• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Up to book 7 of WoT and this is driving me crazy... (no spoilers)

User Info: NovaLore

NovaLore
4 weeks ago#1
Why is every single female character constantly "sniffing" at people? What does that even mean? Why don't any men sniff? He seems to be using this as an expression of annoyance, but I can't imagine all these women just sniffing left and right at everybody as if it's normal.

User Info: galaticsoldier

galaticsoldier
4 weeks ago#2
There’s an interview with Sanderson where this is discussed, and the answer is at least interesting, whether or not you find it satisfying.

So the gist is: Due to men going crazy and women having all the magic power, the gender that get’s the assumption if default correctness is women. Problem is, Jordan isn’t sure how to write that out without it being super obvious. The result is that he makes it so it’s shown through, uh, these power displays. Still too obvious imo, but, that’s at least the intention. Do with it what you will.
Galactic you are one lucky ass mother****er -BIOCLIPPER

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
4 weeks ago#3
I'm always surprised that people don't know what sniffing is. You've actually seen it in countless forms of media before I'm sure. It's short inhalation of breath usually with a turn of the head. It's a way to show contempt or derision. Basically like going "Hmph".
The internet was a mistake

User Info: pycho316

pycho316
4 weeks ago#4
Heartfang posted...
Basically like going "Hmph".

This is how I've interpreted it too and it's the only way it makes sense the way it's being used in the book. With that said, I'm only up to book 5 in the series myself, and I will honestly say, it wasn't until book 5 that I realized that must be how it's supposed to be interpreted.

I seriously thought the women were sniffing loudly each time, which made no sense to me but I didn't dwell on it too long. I was wondering how the women didn't permanently damage their nasal passages with such loud sniffing prior to that.
Twitter was a mistake - CanCanSam
I'll say it again, social media is a cancer to society - Drumiester

User Info: darklao

darklao
4 weeks ago#5
Crazy magic, weird monsters, reincarnation, literally the Devil, weird-ass spanking scenes, and like, sniffing is the thing that's abnormal.

User Info: red255

red255
3 weeks ago#6
Jordan like many authors can only write one female character (his wife)

It wasn't until Sanderson took over that the women got a wider degree of individuality
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: NovaLore

NovaLore
3 weeks ago#7
Heartfang posted...
I'm always surprised that people don't know what sniffing is. You've actually seen it in countless forms of media before I'm sure. It's short inhalation of breath usually with a turn of the head. It's a way to show contempt or derision. Basically like going "Hmph".

I suppose this does ring a bell somewhat when you put it that way. It's still a VERY uncommon thing to do, yet he has women -and only women- doing it constantly. Even the way you describe it I imagine it including an eye roll or something as well.

Him only writing versions of his wife for every female character makes sense, too. They really are all so similar even without this weird expression popping up all the time.

User Info: Heartfang

Heartfang
2 weeks ago#8
red255 posted...

It wasn't until Sanderson took over that the women got a wider degree of individuality

This is laughably innaccurate and taken from a clear joke response in an interview. Despite the fact that anyone reading the series knows that there are a wide array of diverse female characters in the wheel of time.

I've met Harriet in person several times myself and have to laugh whenever someone mentions this.
The internet was a mistake

User Info: Metal_Bug

Metal_Bug
2 weeks ago#9
darklao posted...
Crazy magic, weird monsters, reincarnation, literally the Devil, weird-ass spanking scenes, and like, sniffing is the thing that's abnormal.
It's a fantasy story.

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
2 weeks ago#10
red255 posted...

Don't make a joke about Mormons and polygamy.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Up to book 7 of WoT and this is driving me crazy... (no spoilers)
  • Post New Message