• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Whether Joel knew or not - 0% chance Fireflies could make a cure

User Info: lovemachine

lovemachine
1 week ago#1
I keep seeing this bs getting repeated, in other threads people saying "The cure was 100%!"

https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Surgeon%27s_Recorder

The most recent recording is usually quoted for breakthroughs in humanity, but really the recording begins: "The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain."

If this isn't clear to you, they are 0% of the way to making a cure. There are tons of diseases we understand immunity for, genetic factors, rare conditions etc. What if the cure requires insane amounts of an unfindable element? What if it takes millions of iterations to get right, like cures for our modern diseases? Understanding immunity is literally step 0 of 100,000 to infinite steps in creating a cure. It's not just some miracle juice they can pull out of her brain and give to everyone and cure them, they have to understand it, recreate the conditions in a lab, repeat it, make it in mass.

Simply put, fireflies were no closer to a cure than me chopping up two brains and see "YUP this ones different!"

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
1 week ago#2
Except for the confirmation that a cure would have happened... Which is just a bulls*** way of guilt tripping players.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: RE2/RE3=Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=Doom>T7>Doom Eternal

lovemachine
1 week ago#3
Robin_Mask posted...
Except for the confirmation that a cure would have happened... Which is just a bulls*** way of guilt tripping players.

what's that, go ahead and highlight that for me please

User Info: FBI9111

FBI9111
1 week ago#4
Even if they did make a cure natural selection already wiped most of humanity out. You aren’t going to fix everything when the spores still exist. Clickers and Bloaters and infected dominate most of the world. Cities were destroyed and uninhabitable and overrun with cannibal human beings etc. The world was simply better off at that point just trying to survive with what they had. My thought would be yeah even if they could make a cure...who cares?
You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray. - Euron Greyjoy

lovemachine
1 week ago#5
FBI9111 posted...
Even if they did make a cure natural selection already wiped most of humanity out. You aren’t going to fix everything when the spores still exist. Clickers and Bloaters and many territories controlled by infected are overrun. Cities were destroyed and uninhabitable and overrun with cannibal human beings etc. The world was simply better off at that point just trying to survive with what they had. My thought would be yeah even if they could make a cure...who cares?

That's debatable

What isn't is that they were 0% of the way to a cure so these moral quandaries aren't applicable

User Info: AyumiSqueezetoy

AyumiSqueezetoy
1 week ago#6
FBI9111 posted...
My thought would be yeah even if they could make a cure...who cares?

Well, it would still improve their survivability, and if you could get it far enough, you could stem the creation of new infected.

I'm not debating the TC's original point, but a cure/vaccine would still be useful.
Is Squid not entitled to the ink of his brow?
Team Futaba!!

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
1 week ago#7
lovemachine posted...
what's that, go ahead and highlight that for me please
Druckman tweeted that a cure would have happened lol. Of course, it's just a bulls*** excuse and nothing else. Ruins the ambiguity of the ending.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
Top games this gen: RE2/RE3=Witcher 3=RDR2=GOW=Doom>T7>Doom Eternal

lovemachine
1 week ago#8
Robin_Mask posted...
Druckman tweeted that a cure would have happened lol. Of course, it's just a bulls*** excuse and nothing else. Ruins the ambiguity of the ending.

OOF is this real?

That is actually hilarious. At this point he has ret-conned so hard the work of the original writers has been harmed. Truly a master class.

User Info: ssjmatthew

ssjmatthew
1 week ago#9
Robin_Mask posted...
I agree, it was always better not knowing if Joel was bulls***ting about their being others like her.
If a girl sleeps with a bunch of guys she's a slut, but if a guy does the exact same thing.........he's gay, definitely gay.

User Info: Flochaos

Flochaos
1 week ago#10
Wait a second... They state that blood cultures grows fungi ? Doesn't that confirm anybody injesting Ellie's blood would become infected ? What about Abby in the ending ? No way she didn't injest Ellie's blood when she bit her fingers off.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Whether Joel knew or not - 0% chance Fireflies could make a cure
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A