of the same thing especially given the games are usually flawed and struggle to innovate.

The gaming landscape is a lot different these days.
"None are so fallible as those who are sure they're right"

User Info: Dentenshi

Dentenshi
5 months ago#4
Dynasty warriors was ans still a laughing stock series. Omg, all the annoying X play reviews. Btw the meta critic on this games hover around the same numbers
Do all things in the glory of God and the love of humanity! PSN:Dentenshi

User Info: daosiying

daosiying
5 months ago#5
I see Fried is still butthurt.

In any case, it's niche is primarily for 2 reasons. One, with the exception of 6 and 9 (we don't count 1 cause that's not actually part of this series) the game changes very little between titles. It's not enough of an expansion so the franchise starts to appear oversaturated.

Also consider the amount of spin-offs out there like Samurai Warriors and every side project released as a DW game. At one point there were 3 different Musou games coming out within 2 months of each other. You're just competing with yourself at that point and with games that aren't that different.

Two, Chinese setting. Let's be real. White people are gonna be put off by this. I mean have you seen the lack of Asian representation produced in the western world? This is just too foreign for a lot of people out here and it's gonna be like that for a while.

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
5 months ago#6
daosiying posted...
the game changes very little between titles.

i disagree. each iteration tries to change up combat and general gameplay. people love saying it's the Call of Duty, but Koei at least tries to change different things each time instead of just reskinning a new weapon here and there.
You just lost the game.

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
5 months ago#7
daosiying posted...
Two, Chinese setting. Let's be real. White people are gonna be put off by this. I mean have you seen the lack of Asian representation produced in the western world? This is just too foreign for a lot of people out here and it's gonna be like that for a while.

Lol literally every White male I know has a thing for Asian culture especially China and Japan. For different reasons but the setting is very appealing even if just as a change of pace. I know I live as a minority and most hang out with minority Whites so maybe they're different where you come from but most of us barely watch/read Western media and instead consume Eastern media of some form or another.

East>West as far as entertainment goes.
Siegfried von Walheim

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
5 months ago#8
Hasn't the series always been niche? And that's not exactly a bad thing. Usually when games become really popular more and more fans become disgruntled by the compromises made for them. Like Fallout 4 relative to Fallout 2. I love Fallout 4 but a lot of old school fans don't because it drifted so far from the original and core depth and experience.

Meanwhile Dynasty Warriors has not changed as radically as Fallout or the Elder Scrolls in part because it's had mostly the same fan base with similar-tasted people buying and enjoying and critiquing it. Part of why it's "stagnant" is because Koei generally doubled down with what it thinks its fanbase wants rather than try to expand the fanbase.

Obviously that has its own problems but I am pretty sure what we have is a niche series that largely the same fan base since the PS2 days (plus whomever those fans roped in and whomever became attracted to later games).
Siegfried von Walheim

User Info: daosiying

daosiying
5 months ago#9
Taterzz posted...
daosiying posted...
the game changes very little between titles.

i disagree. each iteration tries to change up combat and general gameplay. people love saying it's the Call of Duty, but Koei at least tries to change different things each time instead of just reskinning a new weapon here and there.

Except COD is carried by its competitive multi-player and a number of small subtle changes between games. The core gameplay is standard FPS but it's all the smaller elements that maintains its audience. I should know, I'm credited on 4 of them. Not that it's my cup of tea.

DW changes aren't substantial like the jump between something like DMC1>2>3. QOL changes are one thing, but the core combat doesn't change much. The Ps2 games only did like what?

Changed C3 to a multi hit. (4)
Changed C5 into an AOE. (5)
Slapped on an extra 3 S inputs (5)
Rage (5)

It's just not a large enough change. It's sticking to the status quo without adding anything really new besides characters.

Effectively the combat never branches out past its own standards. Orochi is like the only time where this is OK because Orochi adds so many other elements in that it makes up for the decidedly limited moveset.

User Info: Skode24

Skode24
5 months ago#10
Because sales have been declining since DW 6 no matter what Koei tries or does. DW3 era it was fresh, including the source material that it even spawned games like DW Tactics. Now? its like the latest Guiar Hero - a dying fad sadly. Theyve done great to keep it going this long (were at about our twentieth DW themed release lol).
  1. Boards
  2. Dynasty Warriors 9
  3. Why is the franchise so niche now?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived