• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Abby's revenge narrative makes no sense in a post-apocalyptic world *spoilers*

User Info: PizzaPop

PizzaPop
6 days ago#1
Why would anybody waste valuable resources going on a dangerous journey all for the sake of revenge? Ellie in TLOU1 mentioned to Joel how he had "plenty of food in his time" which of course implies that there is widespread famine in their current time. Wouldn't people be focusing on survival above all else?

Even if they did have extra resources lying around, why would they risk their lives going up against bandits, dangerous cults and the infected all strewn across the country? They don't even know where Joel is and if he's still alive. On top of that plenty of people have already died during the outbreak. Are they going to all go on a revenge journey every time somebody they know gets killed by a bandit, which would be often in the world they're living in?

25+ years of gaming taught me one important life lesson. You normally have to create an alt to defend No Man's Sky.

User Info: chrisat928

chrisat928
6 days ago#2
Joel killed her father, a doctor. Doctors, regardless of area of expertise are very important. Her father was training several Fireflies in medicine as well. Killing one doctor would have a cascading affect and could ruin entire communities.
And could’ve cured the infection...
Is Squid not entitled to the ink of his brow?
Team Futaba!!

User Info: Lukas455555

Lukas455555
6 days ago#4
It's almost as if revenge clouded your mind and made you crave for it. who knows right
We are born of the memes, made men by the memes, undone by the memes. Fear the old memes.
- Master Willem. Memesborne

User Info: Siobhanwhiskey

Siobhanwhiskey
6 days ago#5
In the apocalypse if someone murders TC's wife/husband/whatever loved one is all cool cuz he's got taters to grow for the fall harvest

User Info: Mythgar

Mythgar
6 days ago#6
I actually think the harder part for me to believe is that she still had so much pent up anger that she would travel across the country, risking herself and all her friends to brutally murder a man she's never met over something that happened 4-5 years ago.

Anger dwindles with time, particularly if you've never even seen this person you're after, nor did you directly witness their crime. This narrative makes it feel like what Joel did just happened, and Abby hasn't grown or accepted it whatsoever since then, which is very difficult for me to believe.

User Info: PizzaPop

PizzaPop
6 days ago#7
chrisat928 posted...
Joel killed her father, a doctor. Doctors, regardless of area of expertise are very important. Her father was training several Fireflies in medicine as well. Killing one doctor would have a cascading affect and could ruin entire communities.

Wouldn't that give them more reason NOT to risk their lives for revenge?
25+ years of gaming taught me one important life lesson. You normally have to create an alt to defend No Man's Sky.

User Info: game_man1

game_man1
6 days ago#8
Mythgar posted...
I actually think the harder part for me to believe is that she still had so much pent up anger that she would travel across the country, risking herself and all her friends to brutally murder a man she's never met over something that happened 4-5 years ago.

Anger dwindles with time, particularly if you've never even seen this person you're after, nor did you directly witness their crime. This narrative makes it feel like what Joel did just happened, and Abby hasn't grown or accepted it whatsoever since then, which is very difficult for me to believe.

Not if it's the only thing you focus on. The game makes it clear that Abby's biggest problem was her inability to let things go and it was same issue Ellie and Tommy had.

User Info: Mythgar

Mythgar
6 days ago#9
game_man1 posted...
Not if it's the only thing you focus on. The game makes it clear that Abby's biggest problem was her inability to let things go and it was same issue Ellie and Tommy had.
But at the same time I'm expected to believe that Abby is so compassionate that she would completely abandon her group she's been a part of for the past 4 years after she meets two kids in need and gets to know them for 1 day. I just have a very hard time swallowing her character arc, she feels all over the place to me and not in a realistic fashion, but that's just my 2 cents.

User Info: C Redfield

C Redfield
6 days ago#10
Nothing about Abby makes sense. People are killed going to the supermarket in this world. Pretty sure the Washington whatever would have problems with her eating all the protein to keep her shape.
Welcome to Gamestop. Remember use small words slowly we're f'n idiots.
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Abby's revenge narrative makes no sense in a post-apocalyptic world *spoilers*
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A