You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Same old dilemma with character creation...

User Info: Guardia1000

Guardia1000
2 months ago#1
I always fall into this hole. It's basically habit...

Every game I play involving character creation, my brain always seems to lean towards the classic 'sword & shield medical warrior' build. No magic, eventually down the line I add bow cause range. And race, I always end up picking a humanoid. Never seem to travel outside my safe zone. It's starting to get annoying.

Anyone else fall into this but? What's your go to? And any recommendations? I just grabbed this for Switch and am fully ready to move back in with a new too.
You can't take the sky from me...

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#2
Just do something else. You are in control after all are you not. :)
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: darkshadowspawn

darkshadowspawn
2 months ago#3
Plan the character out (a rough skeleton is fine) and then stick to the plan. Nothing wrong with deviating somewhat (for example, shoring up a weaker ranged option...switching Destruction magic for a bow until you can get a bit more Destructive power), you see...but when it leads you into a rut is where the issue lies.

I've personally got several characters to scratch certain itches...a Mage for my magic use, a Thief (my main) for the majority of it, a "Knight"-type for melee combat, and a Brawler for fun...and I've got one or two others in my head.
Dwell in peace in the home of your own being, and the messenger of Death will not be able to touch you.
-Guru Nanak

User Info: bigcatrik

bigcatrik
2 months ago#4
Neither of my main characters has been human. First I played as an Argonian to get the water breathing perk and then I played as a Khajit for the unarmed perk. My Khajit has evolved into a dual sword wielder, though. Unarmed and dual wielding have been pretty amazing (I'm in VR, sorry, I found this thread while Googling for a general Skyrim question).
(edited 2 months ago)

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#5
bigcatrik posted...
Neither of my main characters has been human. First I played as an Argonian to get the water breathing perk and then I played as a Khajit for the unarmed perk. My Khajit has evolved into a dual sword wielder, though. Unarmed and dual wielding have been pretty amazing (I'm in VR, sorry, I found this thread while Googling for a general Skyrim question).

You will find that not all on this board are actually even on the PS4 so no need to apologise.

User Info: MasterGamer72

MasterGamer72
1 month ago#6
You're not alone TC. I very much fall into this just about every time I create a character in any western RPG

I always make some white skinned dark hair male and pick whatever option ends up letting me use a sword lol

can't seem to get out of it. My thought is I always want to experience the game from a certain angle, I suppose.
Just because you can't see me, doesn't mean I'm not naked.

User Info: InflatableMan1

InflatableMan1
1 month ago#7
My favorite build is Breton destruction mage personally. Mage is hard at the beginning through the middle but after you get the adept and expert spells, its easier. Really fun to play through with only destruction and restoration (enchanting helps too)
FC: 3669-3493-9644 || IGN: Ryan
Discord: InflatableMan#6153

User Info: hellzyaaahhhhhh

hellzyaaahhhhhh
1 month ago#8
i fall into the must have it
best possible stats with everything
meaning leans to using everything aviliablke

kinda simi completion-est as some games i may never finish lol due to grinds
(skyrim looks like one thos games lol due to how leveling works)

but sadly this leads me to abuse skyrims many glitches to level up before doing anything due to some quest items randomly poping up/in main quest line that have well... how do they put it leveling items?
one of kind leveling items that base stats depend on your level (capping at 46? and 60 for the dragonborn dlc quest...)

possible worst idea toss in one kind unique items that get stats based on player level
(could see non uniques /not one kind items)
destiny 2 whisper catalyst everyone should have it help them get it
owner of 500m edition ps4 41,768/50,000 (as well as every other system made yolo)
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Prince_Hircine

Prince_Hircine
1 month ago#9
hellzyaaahhhhhh posted...

but sadly this leads me to abuse skyrims many glitches to level up before doing anything due to some quest items randomly poping up/in main quest line that have well... how do they put it leveling items?
one of kind leveling items that base stats depend on your level (capping at 46? and 60 for the dragonborn dlc quest...)

possible worst idea toss in one kind unique items that get stats based on player level

See, regarding your top paragraph.
I do this. My last save is a level 245 Altmer because best run speed and such. I had 145 hours or so. Then suddenly was like "I'm just not feeling it. I want to be a Nord"... And so I did.
I can't "get into" other races like I can Nords and Bretons. Skyrim is so geared towards Nords, I feel, that you feel somewhat out of place if you're not one.
That and I prefer the way they look. If I want to project what I will never aspire to be in a game, (tough, grizzled, billionaire master of everything) I don't think I would also be a giant cat-man.
Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-
What is it that makes a hunter great?

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#10
Prince_Hircine posted...
hellzyaaahhhhhh posted...

See, regarding your top paragraph.
I do this. My last save is a level 245 Altmer because best run speed and such. I had 145 hours or so. Then suddenly was like "I'm just not feeling it. I want to be a Nord"... And so I did.
I can't "get into" other races like I can Nords and Bretons. Skyrim is so geared towards Nords, I feel, that you feel somewhat out of place if you're not one.
That and I prefer the way they look. If I want to project what I will never aspire to be in a game, (tough, grizzled, billionaire master of everything) I don't think I would also be a giant cat-man.

Level 245 and you wonder why they look so stupid lol.

Now if you tried my level 1 but actually level 65 build ( No health upgrades at all ) you will find as a wolf can one shot you from behind the rest are some what problematic at times. : )
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Same old dilemma with character creation...