• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Brandon Sanderson reads like YA
LNSS 2 months ago#1
Anyone else noticed? Huge focus on magic systems and fight scenes over stuff like characters, it almost feels like those LN anime too.
LNSS
xue1 2 months ago#2
people say that about Brandon Sanderson often
codey 2 months ago#3
He isn't a YA author?
*runs out of topic naked*
Bako Ikporamee 2 months ago#4
l mean, he has multiple YA series...
Official "Bako Ikporamee" of GameFAQs
https://www.leetshoe.com | https://twitter.com/leetshoedotcom
Ilishe 2 months ago#5
It's true
~Phoenix Nine~
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~
DarkSymbiote 2 months ago#6
It's one of the reasons I am afraid to read his books.
Get back dislikes on YouTube.
https://www.returnyoutubedislike.com/
Heartfang 2 months ago#7
I don't even know what young adult is even supposed to be anymore. I've even heard people try to say Wheel of Time is young adult.

But I definitely don't think Sanderson is comparable to what I know is classified as young adult like the Hunger Games or Divergent, which have a lot more in common with light novels.
The internet was a mistake
M1Astray 2 months ago#8
Sanderson's books put the "epic" in "epic fantasy". That means the "epic" elements such as big scale fantastical plots involving crazy magic are going to be central to the story. Methinks people have flat out forgotten, due to the influx of grimdark stuff like ASoIaF, what epic fantasy looks like. Massive scale plots in fantastical worlds with larger-than-life characters. Oh, and a big adventure ofc.

That does not however make a book "Young Adult". Nor does Sanderson's choice to avoid extremely adult subjects in his novels make them Young Adult.

Most "young adults" would struggle with most of the Cosmere. Yes, they have easy-to-grasp prose and avoid the more dark adult themes found in other adult fantasy. However they also spend a very large portion of their considerably-above-average page counts on subjects such as politics, world building, and character building. Most teenagers who aren't already massive genre nerds would likely be bored to tears by the Cosmere.

All it does do is make Sanderson's novels easy to read and accessible to all ages. However accessibility =/= main intended audience. To flip the script around Animorphs had some insanely dark and f***ed up s*** go in in that series, yet not once would anybody even consider saying it's adult sci-fi.
Currently playing: Soul Calibur 6
codey 2 months ago#9
M1Astray posted...
Sanderson's books put the "epic" in "epic fantasy". That means the "epic" elements such as big scale fantastical plots involving crazy magic are going to be central to the story. Methinks people have flat out forgotten, due to the influx of grimdark stuff like ASoIaF, what epic fantasy looks like. Massive scale plots in fantastical worlds with larger-than-life characters. Oh, and a big adventure ofc.

That does not however make a book "Young Adult". Nor does Sanderson's choice to avoid extremely adult subjects in his novels make them Young Adult.

Most "young adults" would struggle with most of the Cosmere. Yes, they have easy-to-grasp prose and avoid the more dark adult themes found in other adult fantasy. However they also spend a very large portion of their considerably-above-average page counts on subjects such as politics, world building, and character building. Most teenagers who aren't already massive genre nerds would likely be bored to tears by the Cosmere.

All it does do is make Sanderson's novels easy to read and accessible to all ages. However accessibility =/= main intended audience. To flip the script around Animorphs had some insanely dark and f***ed up s*** go in in that series, yet not once would anybody even consider saying it's adult sci-fi.

Sanderson has specifically written YA novels, though, and I would argue that his prose, even outside of those, is at the level of most popular YA. I wouldn't classify him as strictly a YA author, but I would say that if you gave me a passage of his and a popular YA author's writing and told me they were the same person, I would believe you.
*runs out of topic naked*
UnrivaledKoopa 2 months ago#10
He doesn’t approach his prose any differently between his YA and adult marketed books. The YA books are mostly different because of their faster pacing, single viewpoint, and coming of age being a bigger theme.

I never wanted to be a serial killer, anyway.
I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK! - Dexter Morgan
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Brandon Sanderson reads like YA
  • Post New Message