• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Few questions befoee I start a feast for crows.

User Info: Mooogleman

Mooogleman
1 year ago#1
With the show nearing completion I figured I would finally watch it and read the last 2 books since I haven't.

Does any one know what details of Robert's rebellion were in the first 3 books? I read a bit on a wiki and a lot was unheard of for me.

Curious if I just forgot or haven't reached all the information yet. I had no clue why Robert rebelled for example.

Also I know little about Ned's sister.

Will watching the first 4 seasons suffice in catch up? I read the first 3 books twice. Once last year and once asround 2000. With how huge they are and it having been a year I am worried Feast will be hard to get into.

I thought I remembered the books well but reading about Robert's rebellion makes me worry I forgot a lot.

What pertinent information is in the first 3 books but not in the show? I am at season 2 in the show, going to go up through crows.

User Info: Ilishe

Ilishe
1 year ago#2
Robert rebelled because he thought Rhaegar kidnapped his fiancee, Lyanna Stark. I suppose it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Things were actually a bit different than Robert thought. Either way, his rebellion succeeded.

That's about all you need to know, without going into spoiler territory.
~Phoenix Nine~
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~

User Info: snakes_righteye

snakes_righteye
1 year ago#3
There is ALOT of information in the books that's not in the show. The events from 15 years ago are being being revealed slowly along with the main plot. So it it's almost like there are 3 or 4 stories going on at once and each book layers a little more information.

If you don't read the first books you are really missing out. Especially the third book. It may be the best fantasy book every written.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!

Mooogleman
1 year ago#4
I read the first 2 in like 99 and then the third in around 01. I read them again last year. It's a lot of information tho.

I rather just go to crows and move forwards, I am paranoid I need to read them a third time, and my memory sucks.

Show should be brush up.

One diffrence I didn't notice until I looked it up. Joffrey ordered the bastards dead in show and cersi in books.

Doubt it would make a major diffrence if I got it confused, however.......

Mooogleman
1 year ago#5
Ilishe posted...
Robert rebelled because he thought Rhaegar kidnapped his fiancee, Lyanna Stark. I suppose it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Things were actually a bit different than Robert thought. Either way, his rebellion succeeded.

Thanks! Missed this before I replied. So the rest (a fair amount got spoiled) is upcoming.

Im on season 3 now so getting ready to read the books I missed...... and helplessly addicted to the show. I suppose one always spoils the other.

User Info: thekingoftown

thekingoftown
1 year ago#6
GL, that book is where the series starts to go downhill
I'm so glad The Cheat is not dead

User Info: LightSnake

LightSnake
1 year ago#7
@Mooogleman posted...
@Ilishe posted...

Thanks! Missed this before I replied. So the rest (a fair amount got spoiled) is upcoming.

Im on season 3 now so getting ready to read the books I missed...... and helplessly addicted to the show. I suppose one always spoils the other.

Not exactly.

It's detailed in book 2, but, what happens: Rhaegar 'abducts' Lyanna.

Lyanna and Ned's older brother Brandon furiously storms over to King's Landing and demands Rhaegar to come out and fight him. Rhaegar isn't there, but King Aerys hears this, flips out, and kills all of Brandon's friends, summons their dads and kills them, too. Brandon's father demands trial by combat...so Aerys burns him alive and executes Brandon in a particularly cruel way.

Ned and Robert are, at this point, wards at the Vale under Jon Arryn. Aerys sends an order for Jon Arryn to send him their heads. Jon, realizing what a monster Aerys is, decides to rebel againstthe crown. Ned and Robert head to call their bannermen and fight the rebellion, with Robert facing the bulk of the fighting against Tyrell forces.

Robert was certainly driven by Lyanna's abduction, but the reason the rebellion got so damn big was because of what AERYS did. There was no coming back from that.
Ring the bells that still can ring/Forget your perfect offering/There is a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in."- RIP, Leonard Cohen

User Info: MrOnionHead

MrOnionHead
1 year ago#8
snakes_righteye posted...
It may be the best fantasy book every written.

Hahaha.

In all seriousness though, glad you enjoyed it.
'being tolerant of someone doesn't instantly make them the chancellor of germany' - Fatso666

User Info: RonWeassly

RonWeassly
1 year ago#9
MrOnionHead posted...
snakes_righteye posted...
It may be the best fantasy book every written.

Hahaha.

In all seriousness though, glad you enjoyed it.

Look, this has gotten people who aren't into Fantasy, into fantasy. I think he's talking about the series as a whole. Not FFC alone.

And Time Magazine ain't coining just anyone the American Tolkien. These books have a magic to them that sets it apart from all the generic crap and even Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time.

People can deny it all they want, but this series is a serious contender for best Fantasy of all time.
When you can grab both critics and the mainstream, you've got something special.
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/5-30-2014/7jSMUQ.gif

User Info: Lord Seth

Lord Seth
1 year ago#10
To this day, I think the conclusion of the second live action movie (Death Note 2: The Last Note) was probably the best possible conclusion. Things progress similarly up through Light killing L. However, due to thinking L is dead, Light slips up... and is then caught by L, who it turns out wasn't dead. L wrote his own name in the Death Note before Light did, therefore negating Light's attempt to kill him. Things play out largely the same as they do in the conclusion of the anime/manga, and then L dies 20 days later due to the Death Note. Near and Mello never appear. It's a downright ingenious way to essentially move up the ending to the conclusion of the first part, and I appreciate the pyrrhic nature of the victory (a simple triumph over Light by L would have been rather dull).
"If you make the outcome of the match about passion, then you might as well be saying that the loser just didn't want it enough." -Kei Tachikawa
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. Few questions befoee I start a feast for crows.
  • Topic Archived