How do you refresh when you take a long break from a series?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. How do you refresh when you take a long break from a series?

User Info: Mooogleman

Mooogleman
1 month ago#11
Is that encyclopedia a website or actual book? That sounds solid. Thank you for the suggestions. The encyclopedia sounds promising. Prob take a long time to read but a lot faster than the full books.

User Info: Arvandor

Arvandor
4 weeks ago#12
I've taken several approaches, depending on the series, and all have worked for me.

A: Reread them all. I do this with books that I love a lot, like Dresden Files. Or I'll listen to them on audiobook while working out/driving/cooking/cleaning/etc.
B: Read a synopsis for the previous books. I did this for the third Stormlight Archive book, and it worked very well. There was a lot of "Who is that again? Oh yeah!"
C: Just read on through. There's still a lot of "Who was this person again? Where are they? What were they doing?" but I can usually catch up just based on context pretty quickly.
ODMB Dot Eater
"There's THREE dimensions?! o_O WTF!!1 " -Minzoku.

Mooogleman
4 weeks ago#13
Audio book is a solid idea. Synopsis too. Just figured would have to do like 7 to get to book 8 of dresden. Like I think I'm on White Knight but it's familar as hell. However, I read the beginning like 3 times then get too busy to read and keep restarting and now it's all a blur. The first several books

The wolf pack from book three and something about a fence. Getting in somewhere? Is the only thing that pops in my head besides the fair god mother? Dresden step mom or something whatever she is and the fair queen lol.

So I really wanna get back into it but I'm so overwhelmed trying to recall.

Wheel of Time I read book four like a decade after 3 and it worked on it's own but same issue. Just get this feeling like something is off, as weird as this sounds. It's a physical sensation that something is wrong.

I assume the feeling of off from not recalling is the ocd should ask me shrink
Like, it's why when say arrow season 3 came out I reached one and 2. I did that for like every season of Smallville. Rewatch the whole show every new season. By 8 or 9 j only had to start at season 4 cuz it's imbedded in my memory the first 3 like near verbatim.

I suppose synopsis makes sense but those can take a while for longer books? Audio should work well. Just never can get into them. It seems so slow compared to reading. However I like that it makes me slow and think but then I feel I'm wasting my add meds being unproductive. Using them for normal stuff and audio as background for cooking, driving etc may work.

Sorry for long post but just musing and appreciative.

Curious if others out there have the same issues and what they do

Appreciate all the responses and suggestions. Was busy moving and now going to try them all and see what works.

Cheers.

User Info: krazychao5

krazychao5
4 weeks ago#14
Heh, I'm about to finish book 3 of Dresden and I need a break now.

Wondering what I should listen to after book 3. Maybe something by King.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/bigllama?type=posted

Mooogleman
4 weeks ago#15
It by king is one of my favs
The dark tower if you haven't... But it's best expirenced imo with prior knowledge of Kings works.

They have reading roadmaps for the dark tower that are good for what to read when in between the books and such.

What have you read by king?

User Info: Jacehan

Jacehan
4 weeks ago#16
I tend to go for an "as needed" review - if I am reading the next book in the series and it mentions a character/place/event that I don't remember, I then go look up what that was, go "oh yeah," then go back to reading.
"To truly live, one must first be born." ~ Evan [aX]
Paper Mario Social:
The Safe Haven of GameFAQs. (Board 2000083)

User Info: krazychao5

krazychao5
3 weeks ago#17
Mooogleman posted...
It by king is one of my favs
The dark tower if you haven't... But it's best expirenced imo with prior knowledge of Kings works.

They have reading roadmaps for the dark tower that are good for what to read when in between the books and such.

What have you read by king?

I've read the DT series, which was my first King that I've read, then I went through It and The Stand.

Not sure what I should do after that.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/bigllama?type=posted

Mooogleman
3 weeks ago#18
I really liked bag of bones. 11/22/63 was really good too.

I like most his work though. The Mercedes trilogy is really good and the first season of Mr Mercedes was a good watch too

Pet semetary is solid and a new movie of it coming soon.

Also cannot do wrong with his short story books.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. How do you refresh when you take a long break from a series?
  • Topic Archived