• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What if George R.R. Martin dies? (Song of Ice and Fire spoilers)

User Info: UnrivaledKoopa

UnrivaledKoopa
5 years ago#11
ManaYuka posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...
There's flat out no way he can finish book 7 before the TV series gets there.

And honestly, I'm still mostly doubtful the TV series will even last that long. It's already lasted three seasons longer than I thought it would, but nobody can really believe it's gonna stick around for 8+ years, can they?

The HBO owner said GOT is on for as long as they need to finish it.

David and Dan Said they plan on 8 seasons before finishing. They said Season 4 is halfway through the show.

As for finishing Book 7(if that is indeed the final book) then he would have to have it being finished or closed to being finished by Season 7's end so they can start writing the scripts.....it can happen.

The show's ratings are phenomenal, so unless the Feast and Dance seasons suck them dry there's no way the show is ending before they're ready to end it.

I do think the most likely scenario, though, is that the TV series has to come up with their own ending, though, and if GRRM dies my expectation is that everything he's written so far will be revised and amended as necessary by a ghost writer just to make sure the story flows properly, and then the material he's finished would be released, and that would be that. The TV ending would have to stand as the "canon" ending, and everything else will be left up to the fans for several years, when whoever controls his estate needs money and pawns off the rights to someone looking to make a buck, claiming to have recently discovered new notes left behind by GRRM.
I never wanted to be a serial killer, anyway.
I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK! - Dexter Morgan

User Info: RufusCorvus

RufusCorvus
5 years ago#12
If he dies, then the book series is over, but the show will go on. If the show overtakes the books, Benioff and Weiss have permission to do what they want, IIRC.

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
5 years ago#13
RufusCorvus posted...
If he dies, then the book series is over, but the show will go on. If the show overtakes the books, Benioff and Weiss have permission to do what they want, IIRC.

That was required before the series even started for George to allow them to do whatever they wanted to do with all of the characters and story.

However, George told them how the series ends, so they can either use that and create a story flow to get to that ending, or make up their own ending.
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Info: Fitchaber10

Fitchaber10
5 years ago#14
If TWOW comes out before the show overtakes the books then I could see the show simply inferring what they think would happen and then using the major plot points GRRM spoiled for them incase he dies.

User Info: rockyoumonkeys

rockyoumonkeys
5 years ago#15
ManaYuka posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...
There's flat out no way he can finish book 7 before the TV series gets there.

And honestly, I'm still mostly doubtful the TV series will even last that long. It's already lasted three seasons longer than I thought it would, but nobody can really believe it's gonna stick around for 8+ years, can they?

The HBO owner said GOT is on for as long as they need to finish it.

David and Dan Said they plan on 8 seasons before finishing. They said Season 4 is halfway through the show.

As for finishing Book 7(if that is indeed the final book) then he would have to have it being finished or closed to being finished by Season 7's end so they can start writing the scripts.....it can happen.

Yeah it's nice that the folks in charge say that, what about the actors? Some of them aren't going to want to do this for at least four more years.

Seriously, god help you all if Peter Dinklage decides he wants out.
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
5 years ago#16
Dinklage leaving? repeatedly spoke up about how much he loves the show and the writing, it would be weird for him to just leave especially when he is halfway done.

I think the reputation of the actors go south if they leave a show like this, directors will label them hard to work with etc. unless something like a sickness
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Info: pa22word

pa22word
5 years ago#17
Honestly after books 4/5 idgaf anymore. If he finishes them, he does. If not he doesn't and I'll move on woth my life.
http://abload.de/img/tumblr_mfvn5o76zz1qj0ifxg5.gif

User Info: Psycho_Poodle

Psycho_Poodle
5 years ago#18
I wouldn't mind if Joe Abercrombie took over. The guy released a kickass 6-book series in a 6-year timespan, and even beats GRRM in a few ways.
Kneel, or you will be knelt.

User Info: pa22word

pa22word
5 years ago#19
Psycho_Poodle posted...
I wouldn't mind if Joe Abercrombie took over. The guy released a kickass 6-book series in a 6-year timespan, and even beats GRRM in a few ways.

Name this "kickass 6 book series". I know nothing about the dude, but would be willing to check him out if it's okay.
http://abload.de/img/tumblr_mfvn5o76zz1qj0ifxg5.gif

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
5 years ago#20
The actors are likely all under lengthy contracts. Plus the large number of stories means that they don't have to do too much work.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What if George R.R. Martin dies? (Song of Ice and Fire spoilers)
  • Topic Archived