You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. This topic is spoiler heavy if you haven't played through either side on DG DLC

User Info: TurtleWarlord

TurtleWarlord
3 months ago#1
Let me preface this by saying I actually do like serana. I like her snark, and I like what she brings to the table as a character. I loved being a vampire and going against horkon, but I was a bit sad to... you know, betray him. I got attached, like i always do. But yeah; I like serana. She's pretty nice as a character. I actually had two characters, one an argonian female who became a vampire (and i switched back when the sun was annoying me) and another a big hulkin nord heavy armored guy. So. I finished the vampire questline. I decided I'd play through the dawnguard questline with my nord. Here was my reaction process:

"Aw, yeah! All the characters I just recruited are here-- wait, a vampire was trying to see me? Oh a vampire died! Maybe serana is trying to hunt me do... aaand she's right there. Alright, my nord dosen't like this obviously, I'll see what i can do. Ok, she's talking about her dad not liking the elder scrolls. Makes sense. And... she wants me to convince isran. I... have to agree? Uh... are there any begrudging options?... No?"

I get it. It's quick and it's easy to just remove the ability to have a choice. But serana was good-- for the vampire questline. And again, I think it's ok to have a streamlined plot where you can't make the sun not there, because then you'd probably have to have 1-2 npcs react to it. Actually, all of them. But seriously? My goal is to kill vampires and I don't even have an option to resist? I blatantly denied joining lord harkon. Couldn't they have had some kind of vampire cleansing ritual first? Something? I just feel like I'm playing through the same questline. Obviously, I am, but I don't want to feel like it when I'm with an entierly new faction!

To be honest, they should've just made serana something that stays with the vampires or w/e and have the player go on a stealth operation to steal it or listen in, maybe contract vampiritis and wear a face concealing hood, and then just made the quest the same because you know about the vampire's plans. Maybe serana could still be there, too, but do I really have to just... ACCEPT her? Like, not deny the fact that she's a vampire and be the force persuading isran? I'd be fine if it was like "oh you meet eachother in the soul cairn but she convinces you to try and look for her mom for information about her dad" and then you don't kill her. At least then you're given a reason. Some SEMBLANCE of a reason, that SOMEWHAT deviates the plot while leaving most of it the same. But no. Just serana.
Officially a human, no need to ask any questions.

User Info: gba1989

gba1989
3 months ago#2
I despise Serana for not being a marriage candidate. Chill gal, for a vampire... Potentially, the best wife follower.
She played me like a piano - Big Boss, MGS Peacewalker
They played us like a damn fiddle - Kazuhira Miller, MGS Ground Zeroes
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
3 months ago#3
she was carefully constructed to appeal to a remarkably large audience

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#4
She can be cured if you wish near the end. Just look it up but it is kind of a long process that maybe already too late for you.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: TurtleWarlord

TurtleWarlord
1 month ago#5
Olld-Onne posted...
She can be cured if you wish near the end. Just look it up but it is kind of a long process that maybe already too late for you.

My point is less "oh you can't work with a human" and more "I'm forced to work with a vampire"
Officially a human, no need to ask any questions.

User Info: Joshsun

Joshsun
1 month ago#6
Spoilers for the vampire hunters side, Serana does join you even when you join the vampire hunters. Which I did. After 3 or 4 days I put her in the Ranchwoman outfit and you may not notice it when your fighting them, but with Serana a good part of her butt does hang out in that outfit.

https://i.imgtc.com/6nzos1f.jpg
FC4399-2452-9478
(edited 1 month ago)

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#7
TurtleWarlord posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

My point is less "oh you can't work with a human" and more "I'm forced to work with a vampire"

It does grate at times if you like to be solo to have to babysit her to do this questline, especially if you character is against vampires and all. Still Isran is worse with the monster comment but freely talks to a progenitor of the vampire disease like he an her are old friends seconds later if you are one yourself.

Still once your finished you can tell her to shove her help where the sun does not shine because she will only complain it's to bright anyway or is that the great Skyrim weather when it's not sunny. I am not convinced Valerica locked her up for just Serana's and the the scrolls sake lol.

Joshsun
1 month ago#8
Olld-Onne posted...
TurtleWarlord posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

It does grate at times if you like to be solo to have to babysit her to do this questline, especially if you character is against vampires and all. Still Isran is worse with the monster comment but freely talks to a progenitor of the vampire disease like he an her are old friends seconds later if you are one yourself.

Still once your finished you can tell her to shove her help where the sun does not shine because she will only complain it's to bright anyway or is that the great Skyrim weather when it's not sunny. I am not convinced Valerica locked her up for just Serana's and the the scrolls sake lol.

Not sure if I call it babysitting. She does pull more than her share in battle.
FC4399-2452-9478

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#9
Joshsun posted...
Olld-Onne posted...
TurtleWarlord posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

Well she was not on my characters level so it depends on the build I guess. She messed up his sneak and pretty much could not kill anything before he did but then I play on Master difficulty which maybe the reason she struggled a bit more.

She did lose to a Bandit Thug however in that random spawn she has after the quest is finished. Not very impressive I felt. That Bandit lasted 5 seconds when he came for my character lol. She probably would be more useful to less honed builds I will grant however.

Joshsun
1 month ago#10
Olld-Onne posted...
Joshsun posted...
Olld-Onne posted...
TurtleWarlord posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

Well she was not on my characters level so it depends on the build I guess. She messed up his sneak and pretty much could not kill anything before he did but then I play on Master difficulty which maybe the reason she struggled a bit more.

She did lose to a Bandit Thug however in that random spawn she has after the quest is finished. Not very impressive I felt. That Bandit lasted 5 seconds when he came for my character lol. She probably would be more useful to less honed builds I will grant however.

She always seems used ice spells, in my game, a bandit would be no trouble. And assuming she lands a shot, does ok damage to blood and above dragons. Now I get more kills in a room of baddies, so assuming I am trap in a room of ten or so enemies, I may take out 7 or 8 of em, and she may take out 2 or 3. Which is ok, because I seem to mow down everything in my path.
FC4399-2452-9478
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. This topic is spoiler heavy if you haven't played through either side on DG DLC