• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What would Barristan Selmy have done? *spoilers*

User Info: Psycho_Poodle

Psycho_Poodle
7 years ago#1
1. What would Ser Barristan have done if he was in Jaime's position? Would he have killed Aerys to save the city and its people? Would he have allowed Aerys to self-destruct the city? Or would he have found a third option, such as capturing Aerys by knocking him unconscious in order to protect him from himself?

2. If Dany goes nuts and becomes The Mad Queen, will Barristan remain loyal to her? Would he be able to kill her and become the Queenslayer? Or would he become a villain in order to keep his oath to her?
Give up the funk, you punk!
You WILL dance, sucka!!

User Info: alucard884

alucard884
7 years ago#2
Not bang Cersei.
I'm sure one of the strongest heavy hitters of the human race could either take a bear or put up one hell of a fight. - Deadpool_18

User Info: Usurpationblitz

Usurpationblitz
7 years ago#3
1) I don't know if he would have killed him, but he wouldn't have stayed loyal. The only reason I think this, and it isn't a lot of proof, is the fact that he says that he would have killed King Robert, after bending the knee, if he had saw him smile when the Lannisters laid out the bodies of Aegon and Rhaenys.

There is no doubt in my mind that he would have saved the city, but I don't think he would have killed him.

2) It all depends. In all we know about him, his breaking point is the death of children. He also stood up to Aerys II and had him spare the life if Dantos. If Dany starts killing children, which I doubt will happen, Barristan will remain by her side. The only other he might break from her side is if she converts to R'hllor.
I got married on April 4th, 2010
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac158/Usurpationblitz/TGOrlandu-1.png

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
7 years ago#4
I agree that Selmy would have stopped Aerys. He'd have killed him if necessary but as a last resort. I don't see him turning against Dany. I don't see Dany becoming evil. If anything, he wants her to worry less about the weak in Essos and get to Westeros more quickly.
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
7 years ago#5
Barristan Selmy has been foreshadowed to betray Dany, and I think Aegon will be the reason, since his "claim" is stronger, and itll be very awesome scene

Dany IS the definitely going to be more Viserys, since here ADWD chapter after she talks with him she agreed to use the dragons how they should have been used and to bring her enemies fire and blood rather than try for peace.

Whether Viserys was "mad" or just a spoiled, bitter man is into question(same with Joffrey, Aerys after Duskendale etc.) But Dany definitely seems like she is "mad" because of all her visions and things telling her to use her dragons to kill....sounds just like Aerys after Duskendale, he just didnt have dragons, he had wildfire.
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
7 years ago#6
I think Barristan would've failed where Jaime succeeded, for no other reason than we would've been internally torn up about it and acted too late.

Even though there's no doubt he would *know* what the right thing to do is, his honor would stay his hand until it was too late. Hell, it took two dead kings before he finally said "no more" and was willing to do what needed to be done and become a leader rather than a follower just for the sake of Dany and her dragons. He didn't have that mind set during Robert's rebellion.

It's not easy for a career soldier to make that mental switch of always following orders without question to giving themselves orders.

Barriston is the hero King's Landing deserves, but Jamie is the hero they need.

User Info: AndreLeGeant

AndreLeGeant
7 years ago#7
@Mana: what else should she do with her dragons?
I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I am your sXe hero.
They should build a mosque in mecca. Right next to the dome of the rock. -- Lord Sideous

User Info: Samuri

Samuri
7 years ago#8
Sir Barristan the "Bold" simply isnt that bold imo.

He would think about it, but by the time he made a decision it would have been too late.

Also Jamie was given an order to kill his father. Barristan as far as I know would not have that issue, So Jamie had that to push him over the edge. But Barristan, always see him as a follower never a leader type.
The life of the wife is ending by the knife.

User Info: ManaYuka

ManaYuka
7 years ago#9
AndreLeGeant posted...
@Mana: what else should she do with her dragons?

Causing death and destruction is bad, its something Dany struggled with throughout ADWD, whether she should try for peace or just go for all out war, the thing is once Dany got the peace she wanted, she said herself that she feels like she was defeated rather than acquire peace, and once the peace was given to her she became paranoid and started preparing to basically break the peace with power. Dany hated peace, she wants fire and blood. This is why Daario was so enticing to Dany, he represented war to Dany when she tried to suppress that part of herself, but she couldn't. She felt nothing for Hizdarh because he represented peace.
Best show: Game of Thrones Best game: Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
Favorite People- Carl Sagan and Neil deGrasse Tyson

User Info: Junta_Jast

Junta_Jast
7 years ago#10
I agree that I don't think that Selmy had it in him to take out Aerys unless his child protection instinct kicked in, which was pretty unlikely.

I also think that Selmy will betray Dany for Aegon. I think that there will be a confrontation there and when Dany goes to battle against Aegon it will be the last straw and he will stab her in the back, literally or figuratively.
Song of the Week: Kaori Kobayashi - Walk In The Night ~~~ http://youtu.be/EDfyuglz8uU
NaughtyGhost - "Cute is nice but it doesn't pay the bills"
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What would Barristan Selmy have done? *spoilers*
  • Topic Archived