• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. For those that don't like abby, what's your main reason? (spoilers)

User Info: gregcamhon

gregcamhon
3 weeks ago#1
What don't you like about abby? - Results (118 votes)
Because she kills Joel
20.34% (24 votes)
Her muscles/build
5.93% (7 votes)
I wanted to play as Ellie not her
14.41% (17 votes)
I think her character pushes a political agenda
4.24% (5 votes)
She doesn't have a permanent knife or molotov cocktails
3.39% (4 votes)
I find her unattractive
5.08% (6 votes)
I think she's a bad person
20.34% (24 votes)
Because Owen cheats on Mel with her
1.69% (2 votes)
I find her boring and uninteresting
18.64% (22 votes)
I wanted her to die
5.93% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
The complaints about her character seem pretty varied, so was curious
PSN: Namyenoh
Switch: SW-5592-3895-5009

User Info: majorstefan

majorstefan
3 weeks ago#2
Imo Abby is the best character in the game. She practically carrys the whole game herself

User Info: CODEumb87

CODEumb87
3 weeks ago#3
A few reasons.

• As said in the poll, this was supposed to be Ellie's game, not one she shared with stupid Abby. Druckmann even said in 2016 this would be a game featuring Ellie as the main playable character, just another lie to add to the list.
  • Abby ruined Ellie's story by taking up almost half the game. 95% of Ellie's screen time was full of rage/hatred until those last 7-10 minutes of the story, in which she magically learned to forgive. Cramming Abby into the game made the execution of Ellie's character development sloppy, she needed more time to gradually get to that point of forgiveness.
  • Abby fans are the worst.

User Info: MoJoTuck

MoJoTuck
3 weeks ago#4
majorstefan posted...
Imo Abby is the best character in the game. She practically carrys the whole game herself
Yes, Abby is GREAT.
Si vis pacem, parabellum.

User Info: kingcam07

kingcam07
3 weeks ago#5
Abby sucks. She's not a character as much as a tool, and not for any political agenda. She doesn't feel real. Every moment, every piece of dialogue and backstory feels intentionally created for emotional manipulation. I've never seen it this bad.
PSN: Kingcam07
Switch: 4824-5506-2894 3DS Friend Code: 3797-6991-7772

User Info: Yuji Kaido

Yuji Kaido
3 weeks ago#6
She killed Joel and looks like the Toxic Avenger. Her story beats and quirks are hollow checkmark manipulation, and she has no abilities past "Abby Smash!"

Abby feels more like a product from an angry inconsolable feminist or some bummed out dude than a character, and it shows considering Neil Druckmann is both.

"That's rough, buddy." - Zuko

User Info: Deanyzy

Deanyzy
3 weeks ago#7
I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here. Abby is an excellent villain, she's a repulsive person who leads everyone around her on a path of destruction and she is unable to accept the consequences of her own choices which leads her to lash out more and kill another innocent person and knowing attempt to murder a pregnant woman for the sake of bloodlust. ND do an excellent job of creating a villain who you instantly hate but the problems with her character come from the noble yet flawed attempt to get us to sympathise with her by making us walk a mile in her shoes. On paper, I love what this story tried to do, I honestly do. I'll defend the concept to the death but too much of the story hinged on whether or not the player can learn to root for Abby when the writers didn't do enough to achieve for most people. They thought giving her some kids to save might do it but I think a lot of people saw that for what it was. A cheap ploy over writing her some good character moments that could have redeemed her in the player's eyes.

Honestly, I'd have liked her a lot more if she just owned up to what she did and acknowledged how badly she screwed up but she never really did. She just decided to be a hateful villain and we were forced on a ten hour Abby marathon in which the writers tried to manipulate us into liking her. The main issue with Abby and the story as a whole is that she isn't a compelling or likable protagonist. She's a hypocrite that doesn't reflect on her own role in the tragedies she creates and that makes it hard to root for her when we're meant to see Ellie and Abby as equals on the same self destructive path.

Abby is one of the most successfully written villains in all of gaming, we're meant to hate the villain and they are successful in that regard but ND dropped the ball when it came to her being a protagonist and it made the non-setpiece parts of her story unbearable since I didn't care for her justification and even when I started to warm to her, she proved herself to be the monster I thought she was when she would have gleefully slit Dina's neck.

User Info: ZayKayWill

ZayKayWill
3 weeks ago#8
Deanyzy posted...
I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here. Abby is an excellent villain, she's a repulsive person who leads everyone around her on a path of destruction and she is unable to accept the consequences of her own choices which leads her to lash out more and kill another innocent person and knowing attempt to murder a pregnant woman for the sake of bloodlust. ND do an excellent job of creating a villain who you instantly hate but the problems with her character come from the noble yet flawed attempt to get us to sympathise with her by making us walk a mile in her shoes. On paper, I love what this story tried to do, I honestly do. I'll defend the concept to the death but too much of the story hinged on whether or not the player can learn to root for Abby when the writers didn't do enough to achieve for most people. They thought giving her some kids to save might do it but I think a lot of people saw that for what it was. A cheap ploy over writing her some good character moments that could have redeemed her in the player's eyes.

Honestly, I'd have liked her a lot more if she just owned up to what she did and acknowledged how badly she screwed up but she never really did. She just decided to be a hateful villain and we were forced on a ten hour Abby marathon in which the writers tried to manipulate us into liking her. The main issue with Abby and the story as a whole is that she isn't a compelling or likable protagonist. She's a hypocrite that doesn't reflect on her own role in the tragedies she creates and that makes it hard to root for her when we're meant to see Ellie and Abby as equals on the same self destructive path.

Abby is one of the most successfully written villains in all of gaming, we're meant to hate the villain and they are successful in that regard but ND dropped the ball when it came to her being a protagonist and it made the non-setpiece parts of her story unbearable since I didn't care for her justification and even when I started to warm to her, she proved herself to be the monster I thought she was when she would have gleefully slit Dina's neck.

I mean Dina was attacking her though so of course she tried to kill her? Not to mention she let Ellie live as well when she very easily could have killed her and left it at that.
Bottom line love your self and what you do and GET THAT MONEY. **** every thing else! -shinwufang2

User Info: Deanyzy

Deanyzy
3 weeks ago#9
ZayKayWill posted...
I mean Dina was attacking her though so of course she tried to kill her? Not to mention she let Ellie live as well when she very easily could have killed her and left it at that.

Abby subdued her and was knowingly going to kill a pregnant woman out of spite and without remorse. It would be no different to Ellie killing Mel if Dina died in the struggle but Abby was going to kill her after she was already incapacitated knowing she was pregnant.

The writers tried to create a parralel there between Abby and Ellie but it didn't work as well as they hoped since the context is completely different. Ellie didn't know and was broken when she found out Mel was pregnant which tells us she never would have harmed her if she knew. Abby had already knocked out Dina and was going to slit her throat knowing she was pregnant to send a message.

Surely I don't have to point out the difference?

User Info: 7etoAtreides

7etoAtreides
3 weeks ago#10
The muscles and how she killed Joel is what bothered me.

Flashback Abby looked fine, there was no need to make her the hulk.

She could have killed Joel in a different context, without torturing him first.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. For those that don't like abby, what's your main reason? (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A