• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Whether Joel knew or not - 0% chance Fireflies could make a cure
(message deleted)

User Info: angolmoa

angolmoa
1 week ago#12
They did make a huge gamble on ellie's immunity,think an cure or an vaccie could been made.ofcourse they need a lot of time on research it.and someone destroyed that chance.
Love video game much as life it self=)

User Info: FenrirsBlade

FenrirsBlade
1 week ago#13
That isn't necessarily at retcon at all. The finding of a cure simply might or might not have worked. There was a chance for both. And even if left ambigious one or the other simply HAD to be true.

User Info: Busard

Busard
1 week ago#14
Flochaos posted...
Wait a second... They state that blood cultures grows fungi ? Doesn't that confirm anybody injesting Ellie's blood would become infected ?
Well, I see two possibilities here:
1) Ellie's blood cordyceps is the contagious bad kind and thus Ellie is contagious which means that her not being contagious in TLOU2 is a retcon.
2) Ellie's blood cordyceps is the mutated good kind that the good doctor wants to extract from her brain, in which case, there was absolutely no reason to kill her and they could just take some blood and try to make their vaccine out of it.

Any way you look at it, the story is a mess.

User Info: Xent3ko

Xent3ko
1 week ago#15
Them killing her to get a "cure" was ridiculous pseudoscience that we're just supposed to ignore because it clearly makes Joel in the right, and the Fireflies and Abby in the wrong.

User Info: Super_Tramp

Super_Tramp
1 week ago#16
ssjmatthew posted...
I agree, it was always better not knowing if Joel was bulls***ting about their being others like her.

Wait.. what? I feel like half the people here didn't even play the first game. It was 100% confirmed that (as far as Marlene & anyone connected to Marlene knew), Ellie was a unique case. Marlene even went as far as to tell Joel that Ellie was special and that her death, while unfortunate, would help to create a vaccination/preventative drug. This all happened in the first game.

A cure was never in doubt. The only real doubt to us, the viewer, was if Ellie would accept Joel's BS explanation.
Take Your Time

User Info: YeaICampSo

YeaICampSo
1 week ago#17
ssjmatthew posted...
I agree, it was always better not knowing if Joel was bulls***ting about their being others like her.

Except this game made it obviously clear that there weren't others like her, that when they heard about her they had no idea why she'd be immune, and when the doctor was discussing with Marlene about the procedure he said he did find out why she's immune and that they needed samples of it in order to make the cure possible which would cause Ellie's death. It's how he eventually convinced Marlene, though he did seem very troubled about if he'd do it if it were his own daughter.
Xbox One X (Yeah I Camp So) PS4 Pro (YeaICampSo) Nintendo Switch (YeahICampSo) PC (https://valid.x86.fr/j886x5) gamer

User Info: Mr_Grumbles

Mr_Grumbles
1 week ago#18
Super_Tramp posted...
Wait.. what? I feel like half the people here didn't even play the first game. It was 100% confirmed that (as far as Marlene & anyone connected to Marlene knew), Ellie was a unique case. Marlene even went as far as to tell Joel that Ellie was special and that her death, while unfortunate, would help to create a vaccination/preventative drug. This all happened in the first game.

A cure was never in doubt. The only real doubt to us, the viewer, was if Ellie would accept Joel's BS explanation.

Firstly no, there would be no cure. Thats been done to death and is backed by ACTUAL science and not the ramblings of a cultist with a saviour complex or the retconning of a narcissist. (inb4 "iTs GoT zOmBiEs ItS nOt ThE rEaL wOrLd")

Secondly people are referring to a recording that says they've cut up people resistant to the cordyceps (and gotten nowhere) and conflating "resistant" with "immune".

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
1 week ago#19
Super_Tramp posted...

Which has problems, would the cure actually work on everyone? Do they have the means to reproduce it? Would theu be nice enough to give the cure to everyone? Do they even have the technology in tbis terrible setting to even make a cure? The simplicity of just leaving it at "yeah a cure could have been made" and not pointing out the details after don't help. We already have more than enough evidence that the Fireflies suck ass.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: RE2/RE3=Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=Doom>T7>Doom Eternal

User Info: Super_Tramp

Super_Tramp
1 week ago#20
Mr_Grumbles posted...
Secondly people are referring to a recording that says they've cut up people resistant to the cordyceps

I missed this. Was this in the first game or second? I haven't found all the documents/letters from the second game yet. And I don't remember all the recordings from the first game. Can you link me, please?

Robin_Mask posted...

Do they even have the technology in tbis terrible setting to even make a cure? The simplicity of just leaving it at "yeah a cure could have been made" and not pointing out the details after don't help. We already have more than enough evidence that the Fireflies suck ass.

I am not a doctor nor a scientist but I take it on faith that the game isn't trying to pull the rug out from under us and that they had the personnel and technology handy to complete their goals. I'm not saying the reasonings are perfect, I'm just saying I'm going to follow the storyline and interpret the conversations the best I can.

Saying that, I think that the fireflies had the knowledge and equipment necessary to complete their task. They believed it, the game wants you to believe it, therefore I'm going to believe it.

So.... baaaaaah. :)
Take Your Time
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Whether Joel knew or not - 0% chance Fireflies could make a cure
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A