You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Restartitis AKA character creation addiction

User Info: iknowright

iknowright
3 months ago#1
So, does anyone else the occasional case of restartitis from time to time?

I've got a main character and have around 280 hours so far in Skyrim on Switch alone. But I sometimes think "maybe I want to play a..." <insert race or build here>, spend a lot of time spinning up my new character to get their look just right. Then I'll escape from Helgen, get to Riverwood, maybe complete Bleak Falls Barrow and meet Jarl Balgruuf and slay the first dragon.

Then invariably I think "Ooh, I have a better name for this character" or want to change their chin or hairstyle or something, so I go back to my prisoner save, create another character, and repeat. Eventually I get tired of that and go back to my main, but creating characters just seems to be an affliction that comes up periodically. Anybody else get this?

User Info: darkshadowspawn

darkshadowspawn
3 months ago#2
Been there, done that...in multiple games. It was horrible (and horribly fun) with WoW and City of Heroes/Villains.

In Skyrim, I've got a handful of characters (Altmer Mage, Dunmer Thief, Breton "Knight", Khajiit Brawler); Fallout NV shows a past main (which I have back-burnered due to losing where I stored items), a new main (28 hours+ in, yet only level 10 and nowhere near Vegas), and a demolition/explosives build.
Dwell in peace in the home of your own being, and the messenger of Death will not be able to touch you.
-Guru Nanak

User Info: TurtleWarlord

TurtleWarlord
3 months ago#3
All the time. Usually how I fix it is I leave my switch on that screen, and if I decide I don't like it the next day, I change it and wait again. If I still don't like it, repeat. When I do, I continue. I also just make numerous files that're easy to access so I can switch between builds.
Officially a human, no need to ask any questions.

User Info: Prince_Hircine

Prince_Hircine
4 weeks ago#4
TurtleWarlord posted...
All the time. Usually how I fix it is I leave my switch on that screen, and if I decide I don't like it the next day, I change it and wait again. If I still don't like it, repeat. When I do, I continue. I also just make numerous files that're easy to access so I can switch between builds.

But... You can just use the Face Sculptor for your appearance :/
Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-
What is it that makes a hunter great?

User Info: Teremei

Teremei
4 weeks ago#5
I've done that for Oblivion. Like way too much. Then I realized how much time I wasted. And it's not like I even have my 360 or save file any more, so why was I spending that much time for? For Skyrim Switch, I just created a blonde nord female and spent about 15 minutes making sure she looked "not ugly" and went with it. Thankfully I've gotten over that OCD part of my life and can just get to enjoying the game.
Official Hyped dude for MK11 - You want it? Come get it
(I'll eat your brain)

User Info: Prince_Hircine

Prince_Hircine
4 weeks ago#6
Teremei posted...
I've done that for Oblivion. Like way too much. Then I realized how much time I wasted. And it's not like I even have my 360 or save file any more, so why was I spending that much time for? For Skyrim Switch, I just created a blonde nord female and spent about 15 minutes making sure she looked "not ugly" and went with it. Thankfully I've gotten over that OCD part of my life and can just get to enjoying the game.

I NEVER get over Skyrim OCD. But to be honest, as I said, you can just use the Face Sculptor for your appearance...
Ringo / Apex Jho / Slowking / AP Officer (more Alpha than Alpha) -4U HR 999, Gens HR 450+, LBG Main-
What is it that makes a hunter great?

User Info: UltDeadpool

UltDeadpool
4 weeks ago#7
Yeah, every time I get maybe a hundred hours in the game I want to make a new character and try things differently.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User Info: bluegender4ever

bluegender4ever
3 weeks ago#8
Yeah, I do this in pretty much any RPG that allows class selection. Even if I never play the character, I always think "this will be my heavy fighter, this one a mage, that's the sneaky thief guy" etc. And usually only play the same couple character archetypes many times anyway while the others rot, lol. Only if I have a good game for a long time will I really try out everything, like Baldur's Gate 2.

I have a save reserved right after getting out of the cart at Hadvar for brand new characters and at least one of each race started out in the Helgen Keep or right after exiting it. So far I've never played through on a High Elf, Wood Elf, Nord, or Argonian (who were much cooler in Oblivion with more of a push toward thieving and magic) but have done several Orcs and Bretons, a few Imperials (the "neutral" guys), two Dark Elfs including my one and only vampire, and a super fun Khajiit thief/assassin (I never play thief types, it was refreshing).

I love specialization in roleplaying games but unfortunately that aspect is rather (well, no pulling punchers here, EXTREMELY) weak in TES. Every character can do everything and it makes it boring that much faster when any differences they have are extremely minor and only temporary at best. It was only slightly better in Oblivion but your only real options there were "do I play with magic (i.e. how you should) or not (i.e. hard mode)."

Fallout 4 did the character building system so much better: not every character can really do everything (practically speaking, you can technically but you have to level into the 200s!) but whatever you choose to spec to is still powerful in its own right: Sneak or not, Power Armor or not, Rifles vs. Autos vs. Pistols, Big Guns isn't so impractical anymore, melee is badass instead of a joke, non-combat perks have a major effect like CHA and settlement building, etc etc etc. It's why I laud it as the best part of F4 by a mile.
23,000 Days in the fire was long enough, Robin, you've gone home...
RIP ROBIN WILLIAMS (July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014)
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Restartitis AKA character creation addiction