• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. finally finishing it i'm having a hard time understanding the hate .Spoilers

User Info: villanut32

villanut32
3 days ago#1
First the game was far from perfect, but a solid 8.

I think the banter was some of the most natural I've ever seen in a game before.
And once I released this wasn't the first game I enjoyed the well written story for what it was. The frustration and pointlessness of revenge.

I hated Abby, but I think that's the point. Playing as her my feelings didn't change, I didn't suddenly change my view of her, she didn't suddenly become a misunderstood tragic wronged girl.
She stayed the selfish person who responded to her fathers murder by brutally tortureing and murdering another person's loved one. But I also loved that the writing made me hate her.

User Info: jsquad4136

jsquad4136
3 days ago#2
People have explained over and over and over in other topics what they hate about the game.

Feel free time actually take a look at those.
"I haven't been a child since I was 8 years old."
Batman

User Info: ksw1tch

ksw1tch
3 days ago#3
I felt the opposite. I started to feel less for Ellie, looking at her in a negative light. I felt for Abby more as the story went on. All about perspective I guess.

User Info: CaspuR

CaspuR
3 days ago#4
villanut32 posted...
But I also loved that the writing made me hate her.

All the “writing” did was make her kill off a beloved character from the first game, as her notable action.

It didn’t take much “writing” to hate Abby
I'm no God...But I'm the closest thing this world has to one.

User Info: binaryvegeta

binaryvegeta
3 days ago#5
Playing half the game as this terrible new character was very lame..

Abby gets to brutally kill Joel, beat Ellie half to death, kill Jesse , (almost kill Tommy) . Ellie should have just left her on the beach.
Kept you waiting, huh?

User Info: Rabenovich

Rabenovich
3 days ago#6
binaryvegeta posted...
Playing half the game as this terrible new character was very lame..

Abby gets to brutally kill Joel, beat Ellie half to death, kill Jesse , (almost kill Tommy) . Ellie should have just left her on the beach.
Tommy and Ellie killed her friends, even the pregnant woman. And if you say - "thats coz she killed Joel", he killed her father first. It was just personal vendetta. And she left Ellie and Tommy to live, twice.

So saying - "that's coz her father tried to kill Ellie" won't work. Because it won't change a fact that Joel killed her father. And 2nd, her father didn't try to kill Ellie, he need to make a cure, which in this case would be Ellie's death. But it doesn't make him a murderer or something. Ellie wanted it herself, she clearly says it. And Joel could just shoot doctor to the leg and grab ellie, but kills everyone there, even Marleen, so they won't come fore her again. Which in that case, make him a psycho and a mass murderer, and for his own selfish desires even...

User Info: Linetrix

Linetrix
3 days ago#7
The story is just yet another revenge plot. Nothing wrong about revenge plots when done right, which isn't the case with this game since the story really is as simplistic and dull as the most uncreative revenge plots ever conceived.

Abby is as flat a character as she can be. She only gets minimal character development towards the ending of the game. It is super easy to hate her character when the game makes no effort to establish a connection between her and the player. Not to mention the inconsistencies (how the hell is she bulkier than men in a world where everyone is starving to death?)...

Even Ellie became a boring character in this game. I would expect Kratos to be like that and that's fine, it's part of his background. But not Ellie.

The story in this game was a mess.
"If biology 'facts' offend someone, then don't keep posting those facts, simple as that. Biology does not dictate facts about gender" - GameFAQs mod

User Info: villanut32

villanut32
3 days ago#8
Linetrix posted...
The story is just yet another revenge plot. Nothing wrong about revenge plots when done right, which isn't the case with this game since the story really is as simplistic and dull as the most uncreative revenge plots ever conceived.

Abby is as flat a character as she can be. She only gets minimal character development towards the ending of the game. It is super easy to hate her character when the game makes no effort to establish a connection between her and the player. Not to mention the inconsistencies (how the hell is she bulkier than men in a world where everyone is starving to death?)...

Even Ellie became a boring character in this game. I would expect Kratos to be like that and that's fine, it's part of his background. But not Ellie.

The story in this game was a mess.
Isn't that the point though, vengeance changes who you are. Makes you do things you normally wouldn't do in your quest for percieved justice, And in the end it's all pointless.

What I got from the story anyway.

User Info: SolidSnake6785

SolidSnake6785
3 days ago#9
ksw1tch posted...
I felt the opposite. I started to feel less for Ellie, looking at her in a negative light. I felt for Abby more as the story went on. All about perspective I guess.

yeah, i got mad at Ellie for making Abby fight her in the water.
But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. ---Romans 5:8
It's not hard to understand. People have different tastes.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. finally finishing it i'm having a hard time understanding the hate .Spoilers
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A