Why do the vast majority of people...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Why do the vast majority of people...

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
4 weeks ago#21
I occasionally do some writing, and when I tell people how much my current project has, I do so in word count because that's what I'm tracking, but usually go on to add, "Which is about x pages."
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: OhioState82

OhioState82
4 weeks ago#22
LOL. Word count?!

I give a syllable count. Much more accurate in terms of identifying anticipated reading length, etc.

User Info: battleblast

battleblast
4 weeks ago#23
History Question, before computers became the norm, and counting words was as easy as looking at a counter, what did people do to quantify? I'm betting the answer goes back to page count, but I'm curious.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages they can be impolite without having their skulls split.
Official Phantom Stranger of the C&GN

User Info: pycho316

pycho316
3 weeks ago#24
OhioState82 posted...
LOL. Word count?!

I give a syllable count. Much more accurate in terms of identifying anticipated reading length, etc.

Syllable count? *psh*

Get a load of this casual over here. Letter count or GTFO!
Dude, you were the "Marty Jannetty" of a tag team with Marty Jannetty in it, shut the **** up. - DizzyTechno on Al Snow

User Info: Iwantedzero

Iwantedzero
3 weeks ago#25
pycho316 posted...

Syllable count? *psh*

Get a load of this casual over here. Letter count or GTFO!

Letter count? OMG sure. If you just want to ignore all punctuation. Those quotation marks and hyphens really add a lot to the length of the overall work. Character count, including spaces and paragraph breaks, is the only true measure.
Please, fill out this form.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/feedback?type=38

User Info: zombievenom

zombievenom
3 weeks ago#26
Speaking personally for me, I can tell how long it’ll take me to read a book based on number of pages couldn’t begin to tell you with a word count. I think for the general populace saying this book has “this many words” is probably a little more off putting for the casual reader than a hardcore one as well..
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Why do the vast majority of people...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived