• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Double Standard? My Review Rejected for Spoilers, but Another was Accepted??

User Info: GabrielFreeman

GabrielFreeman
3 days ago#1
Several days ago I created this thread, which is a clearly labeled and spoiler-filled review of The Last of Us 2:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/202466-the-last-of-us-part-ii/78799679

In some of the responses I was asked if I would be submitting the review to GameFAQS for the review section. One person even asked why I posted the review at all on the boards, I should have just submitted it for the review section. So my next step was to do exactly that.

Problem is, my review was rejected on the basis of spoilers, despite my title literally saying "Full of Spoilers!" and then the top of my actual review beginning with another BOLD spoiler warning. Still, if those are the rules at GameFAQS, I accept that, of course! I even said in the other thread:

I tried (to submit it), but it was rejected today for spoilers. Even though I labeled it carefully, both in the title and then bold at the top of the review. Can’t really be fixed since the “review” is largely an examination of the themes, characters, and overall narrative in the game. I did it more as an appreciation, perhaps an aid in understanding Naughty Dog’s choices, at least my view of them, sort of like the essays that come with a Criterion Blu-ray. But I guess those qualities aren’t allowed in reviews here, and that’s fine. It’s their website, their rules, not mine.

That was the end of it I thought. I had no problem with it. Until today when I saw that another review was approved that has as many spoilers as mine did, WITHOUT the warnings. I'm not trying to cause a ruckus here, but seriously...the logic of the rejection no longer makes sense. Check out ShayTanael's review titled "A Masterpiece in Storytelling". It's a great review, I appreciate its inclusion and enjoyed the writer's thoughts on the game, but it is absolutely loaded with spoilers. Period. That creates a double standard. Mine was rejected for a the specific reason of "spoilers" and his was accepted despite having just as many spoilers and no spoiler warning...

User Info: Mookiethebold

Mookiethebold
3 days ago#2
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000097-gamefaqs-contributors-reviews

You can ask the folks on the Review Contributors board for advice about how you can change your review to make it acceptable.
forever hurtling towards andromeda

GabrielFreeman
3 days ago#3
Mookiethebold posted...
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000097-gamefaqs-contributors-reviews

You can ask the folks on the Review Contributors board for advice about how you can change your review to make it acceptable.

Thanks for the link. I'll post over there too. However, I already know what is wrong with my review. Spoilers. That's what they told me, but they allowed someone else to post a Last of Us 2 review with just as many spoilers. That's the issue. I don't really care that my review isn't accepted for the Review section, it's the double standard that bugs me. My review and ShayTanael's review should both be allowed...or both not allowed.
(edited 3 days ago)

Mookiethebold
3 days ago#4
GabrielFreeman posted...
I already know what is wrong with my review. Spoilers.

Yes, but what I mean is, maybe the people there can help you trim the spoilers or word them differently or something to help you get it posted. If you'd rather not, that's fine, I just wanted to make you aware of the board in case you'd like to try.
forever hurtling towards andromeda

GabrielFreeman
3 days ago#5
Mookiethebold posted...
Yes, but what I mean is, maybe the people there can help you trim the spoilers or word them differently or something to help you get it posted. If you'd rather not, that's fine, I just wanted to make you aware of the board in case you'd like to try.

I genuinely appreciate the advice, I wasn’t being sarcastic. Unfortunately, my review can not be cleansed of spoilers. They are inextricably linked to it, in the same way as the other review they did allow.

Like I said, my review is “largely an examination of the themes, characters, and overall narrative in the game. I did it more as an appreciation, perhaps an aid in understanding Naughty Dog’s choices, at least my view of them, sort of like the essays that come with a Criterion Blu-ray.”

Technically, if reviews here can’t have spoilers, then mine should not be allowed on the review page. But neither should the other one. It’s full of the same spoilers and no spoiler warning, but got accepted. It’s the principle of it. My issue is that it is two-faced of them to decline my review due to spoilers while accepting another review with the same spoilers. Rules should apply to everyone equally, no?

User Info: BurningVigor

BurningVigor
3 days ago#6
Gamefaqs rules are never applied equally because moderators base decisions on feeling than logic for the most part.

GabrielFreeman
3 days ago#7
BurningVigor posted...
Gamefaqs rules are never applied equally because moderators base decisions on feeling than logic for the most part.

Sad but true, apparently. There should really be some objective standard. I bet if I were to resubmit my review exactly the same without the spoiler warning, a different moderator would pass it right on through. And that’s sort of pitiful... Haha.

Mookiethebold
1 day ago#8
FYI, moderators have nothing to do with content submissions, only admins do. SBAllen does the majority of it (FAQs, reviews, cheats, top ten lists, etc.) and Zoopsoul handles stuff like data and credits.
wake up
(edited 1 day ago)

GabrielFreeman
1 day ago#9
Mookiethebold posted...
FYI, moderators have nothing to do with content submissions, only admins do. SBAllen does the majority of it (FAQs, reviews, cheats, top ten lists, etc.) and Zoopsoul handles stuff like data and credits.

Well, if the same guy approved ShayTanael's review while rejecting mine, I would be shocked. There may have been something else influencing his mind between the time he read mine and then the other. I mean seriously, if it was the very same person, how does he reject my review for spoilers and then approve another review with the very same spoilers. That's the mystery I suppose, but it really takes away from the credibility of GameFAQS if you ask me. It's discrimination of a sort. Look, anyone who cares at all to see the proof can still read my review (link above) and read ShayTanael's review in the Review section. It's blatant.
(edited 1 day ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Double Standard? My Review Rejected for Spoilers, but Another was Accepted??
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A