• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. Was the writing in The Fairly OddParents actually that good?

User Info: CcXs

CcXs
1 month ago#1
I always thought the show was terrible when it came to writing. Basically every episode has the same plot of Timmy making a wish, and then something bad happens because of that wish and then he was to fix it.

Also, the show has a lot of plot holes in it and it has no problems with ignoring continuation.

User Info: Wandering__Hero

Wandering__Hero
1 month ago#2
No.

Even when it was considered "good" it was little more than a time killer. Though it could be pretty funny but it got really repetive.

Also gotta love how they give Trixie an episode that drastically expands her character then every other episode ignores it
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/

User Info: StewieGriffin23

StewieGriffin23
1 month ago#3
The show's main selling point had always been that it was funny. When the show got uncancelled in 2008, it wasn't as funny, though Season 6 was still decent and Poof was probably the only good new character.

Season 7 is when the show largely began to rely on stupid gimmicks and getting rid of old characters (crazy characterization being one of the show's best sources of humor). Since they left Timmy's Dad and Crocker to provide a massive chunk of the humor after dropping so much of the supporting cast, both became stale and wore out their welcomes. Even Cosmo was starting to lose his touch. Then Season 9 came along and they had to add Sparky, who is easily the most unfunny character on the show. Chloe wasn't much better, and (along with drastic flanderization) a large contributing factor as to why the show got cancelled for good after Season 10.

I miss the days when there was a multitude of hilarious characters like Chester, Veronica, Catman, Mark Chang, etc.

tl;dr, the show is defined by being funny, and its decline is because it stopped being funny.
Put this in your signature if you want an open-world Pokemon game.

User Info: McMarbles

McMarbles
1 month ago#4
Even in the good seasons they had the habit of running gags into the ground.
Currently playing: Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)
#SluggoIsLit

User Info: 0K_Then

0K_Then
1 month ago#5
butch hartman may very well be the most successful untalented hack in the history of animation. legit makes me happy that s***ting on him is kinda "in" these days, because i've f***ing hated him for a very long time

User Info: abcDSBT

abcDSBT
1 month ago#6
Yes. It had a number of flaws, even in its heyday, but it was a funny show that earned its spot as Spongebob's rival.

Lets not suddenly act like it sucked just because Butch is a terrible person.

Creator of Vexus, DSBT InsaniT, and Dreamscape. #SaveWOY
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU7p8mLrIMEWBSJio-0P-vg

User Info: ju_mu

ju_mu
1 month ago#7
Butch was always better as a businessman then an actual cartoonist as even when he was doing johnny bravo seth mcfarlane did more of the creative work on seasons 2-3(i dont think butch was involved with season 1 and especially not 4). Danny phantom was only as good as it was because butch was more hands off compared to fop but most fans agree that the final season where he had more creative control was easily the weakest of the series.
Not changing my signature until call of duty penguin warfare or a cod game about a penguin uprising is released.

User Info: nomregroundhogs

nomregroundhogs
1 month ago#8
The writing was good in the sense that the show was funny, but yes even from the beginning they had a tendency to beat running gags to death, and there was never a whole lot of character continuity.

Having seen what Butch has made since (besides Danny Phantom, it’s a minor miracle that show was as good as it was), I can only imagine whatever was good about early FOP can be attributed entirely to crew members other than Butch.

It’s a little sad because from listening to him talk on the Nicktoons podcast he seems like a naturally funny guy, but he’s also a gigantic douche and not all that good at making cartoons.

User Info: StewieGriffin23

StewieGriffin23
1 month ago#9
nomregroundhogs posted...
Having seen what Butch has made since (besides Danny Phantom, it’s a minor miracle that show was as good as it was), I can only imagine whatever was good about early FOP can be attributed entirely to crew members other than Butch.
Eh, TUFF Puppy was also good.
Put this in your signature if you want an open-world Pokemon game.

User Info: Venshen

Venshen
1 month ago#10
the writing wasn’t that good but it was still a very enjoyable cartoon in its earlier years, sometimes it was repetitive but it didn’t really started to drain on you til the later episodes ( and that’s before they started to add new characters), I think it started with cosmo he quickly became extremely stupid as his voice got higher and they ran that into the ground ( the past cosmo especially in the oh yeah cartoons pilots was dumb but not brain dead and had a suave voice), then add in timmys dad and Crocker, make them crazier and it all ends from there

and I think some of the poor quality spilled onto tuffpuppy and Bunsen is a beast ( that show didn’t last that long if I recall )
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. Was the writing in The Fairly OddParents actually that good?
  • Post New Message