• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What is the appeal of R.A. Salvatore?

User Info: narcotic_narc

narcotic_narc
6 years ago#1
every story i've read of his is pretty forgettable and uninspired. I mean, Drizzt is basically Batman with swords.

is his market demographic people new to the fantasy genre? that's the only reason i can think of as to why he's so successful. He doesn't really do anything new, from what i can tell.
PSN: Kallanev

User Info: ParasiteKola

ParasiteKola
6 years ago#2
Fight scenes galore. In a genre of world building, sometimes you just want to read about someone getting their ass kicked.
"Video games don't make people more violent, and I'll kill anyone who disagrees."~~Gord

User Info: jeeves

jeeves
6 years ago#3
He was one of the first, if not the first, to start writing D&D novels so he was new in that respect.
But for the most part he just does very good pulpy fantasy. Nothing brilliant true, but he is one of the better authors at writing fight scenes.

User Info: rockyoumonkeys

rockyoumonkeys
6 years ago#4
He's a pretty decent entry point into the fantasy genre. Like a lot of people, he was one of my entry points, along with Terry Brooks.

And hell, I still have a weakness for "Batman with swords". Granted, I haven't read a Salvatore book in over a decade, but for the most part, I still prefer that kind of stuff to the kind of "adult" fantasy a lot of people here prefer, the medieval intrigue with nary a dragon or magic spell in sight.

Give me a quest novel of a small band of farmboys off to defeat a dark shadowy faceless evil any day.
X360: RockYouMonkeys
Now Reading: Chasm City, A. Reynolds

User Info: Smokey_Bera

Smokey_Bera
6 years ago#5
The Icewind Dale Trilogy was my introduction into fantasy and I loved it. Given I was only like 15 at the time. Salvatore's books are geared more toward the young adult audience.

And Batman can't summon a spectral panther so Drizzt>Batman.
One love
One heart

User Info: Abyssmal_Fiend

Abyssmal_Fiend
6 years ago#6
The biggest criticism of Salvatore is not that his novels lack depth. They trend towards young adult fiction; lacking depth basically comes with the genre (though that's by no means true across the entire spectrum). The biggest criticism of Salvatore is that his books rapidly became formulaic and followed similar patterns for series after series. Some of them were interesting and novel (Icewind Dale, Dark Elf), but most of them were just rehashes of the same old, same old. Hell, he even recycled villains (Entreri) with remarkable regularity.

But, beyond that, it's important to remember that his books just tend to be easy to read and easy to enjoy. He lacks literary quality, yes, but he can be entertaining. He's not for everyone (I grew out of it), but I can definitely see why people like him. Just like how I can see why people like the Night Angel trilogy despite the fact that almost everyone agrees it is very unremarkable aside from just being a fun read.

And, as mentioned earlier, he's one of the earliest D&D-inspired authors. There have been better ones since (I'd say Greenwood's Elminster is a much better character than Salvatore's Drizzt, even if Elminster is even more ridiculously overpowered), but he definitely helped create that sub-genre. I know a few people who have lost interest in D&D and still read Forgotten Realms campaign novels.
"Erst waegen, dann wagen." - Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

User Info: MasterLamora

MasterLamora
6 years ago#7
narcotic_narc posted...
I mean, Drizzt is basically Batman with swords

I fail to see how this is a problem right here.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

User Info: Ruzinus

Ruzinus
6 years ago#8
I mean, Drizzt is basically Batman with swords.

I think you answered your own question.
FOR THE LUNDRAY!
"It's really big, but it's cursed."

User Info: WarBeagle

WarBeagle
6 years ago#9

is his market demographic people new to the fantasy genre?

I think you nailed it right there. The Drizzt books are very approachable compared to other, denser fantasy series. The first two trilogies are enjoyable but I personally wouldn't recommend anything beyond the Icewind Dale and prequel trilogies because they tend to degenerate pretty quickly into really bad fantasy cliches, like dead characters being resurrected and the like.
Intel Core i5 2500K; 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Socket 1155); 1280MB GeForce GTX 570;

User Info: MasqueofComus

MasqueofComus
6 years ago#10
I loved the Drizzt books when I was younger. I'm gonna give Homeland, Exile and Sojourn to my nephew when he's at the right age to read them. He's 8 right now, when do you think I should give them to him?

He was more than Batman with swords to me, though that comparison is awesome. Those books were a way for me to cope with racism. I picked up the Icewind Dale trilogy when I was 11 or 12. I had just moved from the North West Territories to a place in Southern Ontario. I had to deal with a lot of bigotry up north and I had to deal with some more where I moved. This became even worse after 9/11. Funny enough, Drizzt helped me not hate myself for my skin colour.
Outta work means no play.
  1. Boards
  2. Books and Literature
  3. What is the appeal of R.A. Salvatore?
  • Topic Archived