You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. I need to rant about Chasm City *spoilers*

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#1
I hated Revelation Space because its characters were terrible and the dialog was awful. Chasm City did a much better job with its characters and dialog, and I thought the setting was much more interesting. But I absolutely cannot accept that Reynolds gave another s***ty character an undeserved happy ending. Dan and Calvin Sylveste were unlikable pricks, but Sky Haussman was evil on a scale that I honestly haven't seen in a character in recent memory. Even Saddeas from Stormlight Archives wasn't as bad as Sky.

I totally get that rich immortals are terrible and there are a number of immoral factions in the Revelation Space universe, and that's fine. We see a number of sides to Sky: his original life aboard the Flotilla as he remembers it, his life at the Reptile House as he remembers it, his life at the Reptile House viewed through the eyes of Tanner Mirabel, and the man Sky is now through his actions in Chasm City. And every last one of those sides is terrible, with no mitigating circumstances or excuses. The book ends in such a way that I think Reynolds wants us to feel like Sky has grown as a person and deserves a 3rd chance at happiness. Bulls***.

I'm hooked on the series, and I feel like Reynolds grew as a writer after the first book, but I can't forgive him for the way Chasm City ended.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. I need to rant about Chasm City *spoilers*