• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Old Man's War *Spoilers*

User Info: bfslick50

bfslick50
4 months ago#1
I just finished Old Man's War. I liked it a lot.

I have a question about the Ghost Brigades for anyone that has read the rest of the series. Do the later books get into how they are made? Do they just put an artificial intelligence in a blank body? And if they have the ability to do that then why do they bother keep getting new recruits from Earth? Why not just go full clone army?
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama

User Info: pycho316

pycho316
4 months ago#2
The second book focuses heavily on the Ghost Brigades. It's a great book, you should check it out if you enjoyed the first book.
Twitter was a mistake - CanCanSam
I'll say it again, social media is a cancer to society - Drumiester

User Info: darklao

darklao
4 months ago#3
Yeah, keep going.

User Info: sethcard

sethcard
3 months ago#4
Do the later books get into how they are made?
Yes.
Do they just put an artificial intelligence in a blank body?
No.
And if they have the ability to do that then why do they bother keep getting new recruits from Earth?
Working with in existing political structures.
Why not just go full clone army?
Another power had a powerful clone army wiped out by an engineered disease that targeted their lack of genetic diversity. Also other issues the colonial union has with the ghost brigades.

The whole engineered disease really doesn't hold up. If they could engineer a disease like that there isn't enough genetic difference between people to prevent the same being done to us. that can be hand waved by saying it is hard to make and the colonial union was stated to have learned not to mess with that race, but it still creates an issue that could have been handled better.
"I lost him thanks to your freezing up like a bedwetter in winter."
Dan VS

bfslick50
3 months ago#5
Thanks. I just picked up the second book, look forward to getting into it.
"Something's wrong! Murder isn't working and that's all we're good at." ~Futurama

bfslick50
3 months ago#6
Finished 2nd book, it did answer all my questions. Great read.

Podcast I follow recommended this book. They didn’t like 3rd or 4th and haven’t commented on 5th. Any recommendations here?

User Info: pycho316

pycho316
3 months ago#7
bfslick50 posted...
They didn’t like 3rd or 4th and haven’t commented on 5th. Any recommendations here?

I don't know what they didn't like about the 3rd or 4th book but I've enjoyed everything released in the series so far so I'd recommend all of it.

Book 3 continues where books 1 and 2 left off, told from the POV of John Perry again and continues the over-arcing plot that's been going on in the series. Book 4, I could see the argument from some why they might not like it, because it's just the events of Book 3 told from a different character's POV. I enjoyed it and it does answer a few questions that are unanswered in book 3 and I think it does enough to justify its existence, but I could see why others might not like it.

Book 5 is a whole new character altogether, Harry Wilson, one of the other "old farts" from John Perry's recruit class. I think the book is great fun. Book 6 is good too.

I'd say just keep reading until you stop liking what you read and then stop.
Twitter was a mistake - CanCanSam
I'll say it again, social media is a cancer to society - Drumiester
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Old Man's War *Spoilers*
  • Topic Archived