You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. George RR Martin expects The Winds of Winter to be released by August 2020.

User Info: Ic3Bullet

Ic3Bullet
2 months ago#1
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/books/1130834/Game-of-Thrones-George-RR-Martin-Winds-of-Winter-release-date-book-six-hbo-tv-show-ending

Ic3Bullet
2 months ago#2
Here is a brief paraphrasing of the important bit of the article:

George R. R. Martin has been asked to be master of ceremonies of an event called CoNZealand in NZ, July 29 to August 2, 2020. He plans to show up to the event with the book in hand.

User Info: itcheyness

itcheyness
2 months ago#3
I bet GRRM has the rest of the books actually totally written.

He was just waiting for the series to end before he put them out so he could see what fan reaction was to what the showrunners did and he would have the chance to tweak the books a bit
Green Bay Packers 6-9-1
Seattle Sounders 14-9-11 53pts

Ic3Bullet
2 months ago#4
itcheyness posted...

He was just waiting for the series to end before he put them out so he could see what fan reaction was to what the showrunners did and he would have the chance to tweak the books a bit

No. He's addressed this recently and said he's bewildered that it needs to be said. He confirmed in the same interview/blogpost/whatever that he is not finished with Winds yet, and won't be getting started on Dream until Winds is complete.

User Info: Czarcasm

Czarcasm
2 months ago#5
Martin won't be getting started on Dream until the novel after The Winds of Winter is finished.

I suspect we'll get A Time for Wolves after all, but it will be the seventh book in an eight book series.

I just don't see any way for Martin to satisfactorily wrap up this story in just two more books.
#FeelTheBern

User Info: ScazarMeltex

ScazarMeltex
2 months ago#6
itcheyness posted...

Contracts with publishers don't work that way.
"If you wish to converse with me define your terms"
Voltaire

User Info: Flaming_Fire619

Flaming_Fire619
2 months ago#7
He can show up with the Book in hand and still not be completely done. I'd like to believe it is, but I won't believe it until it actually shows up. And that still means at least a year before that, and it's possible another 6 months after that.

ScazarMeltex posted...
itcheyness posted...

Contracts with publishers don't work that way.

Beyond this, it makes zero sense. This isn't a simple matter of "tweaking a bit". To completely change the ending of the series would probably involve major rewrites to arcs. Which would basically break down to reworking the entire plot line for certain characters.

Chances are he's not done, and while I want to believe he'll have Winds in 2020..he said Dance with Dragons would be out a year after a Feast For Crows, and we saw how that happened.
Not changing until Shelton Benjamin wins the WHC Started: Jan. 10. 2009
http://myanimelist.net/profile/fantheflames

User Info: Stone_Magnet

Stone_Magnet
1 month ago#8
Hasn't he said before that "the book is coming, probably next year" like on more than one occasion?

User Info: VincentVega

VincentVega
1 month ago#9
Meh. Wake me up when A Dream of Spring comes out. I'm not going to reread the series just to read Winds and then wait another 10 years to do it all again.
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

User Info: Enderknight17

Enderknight17
1 month ago#10
Just because he's finished with the manuscript doesn't mean the "book" is done. Editing and publishing take time. Plus printing and getting the books distributed. But even so... having the manuscript completed would be amazing.
RIP BigAirDay aka Bill.
Not changing this signature until the Carolina Panthers win the Super Bowl. Signature started 10/30/11
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. George RR Martin expects The Winds of Winter to be released by August 2020.