• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Why is no one giving Ellie credit for her revenge quest? (ending spoilers)

User Info: Aeneiden86

Aeneiden86
1 week ago#21
Yuji Kaido posted...
That was pretty much the take I got as well. Should have been called TLoU: Anti-Joel

Yeah and now they're surprised people hate the game. BIG SHOCK.

User Info: WingZero0782

WingZero0782
1 week ago#22
HGunSlingerX posted...
they betrayed ellie in favor of abby in this game. very unfortunate.

Youtubers/Streamers are Cancer to the Gaming Community and need to be stopped!!!

User Info: Xavierscribbles

Xavierscribbles
1 week ago#23
jsquad4136 posted...
And all it took for Ellie to “learn” that was to kill countless other people. What an epiphany. >.<

she only kills people who are trying to kill her

User Info: LegoTechnic

LegoTechnic
1 week ago#24
Sorugue posted...
Fully agree, the whole story is about the butterfly effect and the cost of revenge. This whole thing started with Joel killing what was once perceived as an insignificant NPC. That one selfish act (as a father myself id have done the same thing) set in motion a chain of events that not only resulted in his death but the deaths of loads of people, and put two people on opposite ends on a quest for revenge that both were justified for undertaking.

Ellies problem is that she became the villian of her own story, Abby beat her, could have killed her and Dina but let them go. She had everything, but that hunger for revenge that manifested itself into PTSD wouldn't let her walk away. I can't say I'm mad at her for going after Abby again as Ellie was suffering internally. However she had it all and made the choice to walk away for a fight only she and Tommy even cared about anymore. As much as I wanted Abby dead in the beginning, I'm glad Ellie stopped short finally realizing that killing her would fix nothing.
In the end it was a story Druckmann wanted to tell, but the question is whether or not the fans agree that it was beneficial to be told. Sometimes it's better to leave fiction as open-ended.
Bane even prayed for Dick when he became Batman. -- Frostbite_Zero

User Info: _Shuyin_

_Shuyin_
1 week ago#25
The cycle would've been broken with Abby dead in the water. Ellie lost everything but Abby is happy with the fireflies now. Oh Joy! I'm.Sure.Glad.Abby.Got.A.Happy.Ending. It would've been awful if she, I dunno, got what she deserved and what the vast majority of fans wanted. But to hell with Ellie and Joel, right? We have fan favourite Abby now! Hooray!

Maybe, just maybe, Part 3 will have Abby as the protagonist. I'm sure people will run to the stores for that game.
"At times we must purge things from this world because they should not exist. Even if it means losing someone that you love."
~Deadly Premonition

User Info: superman 2000

superman 2000
1 week ago#26
Sorugue posted...
Fully agree, the whole story is about the butterfly effect and the cost of revenge. This whole thing started with Joel killing what was once perceived as an insignificant NPC. That one selfish act (as a father myself id have done the same thing) set in motion a chain of events that not only resulted in his death but the deaths of loads of people, and put two people on opposite ends on a quest for revenge that both were justified for undertaking.

Ellies problem is that she became the villian of her own story, Abby beat her, could have killed her and Dina but let them go. She had everything, but that hunger for revenge that manifested itself into PTSD wouldn't let her walk away. I can't say I'm mad at her for going after Abby again as Ellie was suffering internally. However she had it all and made the choice to walk away for a fight only she and Tommy even cared about anymore. As much as I wanted Abby dead in the beginning, I'm glad Ellie stopped short finally realizing that killing her would fix nothing.

Best take I've seen on the matter. I think this is exactly what the writers were trying to convey. Joel and Ellie aren't exempt from retribution for their past actions just because we care about them. I think this game wanted us to recognize our own biases, and learn not to make excuses for them.
I don't hold grudges. Let's vehemently argue today and casually have a beer together tomorrow.

User Info: WingZero0782

WingZero0782
1 week ago#27
_Shuyin_ posted...
The cycle would've been broken with Abby dead in the water. Ellie lost everything but Abby is happy with the fireflies now. Oh Joy! I'm.Sure.Glad.Abby.Got.A.Happy.Ending. It would've been awful if she, I dunno, got what she deserved and what the vast majority of fans wanted. But to hell with Ellie and Joel, right? We have fan favourite Abby now! Hooray!

Maybe, just maybe, Part 3 will have Abby as the protagonist. I'm sure people will run to the stores for that game.

I won't.

I bet there would be an Abby Edition that comes with a statue of the grotesque woman.
Youtubers/Streamers are Cancer to the Gaming Community and need to be stopped!!!

User Info: Sorugue

Sorugue
1 week ago#28
superman 2000 posted...
Best take I've seen on the matter. I think this is exactly what the writers were trying to convey. Joel and Ellie aren't exempt from retribution for their past actions just because we care about them. I think this game wanted us to recognize our own biases, and learn not to make excuses for them.

Again I agree the reality is this isn't uncharted, where all the heros (including sully who with each sequel I expected to die) survive in the end no matter the danger and only the main villains die. In this game there are no heros, and frankly no winners, Tommy is a broken man who lost his eye, mobility and his wife over his obsession, Ellie lost joel, her friends, the life she had with Dina and Abby lost everyone that she cared about save for lev (whos to even say they survive, they were practically starved to death and sailing off to unknown territories). Its a tale of people and their lives in the post apocalyptic world and what the weight of a single act can bring. Frankly I am glad Drukmen went with this direction as opposed to the classic revenge story against villains with over rehearsed speeches.
Currently playing: Pokemon Shield, SW: Jedi Fallen order, Trails of Cold Steel 2, MHW: Iceborne, Sims 4, Greed Fall, Outerworlds, Blands 3
  1. Boards
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Why is no one giving Ellie credit for her revenge quest? (ending spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A