You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Good magic amount for illusion?

User Info: Loudannoyingboy

Loudannoyingboy
3 months ago#1
Ok, whew. So I decided to make a very... thief-y build for Skyrim this time. Obviously given infinite levels, which we have with legendary skills, I should have no problem whatsoever... but I’m kinda questioning a bit for one of my skills.

Here’s the build so far:
Argonian femalealso who the f*** put boobs on a lizard
150 health
160 stamina
100 Magicka
(Not gonna go into the specific perks but it’s some one handed some archery some lock picking some light armor and some sneak)
Now you may be thinking. Ok. This is p lit but what’s the problem, and where does the title come in?

I want her to also be an illusion mage. I’m at level 12, now, without a point in Magicka. But the illusion spells are expensive. I can see myself getting 200 but I likely won’t be able to dual cast, and that’s level 22. Since I haven’t put any points into illusion, is it even worth persuing without grinding?

User Info: darkshadowspawn

darkshadowspawn
3 months ago#2
As a Thief-type character myself, I found that it wasn't what I was hoping for...of course, I planned for this character to shun magic almost completely (aside from a few minor "tricks": Candlelight and Magelight). That said, unless you're having trouble with groups of enemies, a good portion of the spells are nearly useless (Calm, Fear, Frenzy, and the like); as a full-on thief and if I went that route, I'd really only use Muffle (so I'm not wasting an enchantment slot), Invisibility (which, as a vampire, I can do anyway), and maybe the Quiet Casting perk (it seems to affect certain shouts, as well).
Dwell in peace in the home of your own being, and the messenger of Death will not be able to touch you.
-Guru Nanak

User Info: InflatableMan1

InflatableMan1
3 months ago#3
if you're going JUST illusion, you don't need much magic, just enough to cast the master spells twice by the time you have them, with whatever armor you'll have on
FC: 3669-3493-9644 || IGN: Ryan
Discord: InflatableMan#6153

Loudannoyingboy
3 months ago#4
darkshadowspawn posted...
As a Thief-type character myself, I found that it wasn't what I was hoping for...of course, I planned for this character to shun magic almost completely (aside from a few minor "tricks": Candlelight and Magelight). That said, unless you're having trouble with groups of enemies, a good portion of the spells are nearly useless (Calm, Fear, Frenzy, and the like); as a full-on thief and if I went that route, I'd really only use Muffle (so I'm not wasting an enchantment slot), Invisibility (which, as a vampire, I can do anyway), and maybe the Quiet Casting perk (it seems to affect certain shouts, as well).

I took your advice to heart by doing the exact opposite of what you said, as my problem was that I was having problems with groups of enemies. The spells definetly help now; fury at a distance lets me kill, and fear up close prevents people from hurting me, at a mere 180 Magic.

I also, on an entirely unrelated note, became a vampire lord and I hate how it made my character look. She was pink and named valentine before. Now she’s an ugly yellow. Id have been fine with a pale pink, or keeping some semblance of her old color.

darkshadowspawn
3 months ago#5
Loudannoyingboy posted...
I took your advice to heart by doing the exact opposite of what you said, as my problem was that I was having problems with groups of enemies. The spells definetly help now; fury at a distance lets me kill, and fear up close prevents people from hurting me, at a mere 180 Magic.

I also, on an entirely unrelated note, became a vampire lord and I hate how it made my character look. She was pink and named valentine before. Now she’s an ugly yellow. Id have been fine with a pale pink, or keeping some semblance of her old color.

Note that I included a caveat...

...unless you're having trouble with groups of enemies, a good portion of the spells are nearly useless (Calm, Fear, Frenzy, and the like)...

I haven't had issues with groups myself, as I'm stealthy enough to be able to pick them off singly while still staying safe. In fact, there have been a few group fights in which I've been fairly close to the enemies and still haven't been detected...I recall a fight with a dragon priest that had a cloak spell up; the enemies were close enough to damage me with the cloak, but they didn't see me...even as I picked them off at that distance.
Dwell in peace in the home of your own being, and the messenger of Death will not be able to touch you.
-Guru Nanak

Loudannoyingboy
3 months ago#6

...unless you're having trouble with groups of enemies, a good portion of the spells are nearly useless (Calm, Fear, Frenzy, and the like)...

I haven't had issues with groups myself, as I'm stealthy enough to be able to pick them off singly while still staying safe. In fact, there have been a few group fights in which I've been fairly close to the enemies and still haven't been detected...I recall a fight with a dragon priest that had a cloak spell up; the enemies were close enough to damage me with the cloak, but they didn't see me...even as I picked them off at that distance.

I’ve resigned myself to being found as soon as I fire the first arrow or stab the first guy in the back, unfortunately. And true. Drat! I suppose I did listen to you...

darkshadowspawn
3 months ago#7

I’ve resigned myself to being found as soon as I fire the first arrow or stab the first guy in the back, unfortunately. And true. Drat! I suppose I did listen to you...

I did manage a 100 Sneak early on, so I suppose it could play a part.
-Guru Nanak

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
3 months ago#8
Here's an illusion mage build that uses no skill points anywhere except the illusion tree.

0% magicka
100% health
0% stamina

Atronach Stone
100 Illusion, all perks taken (even the half cost ones)
Seeker of Sorcery

Circlet of Peerless Illusion (bought at lv40+ from radiant raiment or wherever)
Archmage's Robes
Ring of Peerless Illusion (bought at lv40+ at radiant raiment)
Savos Aren's Amulet

Total Magicka available: 250
Invisibility cost: 31 <- self explanatory but this having a low cost is convenient to help cast master level spells
Fury cost: 6 (17 dual cast) <- better than frenzy due to its lack of AoE and dual-cast usually lets it work on high level targets too
Pacify cost: 27 (75 dual cast) <- sometimes needs to be dual-cast to affect high level targets
Frenzy cost: 19 (54 dual cast) <- usually causes more harm than good, but can be cast several times in quick succession even when dual cast
Rout cost: 29 (82 dual cast) <- actually op; enemies cannot attack you for 30s even as you damage them, unlike the calm spells
Harmony cost: 98 <- possibly the most god-like spell in the game
Mayhem cost: 92 <- fun; not particularly strong on legendary difficulty however
Hysteria cost: 80 <- arguably more efficient than harmony, lasting 60 seconds and serving a similar purpose in dungeons but is almost 25% cheaper

Totally playable this way.
You can also get some gloves or a helmet with magicka.
If you don't want to level up to ~40 for the high-tier illusion cost reduction items, you can instead use:

Ring of the Erudite
Archmage's Robes
Vokun
Savos Aren's Amulet

This gives you 350 total magicka without spending a single stat point on it. You can get 50 more as an Altmer and 25 more if you erect a Julianos Shrine in your hearthfire home (and visit it every hour or two). Many players try cooking Elsweyr Fondue for another 100 magicka for ten minutes, but I wouldn't bother with any of that. The ~350 is fine and you can comfortably cast any illusion spell quietly and consistently on virtually any target, with magicka spare to backup if you miss a couple of times for some reason despite their generous AoE. Spells will cost about twice as I showed earlier and thus this setup is generally worse for pure illusion, but it also can let the player comfortably cast conjuration, restoration, and alteration spells if you are interested in those spell schools as well, without taking fun out of the game by having to train enchanting/alchemy or anything like that. In my opinion Destruction spells need to be cast too often to sustain with this minimal level of effort towards equipment, but the other spell schools are perfectly fine.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: TurtleWarlord

TurtleWarlord
3 months ago#9
redtide1962 posted...
Here's an illusion mage build that uses no skill points anywhere except the illusion tree.

0% magicka
100% health
0% stamina

Atronach Stone
100 Illusion, all perks taken (even the half cost ones)
Seeker of Sorcery

Circlet of Peerless Illusion (bought at lv40+ from radiant raiment or wherever)
Archmage's Robes
Ring of Peerless Illusion (bought at lv40+ at radiant raiment)
Savos Aren's Amulet

Total Magicka available: 250
Invisibility cost: 31 <- self explanatory but this having a low cost is convenient to help cast master level spells
Fury cost: 6 (17 dual cast) <- better than frenzy due to its lack of AoE and dual-cast usually lets it work on high level targets too
Pacify cost: 27 (75 dual cast) <- sometimes needs to be dual-cast to affect high level targets
Frenzy cost: 19 (54 dual cast) <- usually causes more harm than good, but can be cast several times in quick succession even when dual cast
Rout cost: 29 (82 dual cast) <- actually op; enemies cannot attack you for 30s even as you damage them, unlike the calm spells
Harmony cost: 98 <- possibly the most god-like spell in the game
Mayhem cost: 92 <- fun; not particularly strong on legendary difficulty however
Hysteria cost: 80 <- arguably more efficient than harmony, lasting 60 seconds and serving a similar purpose in dungeons but is almost 25% cheaper

Totally playable this way.
You can also get some gloves or a helmet with magicka.
If you don't want to level up to ~40 for the high-tier illusion cost reduction items, you can instead use:

Ring of the Erudite
Archmage's Robes
Vokun
Savos Aren's Amulet

This gives you 350 total magicka without spending a single stat point on it. You can get 50 more as an Altmer and 25 more if you erect a Julianos Shrine in your hearthfire home (and visit it every hour or two). Many players try cooking Elsweyr Fondue for another 100 magicka for ten minutes, but I wouldn't bother with any of that. The ~350 is fine and you can comfortably cast any illusion spell quietly and consistently on virtually any target, with magicka spare to backup if you miss a couple of times for some reason despite their generous AoE. Spells will cost about twice as I showed earlier and thus this setup is generally worse for pure illusion, but it also can let the player comfortably cast conjuration, restoration, and alteration spells if you are interested in those spell schools as well, without taking fun out of the game by having to train enchanting/alchemy or anything like that. In my opinion Destruction spells need to be cast too often to sustain with this minimal level of effort towards equipment, but the other spell schools are perfectly fine.

...Huh. I guess it IS kind of an illusionist; I always thought of her as more of an agent. Yknow, co-ert, sneaking into places with the use of magic to get information/kill a guy, sneaking out, that sorta thing. But holy heck is this detailed! I'm gonna footnote this and use it as a guide for a future character. Say, want me to bore you with what i did for the skills though?
Officially a human, no need to ask any questions.

User Info: redtide1962

redtide1962
3 months ago#10
sure
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Good magic amount for illusion?