• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. In a meta sense, did Star vs TFOE go the way of Game of Thrones? (spoilers)

User Info: abcDSBT

abcDSBT
2 months ago#1
You know, after how it ended, GoT was essentially erased from pop culture. Nobody talks about it, unless its to make fun of it, you don't really see any videos or posts on it, and it isn't even referenced by other shows and stuff. Its like it never existed.

Did Star suffer the same fate? I mean its nowhere near as a slam dunk as GoT was with audiences, but within the cartoon community, its not really brought up, at least not in a good light. I guess the subreddit is lively enough, but I don't see any Youtubers making vids or anyone really Tweeting about it either. And you can't say its because it ended. Shows like Gravity Falls, My Little Pony, and Adventure Time (although that is coming back) ended years ago and they are still getting talked about. Even Wander Over Yonder and OK KO get more talk than Star does nowadays.

I guess that ending made it kind of pointless to invest yourself into the show unless you're a hardcore Starco shipper.

Creator of Vexus, DSBT InsaniT, and Dreamscape. #SaveWOY
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU7p8mLrIMEWBSJio-0P-vg

User Info: De-

De-
2 months ago#2
People say the destination isn't as important as the journey, and while it's true to some extent, the destination can be so soured that frankly revisiting the journey for all its good points merits nothing. People don't fondly talk about Lost anymore because it's whole conceit doesn't lead to a satisfying payoff, and the subtext isn't what most people are watching for. That's just how it is.

That said, there are shows that are virtually flawless and aren't talked about all that much either. It rides a line between popularity and prestige with the communities after all.
But I could be wrong...

User Info: StewieGriffin23

StewieGriffin23
2 months ago#3
If you visit places like TheTopTens, you'd get the impression that SvTFOE is universally-hated.

It's not a perfect show, but it doesn't deserve that much flack. That being said, the finale was horrific.
Biden won the election. America can finally breathe easy again.
Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-3759-9672

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
2 months ago#4
the protagonist committing mass genocide on a universal scale tends to sour people on a story

then there is the fact its clear the only thing the writers cared about was starco

every other thing people where invested in did not matter to them

no just a generic and cliche ship which thanks to the blood moon had no real build up

more interesting relationships where tossed aside and character development ignored

at the end of the day there is nothing to come back to unless your a starco shipper and even many of them where not pleased with the ending (I know id be upset if a ship i liked was used in such a manor)
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: MMTrigger

MMTrigger
2 months ago#5
StewieGriffin23 posted...
If you visit places like TheTopTens, you'd get the impression that SvTFOE is universally-hated.

It's not a perfect show, but it doesn't deserve that much flack. That being said, the finale was horrific.
Reminds me of this web series I watch called "Terrible Writing Advice." In the episode on endings, the author makes it clear that even if the show was great until the ending, if you botch the ending, that's all people will remember.
"Nothing is real if you don't believe in who you are!"- Rocky Balboa
http://mmtrigger.deviantart.com/

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
1 month ago#6
It really messed up with the ending and that deserves all the hate it gets. But the show as a whole? It was more good then bad and there are far worse shows out. No it doesn't deserve to be hated. Just the ending.

I mean a show like Danny Phantom also screwed up big time in it's final season yet it doesn't get nearly as much hate.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one

User Info: TigerTycoon

TigerTycoon
1 month ago#7
As I understand it, but I have not done lots of research, GoT's ratings were dropping, and they wanted to end the show, but the books were not far enough along yet, so they were given a rough idea of where the plot was going, and they made up how the ending was reached themselves, without the book as source material.

I have no idea if the book ending was received better.

Endings are really important though.

A poor ending can sour the taste of the entire series, not that it always does. The most infamous of endings that can ruin an entire story is "it was all a dream" (I have yet to see a successful execution of this twist).

A lot western shows essentially are forced to continue being written until their ratings for it drop enough, so at some point it will become crappy even if it was originally good..

To be fair through, even a lot of shows that didn't have a crap ending often fall out of discussion soon after the show ended. As fondly as Adventure Time was treated at some point, people don't talk about it anymore (given, AT had a mediocre ending that was forced on it, and it became terrible 1/2 way through it's lifetime before recovering a bit).

On the other hand we have stuff like the Star Wars prequels which most people agree were not good movies, but are so memorable and quotable that people are still making memes with them today.
YOU COULDN'T AFFORD IT!

User Info: De-

De-
1 month ago#8
TigerTycoon posted...
I have no idea if the book ending was received better.

There isn't one. George RR Martin, the books' author, still isn't in a hurry to finish the two planned books of his series since he released his latest eight years ago. We have no idea if the final books will be released at all, let alone provide satisfying developments/denouements for this series.
But I could be wrong...

User Info: PLCTheCd2

PLCTheCd2
1 month ago#9
I am on the mobile so.please excuse any errors and such.

Speaking of him. He apparently gave notes to HBO of how he plans to end the novels.in case he dies before he can ever finish.

creativerealms posted...
I mean a show like Danny Phantom also screwed up big time in it's final season yet it doesn't get nearly as much hate.

In Danny Phantom's defense. I believe it's because of Nickelodeon's decision and not by Butch. Thr show itself isn't as episodic compared to Star. I'm not saying that Danny never made any past references but the show had more stand alone episodes along with the fact the show ended too soon.
It's "Nor" NOT "Or" when you use the word "neither".

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
1 month ago#10
PLCTheCd2 posted...
In Danny Phantom's defense. I believe it's because of Nickelodeon's decision and not by Butch.
no it was butch that ruined danny phantom this is well documented he took over in season 3 and ruined every aspect people liked of the show
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
  1. Boards
  2. Cartoons and Animation
  3. In a meta sense, did Star vs TFOE go the way of Game of Thrones? (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived