• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  3. I'm stuck thanks to a poor oversight.

User Info: lostn

lostn
1 year ago#1
I'm in the Lost Temples. I have a mini boss fight with about 8 diving birds that can turn electric and become immune to your zap magic.

The problem is that the save checkpoint is far away and I'm on low health.

There is a shop just before the boss fight where you can pay 20g to refill your health and another 40g if you want an elixir. I pay the 20g to refill, but can't save after paying the 20g.

So I die to the boss fight, and respawn some distance back and since I had only 3 hearts at the time the game was saved, I will always respawn with 3 hearts, so I have to pay the 20g again. The problem is, you don't get your 20g back when it reloads the checkpoint. Any gold you've spent is not returned to you when you respawn. And every time I die, I have to pay that gold again. So I lose 20g every time I die, or 60g if I bought the elixir.

The birds do a lot of damage to you, and your lightning usually heals at least some of them. You have to wait till they lose their lightning aura, but there's always half of them with it and half of them without.

Now I've run out of gold and can't pay the healing fee, so I have to take on the boss with 3 hearts. A single hit and I die.

You can say that I suck or whatever, but there is still that oversight they didn't think about when they designed this.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: Porkimus_Prime

Porkimus_Prime
1 year ago#2
@lostn eat em with Frog. The ones with lightning magic you cant eat right away but as soon as they turn "normal" u can eat them too. And by eating them it refills ur health
PSN: Porkimus Prime

User Info: Rune Caster

Rune Caster
1 year ago#3
The game is too hard overall... didn't really feel like a wonderboy game when you die 100+ times from start to the final finish of the game
You have to be careful with those bulls. For instance...
*is picked up by a bull and placed in the cow launcher* o_0 THWIP-P-P-P AHHHHHHHHHH! - TimeSpaceMage

User Info: LonelyGoomba

LonelyGoomba
1 year ago#4
I found the game pretty easy, my total deaths at 100% was 45. I thought the hardest part was the Snake boss at the very start tbh.

I think well...you should probably have more than 3 hearts by now? Maybe go back and explore some old areas and get some heart containers + better equipment. I feel like you mighta made a mess of it and rushed too much.
Retro reviews at
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLonelyGoomba

User Info: RoboFish

RoboFish
11 months ago#5
I feel like I had about 8 hearts at that point, and when I died at the boss I respawned with full health and my potion back, so you must be confused.

User Info: lostn

lostn
9 months ago#6
RoboFish posted...
I feel like I had about 8 hearts at that point, and when I died at the boss I respawned with full health and my potion back, so you must be confused.

Definitely not confused. There's no way a person can be dumb enough to "confuse" something like this.

Maybe they fixed it in a later update that I wasn't on. You replied 4 months later. That's the only explanation I can think of.

When you die and respawn, you return to the hearts you had when it last saved. Any money you spent though, is not refunded to you. But also any money you gained is not taken back. However, there was no money to be made. I had the misfortune of being low on hearts at the time it saved. This is how it was 5 months ago when I played it.

User Info: tanooki_suit

tanooki_suit
8 months ago#7
lostn posted...
RoboFish posted...

Definitely not confused. There's no way a person can be dumb enough to "confuse" something like this.

Maybe they fixed it in a later update that I wasn't on. You replied 4 months later. That's the only explanation I can think of.

When you die and respawn, you return to the hearts you had when it last saved. Any money you spent though, is not refunded to you. But also any money you gained is not taken back. However, there was no money to be made. I had the misfortune of being low on hearts at the time it saved. This is how it was 5 months ago when I played it.

No you're right the game is cheap as sin and the rating probably should be tough, not just right to tough. The game itself will respawn at a last save or checkpoint, but it also will restore the current level of life remaining and whatever items you had at the time of death. So as you get beat up or spend cash it diminishes your limited spells/gear and coin too. I laid off the game for so many months out of frustration with it I forgot, and just now I guess 6mo later I've picked it up again. I got a bit further but now I'm in that lost temple and I'm getting manhandled by these bomb dudes with only 4 hearts left and no restoratives and it keeps refreshing me as a battered gimp, trapped, and 2 hits due to the bombs tossed kill. I'm furious at it again and I'm someone who has been playing since the 80s and know what a tough game is that's fair (like Ghosts n Goblins) and one that's just playing off cheap factor abuse and this one is one of those.

This may be an homage to monster boy/wonder boy but it sure as hell doesn't feel it as I've played those. This is one of those faux retro games that try hard to be like old but do it the bad way with exploitative cheap abuse. I have little time for abusive bs type titles in my life anymore with a full time job and kid stuff after that. I can still finish them, just did the switch Ghostbusters title earlier, but that one was balanced, this one isn't.

User Info: FriggingChicken

FriggingChicken
8 months ago#8
This game isn't half as hard as it's said to be
It was foretold by gyromancy!

User Info: tacomachef

tacomachef
8 months ago#9
FriggingChicken posted...
This game isn't half as hard as it's said to be

Exactly. I'm about to wrap up the haunted manor and while some areas were difficult, nothing has been too crazy yet.
Push the button, Frank.
TvC: 1248-3232-0440 (T-CHEF) 3DS: 4656 - 7705 - 2038

User Info: Trunks891

Trunks891
6 months ago#10
I'm an admitted dunce at platformers, esp. 'retro' ones, and while I had a heck of a time at certain parts trying to figure out how to get 'Wombat A' into 'Wombazzle B' or whatever it was, I never felt it was absurdly difficult. It was more like "oh I'm a huge idiot, why didn't I do that 50 tries ago?" and the game auto-saves bunches on top of having myriad save points, some of which heal too. Stores & nurses aren't particularly rare either. I never found myself in a position where I couldn't backtrack ever so slightly to buy another potion and heal up my dude. It's a pretty painless/forgiving process of trial & error compared to similar games tbh. I don't think I've ever completed a sonic or mario game without cheats/rewind or help of some sort yet I'm trudging along here into the dark realm with damn near everything it's been possible to get so far I think. It's all about using the right abilities, armor, weapons, strategies at the appropriate times against the appropriate enemies-- just takes trial and error (and feeling like an idiot 80% of the time in my case lol) to figure it all out.
"But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong.... and priceless?" -Viktor, Suikoden
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  3. I'm stuck thanks to a poor oversight.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A