You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Kira's Oathbringer readthrough topic #2 (ongoing spoilers)

User Info: JE19426

JE19426
3 months ago#441
Eerieka posted...
On the other hand, I think Adolin would make a pretty cool Willshaper, so who knows. But I also think he’d make a badass normal dude with 0 powers.

The general theory is that he'll end up an Edgedancer. Maya is a Cultivationspren, those spren are the one's that Edgedancer's bond with, so it's often suspected that he'll "awaken" her, and become an Edgedancer.

User Info: Eerieka

Eerieka
3 months ago#442
JE19426 posted...
Eerieka posted...
On the other hand, I think Adolin would make a pretty cool Willshaper, so who knows. But I also think he’d make a badass normal dude with 0 powers.

The general theory is that he'll end up an Edgedancer. Maya is a Cultivationspren, those spren are the one's that Edgedancer's bond with, so it's often suspected that he'll "awaken" her, and become an Edgedancer.

Oh yeah, I mentioned that in Maya's write-up and forgot to expand my thoughts on it in Adolin's. My thoughts are that while I'm sure Sanderson could make it work somehow, I don't know enough about the deadeye "status effect" to gauge whether it's a feasible idea or not. I'd also prefer to see him as a normal guy with no powers. Or if he has to become a Radiant, I'd prefer him in any other order, but that's a matter of preference and nothing grounded in logic. I don't really want to see Adolin slipping around like Lift lol.
Account created-9/10/04. Just a normal GameFAQs user/leprechaun
Ramza: rofl. Rofel: You say my name? -Eise

JE19426
3 months ago#443
Eerieka posted...
I don't know enough about the deadeye "status effect" to gauge whether it's a feasible idea or not.

It probably is feasible. By the end of Oathbringer he was summoned her after 7 heartbeats, even though it's supposed to take 10.

JE19426
2 months ago#444
Sanderson has confirmed in this year's State of the Sanderson that each book will focus on one order, and have flashbacks to a character related to that order:

https://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2018/

The other superstructure to the series is the spotlight on the ten orders of Radiants, with each book highlighting one of them while also having a flashback sequences for a character tied to one of those orders.

Eerieka
2 months ago#445
Nice! So that confirms that then. Can't wait for my Renarin book! (I better get a Renarin book...)

I swear I will finish the ranking someday! Everyone at work is away on Christmas vacation and it has fallen to me to work all the damn time. >_<

User Info: UnrivaledKoopa

UnrivaledKoopa
2 months ago#446
Right now, the plan seems to be 4 - Eshonai & Venli, 5 - Szeth, 6 - Lift, 7 - Renarin, 8 - Ash, 9 - Taln, 10 - Jasnah

The characters involved have been steady since WoR's publication, but the order is subject to change.
I never wanted to be a serial killer, anyway.
I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK! - Dexter Morgan

Eerieka
2 months ago#447
3. Navani - I ignored her completely in book 1 and only started to appreciate her in book 2. Then by book 3, I started to see how great she really was. I feel like it’s easy to overlook character like her in fantasy books. She’s an old woman, a widow, not out swinging swords or making babies. Course that doesn’t stop her from being clever. I absolutely love every time she’s investigating something that no one else cares about, like the sewer system in Urithiru. Or when she’s designing things like Dalinar’s wristwatch. It’s nice to have someone on the team who’s into architecture/engineering. I’ve often felt that Sanderson isn’t the best at writing teenage girls (although he’s getting better), and I almost feel like Navani was his way of saying “okay, how about instead of a teenage girl… I write a middle-aged/older woman.” In doing so, he’s able to focus on her personality and interests rather than trying to stick her into the usual fantasy-girl tropes such as being a love interest or a chosen one. He doesn’t have to write a romance for her, and in fact it wouldn’t have been expected… but he does anyway, and it’s great because it’s not a typical fantasy romance. She and her new husband are both widows, both loved their previous spouses, both have other interests in life besides one another, and yet are willing to give it their all in this new marriage. Her brain and her heart are both in the right place. Also, I’m still holding out hope that she’s gonna be the second Bondsmith and/or she’ll discover that Urithiru is a giant mecha and she’ll pilot it, possibly with Dalinar as well.

2. Dalinar - This ranking is purely based on present-day Dalinar, knowing how far he’s come since his drunken a****** days. If I were ranking Dalinar-of-the-past, he’d be down in scumlord territory with Sadeas and Amaram. Oh my GOD he was such a f***ing idiot back then. Charging into battle without thinking, making his army run after the enemy without horses because “horses are too slow,” arguing with Evi, forgetting his own son exists, drinking with beggar-hobo-gods. I would never wish the sort of pain he went through on anyone, but he absolutely needed a kick in the teeth. Anyway, let’s focus on present-Dalinar. He’s great. I love watching him struggle with being a good person while also being an good leader. I don’t think he’ll be able to hold onto his same sense of morality forever, as sometimes good leaders have to make immoral choices. But this will all be a part of his journey, and all journeys have their mountains and pitfalls along the way. Dalinar’s choice to learn how to read was heartwarming. It’s great to see him say ‘f*** you’ to gender roles and improve himself in such a unique way. Usually in fantasy books, when character ‘improve themselves’ it’s something like training with weapons or magic powers. (I mean, Dalinar does that too). But learning how to read? A mental skill? I feel that’s often overlooked, and it’s a nice change of pace.

Eerieka
2 months ago#448
1. Renarin - Oh dear sweet Renarin, how I regret ignoring you all this time. If you asked me who Renarin was prior to reading Oathbringer, I would have said “uhh… Dalinar’s other son?” Hey, at least I remembered he existed, unlike his dad. >_> He was always so quiet and just… in the background. And then it hit me that he’s autistic and… SO MUCH LIKE ME. Sometimes reading about him is a little painful because it’s too real. Of course, I’m not so shallow that I would rank a character at #1 based only on relatability. He’s here because he gives a damn. He’s here because despite his social awkwardness, he’s making friends (I initially typed “he’s building bridges”, y’know, like the idiomatic expression for making friends, but uhh… that seems a little rude for the members of Bridge Four.) He’s here because he loves his dad and got him a bottle of wine even when his dad was an a******. He’s here because he loves his cousin even when that cousin was coming to knife him in the back. He’s here because he puts MAXIMUM EFFORT into everything he does, and he does a lot of stuff! He’s training with Bridge Four, he’s learning how to read, he’s trying to make sense of prophecies, he’s trying to figure out his spren. Hell, he’s f***ing CHANGING THE FUTURE that Odium once thought was set in stone. Renarin is a healer, a fighter, a thinker, and a friend all in one. If I were making an RPG party, he’d be my first choice for party member. YAYA GO RENARIN. “Like one who was born unto himself” indeed. He follows no one’s path but his own.

JE19426
2 months ago#449
Eerieka posted...
And then it hit me that he’s autistic

IIRC Sanderson had a similar realisation after writing Renarin. He apparently didn't intent for Renarin to be autistic, but realised after writing him, that he was written like that.

User Info: M1Astray

M1Astray
2 months ago#450
It's funny how most of the top tier mirrors mine, but the order is very different.

Adolin won me over during the trip in Shadesmar. His trying to keep Kaladin motivated despite the fact Kaladin is insufferable when he's depressed is the true sign of a "bro". I would like to see more of the "willing to get s*** done regardless of honor" stuff though, but there's seven more books for that. If there's any issue I have with Adolin it's that the ending of WoR got me pumped that he was going to get a big role in this one and instead he spent most of it playing second fiddle to Shallan and Kaladin. I like that Sanderson played with the expectations of "Dark Adolin", but I would've liked to see more of him, because every time he's given the spotlight he shows himself to be one of the most potentially interesting characters in the entire series.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Heroes, DBZ Dokkan Battle, YGO Duel Links, Pokemon Go, Tales of Berseria
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Kira's Oathbringer readthrough topic #2 (ongoing spoilers)